"Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
Quoted message said:
OK. I thought foodstuffs were generally *more* expensive in
Italy than in the US. Even the stuff they export cost less here,.
I thought.
For the most part, yes. The Euro is 1.34 right now and changing the balance.
I was able to get some good buys on average wines, but the really good ones
were no bargain for the tourist. The bargains come from buying from the
neighbor in bulk, a common practice. At the Penny Market (sort of a
discount chain) I found wine for less than $2 a bottle, but it was not worth
hauling back to the villa, let alone to the states.
Meats in the supermarket were equal or higher priced than here. Fish was
more plentiful and a much larger selection. It was far more likely to have
the butcher cut your meat rather than just take a package from the counter.
Eggs were sold buy the dozen, half dozen, or even a two pack. The meat
selection at the deli counter was different that you see here. Must have
been 6 varieties of ham, both crudo and cotto, at least 10 varieties of
salami, two of Mortadella, but I saw no roast beef or chicken or turkey
loaf. The cheese selection, both local and imported, was huge. I could
have spent months trying different ones every day.
They did sell some prepared foods like cooked chicken and porketta, some
pasta dishes, and salads.
The selection and entire inventory of sliced breads would fit on the top of
your desk, but the selection of breads by the loaf was huge, probably 15
varieties.. Fruits and veggies were a pretty good selection also. Very
little in the way of canned goods compared to US markets.
Keep in mind, my view was only at the Penny Market and the Coop, both chains
in the area so that can vary in other places. We also found a local Bar and
Tabacchi that sold meats, cheeses, some prepared foods, pastries, etc. This
is likened to our convenience stores, but they do have some seating and
smaller grocery selection. A Bar in Italy is not like a bar here. Yes,
they do sell drinks, but most likely you are getting your coffee and lunch
there. Oh, and lottery tickets.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/