My Garage Has Been Taken Over

Gus Riley

Jan 12, 2004
Much to my wife's amazement my garage is being overtaken by the sport of bicycling. It has all the rideable bikes in it, where my basement has all the non-rideables such as frames, wheels, grouppos, tools and more.

Oh well, the garage is my domain...she hasn't gotten to the basement yet. :p

Does your garage look like its being over taken?

I know the inevitable question will be asked, "Why do you need so many bikes?" The answer is: I like them. I loan some of them to neighbors for our group rides. As a result some of them have caught the bug and bought their own bikes. More are becoming interested in our sport. Our group has grown from just me to eight riders now! To me this is amazing because our town is small, small, small, and out in the rural, rural, farm lands of central Illinois.

Gus Riley said:
Much to my wife's amazement my garage is being overtaken by the sport of bicycling. It has all the rideable bikes in it, where my basement has all the non-rideables such as frames, wheels, grouppos, tools and more.

Oh well, the garage is my domain...she hasn't gotten to the basement yet. :p
That is a sweet looking setup you've got there. I am totally jealous.

And if your wife complains, tell her about Man Rule # 16. "The basement and/or garage of any house belongs to the man. The woman gets the rest of the house."

:D

Nice set-up. Is that a Raleigh Competition frame you have hanging up in the last photo?

kdelong said:
Nice set-up. Is that a Raleigh Competition frame you have hanging up in the last photo?

No, there are two Raleigh frames hanging. One is a R800 the other is an R700. I put over 3,000 miles on the R700 in South Korea over a one year period. It did me good. Now it hangs in temporary retirement.

DrunkenBiker said:
That is a sweet looking setup you've got there. I am totally jealous.

And if your wife complains, tell her about Man Rule # 16. "The basement and/or garage of any house belongs to the man. The woman gets the rest of the house."

Absolutely spot on in my house. (I hope she doesn't read bike forums :eek: )

What would be the brand of bike with the motor? I am currently shopping for one of those to add to my collection of non motored bikes.

dbackmtg said:
What would be the brand of bike with the motor? I am currently shopping for one of those to add to my collection of non motored bikes.

That's likely a Gold Wing or summat. You know, a land barge on two wheels.

I too am in the market......but for this:
002_RSVmille_R.jpg

Real motorcycles don't have a reverse gear! ;)

alienator said:

002_RSVmille_R.jpg

Thanks for the pic Alienator. This is so beautiful I think I just had a small accident in my undies.

Veramente bella.

Gus Riley said:
Aegis Aro Svelte (Single) for solo, and to Pick up the kids at school is the Santana Triplet.
That is very cool. I love the idea of the school commute with the Triplet.

Of course, that would get me killed (along with the offspring) in Rome city centre traffic, but definitely tres chic!

alienator said:
It lowers the insurance premium.
Good point, but it looks extremely fast, even sitting still. Training wheels or not, the insurance would be on par with a Ferrari:eek: !

dbackmtg said:

It's a 1985 Gold Wing LTD (1200cc). I purchased it new in 1985 and have had it ever since. We've been coast to coast on it 4 times and it still has less than 50K miles on it.

Pictured is another use for my garage...Home Brew!!!! In the winter time...too cold to ride?...then brew beer!! :p

alienator said:
...I too am in the market......but for this:

...Real motorcycles don't have a reverse gear! ;)

That's a beauty!! My old bike doesn't come with reverse. But I'd love to have a new one that has that option!

alienator said:

002_RSVmille_R.jpg

I test rode one at Americade a few years back. Awesome bike, handled like a dream. The Tuono (sp) is even nicer. I'm getting a Triumph Speed Triple in the spring.

Gus Riley said:
It's a 1985 Gold Wing LTD (1200cc). I purchased it new in 1985 and have had it ever since. We've been coast to coast on it 4 times and it still has less than 50K miles on it.

Pictured is another use for my garage...Home Brew!!!! In the winter time...too cold to ride?...then brew beer!! :p

So, the bike is just broken in! You can take it over 3000 rpm's now. My friend had one only in burgandy. I ran into a guy back when I use to ride who had a 1985 with 214,000 miles on it. He said there was no major work done to it yet. We should have alienator push one of those backward while seated sometime. I think he might change his mind about reverse.

kdelong said:
Good point, but it looks extremely fast, even sitting still. Training wheels or not, the insurance would be on par with a Ferrari:eek: !

Actually, you'd be surprised. Less than a grand a year for full comp insurance.

Now, iffin' I were 18....or livin' in LA, that'd be a different story. I do get a 15% discount for bein' a certified perv.

Gus Riley said:
That's a beauty!! My old bike doesn't come with reverse. But I'd love to have a new one that has that option!

Yeah, but your Wing looks more like a motorcycle than the the new ones.

dbackmtg said:
I test rode one at Americade a few years back. Awesome bike, handled like a dream. The Tuono (sp) is even nicer. I'm getting a Triumph Speed Triple in the spring.

The Tuono is nice, just an RSV Mille with higher bars and minus some bodywork. Alas, only a few naked bikes really make me feel randy....and one of those is a Speed Triple. Nice choice! The sound of a triple winding out is music to me ears....almost as nice as a twin.