UK and Europe · Public discussion

My good deed for the day.

Started by Simon Mason · · Last activity · 8 posts · 626 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
18 April 2004
Last activity
19 April 2004
Original author
Simon Mason
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
626
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Last year I fished out this old racer from the Humber and
    restored it to its former glory.

    simonmason.karoo.netpage470.htm

    This prompted a bloke from the other side of the city to
    e-mail me, misty eyed as he had had one as a teenager and
    would I sell it. Since acquiring a new road bike recently,
    it is unlikely I will ever ride it again, so I asked him if
    he wanted it for nowt. Just dropped it off at his house and
    he was dead chuffed - and would I take a few cans of beer
    in exchange.

    Sure I said and he handed me six cans of John Smiths Extra
    Smooth! Didn't have the heart to tell the bloke that as a
    card carrying member of CAMRA, I wouldn't clean my driveway
    with the stuff and instead took it away with good grace :-)

    Our lass was going mad at me saying I should have got money
    for it. She doesn't understand that sometimes you get more
    pleasure out of doing things for sheer philanthropic
    reasons. She said who did I think I was, Jesus, going around
    to strange houses giving stuff away? Mental joy outweighs
    monetary gain any day - that said, he did offer me 30 quid a
    while ago ;-) Would have bought me a new lock to counter the
    security goons at work.

    --
    Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
    simonmason.karoo.netsimonmason.karoo.net

  2. "Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Last year I fished out this old racer from the Humber and
    restored it to


    its

    Quoted message said:

    former glory.

    simonmason.karoo.netpage470.htm

    This prompted a bloke from the other side of the city to
    e-mail me, misty eyed as he had had one as a teenager and
    would I sell it. Since acquiring


    a

    Quoted message said:

    new road bike recently, it is unlikely I will ever ride it
    again, so I


    asked

    Quoted message said:

    him if he wanted it for nowt. Just dropped it off at his
    house and he was dead chuffed - and would I take a few
    cans of beer in exchange.

    Sure I said and he handed me six cans of John Smiths Extra
    Smooth! Didn't have the heart to tell the bloke that as a
    card carrying member of CAMRA,


    I

    Quoted message said:

    wouldn't clean my driveway with the stuff and instead took
    it away with


    good

    Quoted message said:

    grace :-)

    Our lass was going mad at me saying I should have got
    money for it. She doesn't understand that sometimes you
    get more pleasure out of doing


    things

    Quoted message said:

    for sheer philanthropic reasons. She said who did I
    think I was, Jesus, going around to strange houses
    giving stuff away? Mental joy outweighs monetary gain
    any day - that said, he did offer me 30 quid a while ago
    ;-) Would have bought me a new lock to counter the
    security goons at work.

    Good karma, well done.

    Same thing has happened to me on the beer front! Did a
    favour for a mate and received six cans of John Smiths in
    payment - still in a cupboard somewhere, well past sell
    by date now!

  3. Andy said:

    Same thing has happened to me on the beer front! Did a
    favour for a mate and received six cans of John Smiths in
    payment - still in a cupboard somewhere, well past sell by
    date now!

    You need to take it to a party and dump it. One friend of
    mine finally threw away a multipack of Carling or Carlsberg
    or some such that had been doing the rounds at family
    parties for years. When his brother dumped it on him, it was
    about 7 years past the best before.

    I managed to get rid of a load of Stella by finding a
    colleague who drinks the stuff.

    --
    Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
    speedy5.freeserve.co.ukdanny
    Why I like OE6 - speedy5.freeserve.co.ukoe6.html
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  4. Quoted message said:

    I managed to get rid of a load of Stella by finding a
    colleague who drinks the stuff.

    Pour it into those funny little 250ml 'stubs'. For some
    bizarre reason they make the lager taste ok. Drinking it at
    room temperature helps to bring out the flavour (what there
    is of it) as well.

  5. Danny Colyer said:
    Andy said:

    Same thing has happened to me on the beer front! Did a
    favour for a mate and received six cans of John Smiths in
    payment - still in a cupboard somewhere, well past sell
    by date now!

    You need to take it to a party and dump it. One friend of
    mine finally threw away a multipack of Carling or
    Carlsberg or some such that had been doing the rounds at
    family parties for years. When his brother dumped it on
    him, it was about 7 years past the best before.

    I managed to get rid of a load of Stella by finding a
    colleague who drinks the stuff.

    Jeez. Don't you lot know any teenagers?

    --
    Keith Willoughby flat222.orgkeith I'm feeling kind
    of Limehouse Chinese Laundry blues

  6. I said:
    Quoted message said:

    I managed to get rid of a load of Stella by finding a
    colleague who drinks the stuff.

    and Keith Willoughby said:

    Jeez. Don't you lot know any teenagers?

    The colleague in question is only 20, so near enough :-)

    --
    Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
    speedy5.freeserve.co.ukdanny
    Why I like OE6 - speedy5.freeserve.co.ukoe6.html
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  7. "Keith Willoughby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Danny Colyer said:
    Andy said:

    Same thing has happened to me on the beer front! Did a
    favour for a mate and received six cans of John Smiths
    in payment - still in a cupboard somewhere, well past
    sell by date now!

    You need to take it to a party and dump it. One friend
    of mine finally threw away a multipack of Carling or
    Carlsberg or some such that had been doing the rounds at
    family parties for years. When his brother dumped it on
    him, it was about 7 years past the best before.

    I managed to get rid of a load of Stella by finding a
    colleague who drinks the stuff.

    Jeez. Don't you lot know any teenagers?

    --

    As an 18 year old myself (albeit one who doesn't drink) I
    can support the fact that teenagers that like alcohol won't
    turn their nose up at anything. At all.

    Drives me mad to be honest - drinking just because they can
    rather than want to really, don't see the point...

    --
    Sue

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    As an 18 year old myself (albeit one who doesn't drink) I
    can support the fact that teenagers that like alcohol
    won't turn their nose up at anything. At all.

    Drives me mad to be honest - drinking just because they
    can rather than want to really, don't see the point...


    My eldest suffered her first real hangover this week, on
    shooters of balieys, vodka and stella! but the thing that
    really upset her was the info her friends gave her about
    what she got upto while drunk, it was all in public though,
    so not two much for a farther to worry about (I hope!) He
    was 21, and if I ever catch up with him...;( She's 16yo btw.
    As a father, I don't condon such carrings on, but one has to
    be realistic, and she was with friends in one of thier
    houses, so it was a *safer* environment than some I've been
    drunk in. She's currently off alcohol 🙂
    --
    .paul

    If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving is probably not
    the sport for you.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.