Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

my first roadbike, gear issue

Started by littlebiker · · Last activity · 11 posts · 1,764 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
29 September 2005
Last activity
29 September 2005
Original author
littlebiker
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,764
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi Pals,

    I have bought my first roadbike for about $300. I have attached the picture of the bike. It will arrive in a few days. Unfortunately, there aren't many bike companies in India and $300 is termed as 'quite expensive' for a bike here. Having said that I told by the manufacturer that only the next model which cost $500 has gear control on the handlebar. The bike which I bought doesn't have it on the handle bar. It's on the frame. i think it's noticable in the picture.

    Have you guys know of bikes that don't have the gear control on the handle bar? I am not a pro and am not going to be really 'racing'. Is it too bad not to have a gear control on the handle bar?

    This might be a silly question, so please don't mind 😉

    thank you!

    cheers,
    Shalin

  2. Your bike should be alright. It might help you to know that even Tour de France racers were using frame-mounted shifters only 15 years ago.

    Its no big deal. Enjoy your ride and don't worry about that stuff.

  3. I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing that piece of information. Gives me a lot of confidence.

    1. Another question, how important is the pedal strap which locks your shoes.

    2. Also, I have a tennis shoe, jogger and a walking shoe. I don't intend to buy a new 'cycling' shoe. However, would like to know which one is recommended. (I actually try both the jogging and walking shoe and see for myself which one is better. Since you guys might know it better here, thought would ask as well.)

  4. littlebiker said:

    I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing that piece of information. Gives me a lot of confidence.

    1. Another question, how important is the pedal strap which locks your shoes.

    2. Also, I have a tennis shoe, jogger and a walking shoe. I don't intend to buy a new 'cycling' shoe. However, would like to know which one is recommended. (I actually try both the jogging and walking shoe and see for myself which one is better. Since you guys might know it better here, thought would ask as well.)


    That looks like a nice rig for a first bike. Just get out there and ride that puppy!! A few years ago my only bike was a 2nd hand Shogun I bought for A$65. It had a rear derailleur that I found at a local rubbish dump! I rode it to work and home for 18 months before I got something better.
    The shoe with the stiffest sole is probably your best choice for riding, btw.

  5. I concur, for a first bike it looks like a fine ride. Shifting "on-the-bars" (STI) is a nice to have, and is handy for racing. The old tried and true downtube shifters are light weight, very reliable, and cheap to replace if you do manage to break one some how. You will learn your gears better and faster, and you will learn to anticipate shifts better as well.

    ride on brother

    H

  6. Thank you very much guys. This forum is very very encouraging. I can't wait to start riding on this bike. another 5 days! patience!! 😉

    thank you again!

    cheers,
    Shalin

  7. littlebiker said:

    Hi Pals,

    I have bought my first roadbike for about $300. I have attached the picture of the bike. It will arrive in a few days. Unfortunately, there aren't many bike companies in India and $300 is termed as 'quite expensive' for a bike here. Having said that I told by the manufacturer that only the next model which cost $500 has gear control on the handlebar. The bike which I bought doesn't have it on the handle bar. It's on the frame. i think it's noticable in the picture.

    Have you guys know of bikes that don't have the gear control on the handle bar? I am not a pro and am not going to be really 'racing'. Is it too bad not to have a gear control on the handle bar?

    This might be a silly question, so please don't mind 😉

    thank you!

    cheers,
    Shalin

    Your future bike is equipped with downtube shifters, which were what every high end road racing bike used before the integrated shift/brake levers were introduced. They work just fine and are in some ways better than the integrated shift/brake levers. Maybe they're not as "convenient" but they work just fine.

  8. Thanks Meehs, I would like to read up some technical comparisons of these 2 diff type of gearing system. I guess they really don't compete but if you guys know any good article read up that can tell me more this, please do share the link.

  9. meehs that is one butt-ugly dog! 😄

  10. fatboy61 said:

    meehs that is one butt-ugly dog! 😄

    LOL! I get mixed feedback on him. That's my boy Max. He's really quite a handsome fellow in my opinion. One other forum member thinks he's so ugly that I should change my avatar!

  11. I'm sure he'll look just fine when the skin-grafts heal up!! :p

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.