rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

My knees are sore?

Started by oldandmoldymat · · Last activity · 20 posts · 361 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
22 May 2006
Last activity
15 March 2007
Original author
oldandmoldymat
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
361
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My knees hurt any suggestions, its fine if im going straight but its
    when im trying to lurn how to idle that they hurt. It feels as if i get
    all tense and then the muscle gets sore mostly around the top and the
    sides of my knee. Im starting to do some strengthening excercises. Any
    how any suggestions would be great. Thanks alot mat

    --
    oldandmoldymat

    i ride like buddah nature exsploding and imploding into the
    nothingness.....and well...the everythiangness.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    oldandmoldymat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12076
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  2. Stretch before and after every ride...No mater how long or short it may
    be.

    --
    trials_uni

    TRIALS 4 LIFE !

    Quoted message said:

    <>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF<><


    'Check Out The Newbie Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/99yez)

    koebwil said:

    I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
    letters I don't want

    w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    trials_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10953
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  3. ive been riding uni on and off for a year or two. Butnever really
    attempted to idle untill i got my new uni. So fairly new i guess. Any
    tips on idling?

    --
    oldandmoldymat

    i ride like buddah nature exsploding and imploding into the
    nothingness.....and well...the everythiangness.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    oldandmoldymat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12076
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  4. I learnt a new tip at BUC that has greatly improved my idling.
    Put as little weight as possible on the top foot. If your wheel twists
    it's because there is too much weight on your top foot.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cathwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9425
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  5. Actually I have on occassion got sore knees while unicycling. My knees
    used to hurt when I was learning - due to jarring when I hit the floor
    I thought. Also the first time I played unihockey I had a swollen knee
    the next day. Sometimes my knees click when I'm riding the 29er with
    140mm cranks.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cathwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9425
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  6. oldandmoldymat said:

    im still learning to succomb all my wieght to the seat.

    That's why you're so sore. As you practice, it will get better. You
    would get as sore. I wouldn't sweat idling until you can ride "as long
    as you want" with your weight on the seat.

    Incidentally, I never purposed to learn idling very well. I learned a
    bunch of other skills in higher levels, and then one day I realized
    that I could idle with one foot. Only after idling with one foot did I
    really solidify my (two footed) idling technique, which probably has
    something to do with what Cathy mentioned--keeping your weight off of
    your top foot.

    --
    phlegm
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  7. cathwood said:

    I learnt a new tip at BUC that has greatly improved my idling.
    Put as little weight as possible on the top foot. If your wheel twists
    it's because there is too much weight on your top foot.

    Cathy[
    This is a pearl of widom.
    Although I can ride backward OK I always have difficulty doing the
    transition from forward to back (ie the basic idling requirement).
    Anyway, having noted Cathwood's post quoted above, I went straight out
    and proved to myself that it not only works but is the key that I was
    lacking.

    I am most grateful for your insight.

    --
    tedward
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tedward's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12206
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  8. tedward said:


    cathwood said:


    This is a pearl of widom.
    Although I can ride backward OK I always have difficulty doing the
    transition from forward to back (ie the basic idling requirement).
    Anyway, having noted Cathwood's post quoted above, I went straight out
    and proved to myself that it not only works but is the key that I was
    lacking.

    I am most grateful for your insight.

    How exciting. I wish I could take credit for the insight,
    unfortunately it was Steve Granger who told me. But glad I could
    helpfully pass it on.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cathwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9425
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  9. tedward said:


    cathwood said:

    I learnt a new tip at BUC that has greatly improved my idling.
    Put as little weight as possible on the top foot. If your wheel twists
    it's because there is too much weight on your top foot.

    Cathy[
    This is a pearl of widom.
    Although I can ride backward OK I always have difficulty doing the
    transition from forward to back (ie the basic idling requirement).
    Anyway, having noted Cathwood's post quoted above, I went straight out
    and proved to myself that it not only works but is the key that I was
    lacking.

    I am most grateful for your insight.

    hmmm... i learned hop-180 b4 i started going backwards... but what if
    you turn sharp

    --
    skrobo

    *><> Unicycle For Christ <>< PM me if you would like to
    join!!!*

    skianduniaddict said:

    im to hard core to use my elbows i either use my head or the mouse
    swungs as a whip

    yeah buddy thats right ... uni 4 christ 🙂
    -stephen skrobarczyk- cctx 🙂
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  10. skrobo said:


    tedward said:

    hmmm... i learned hop-180 b4 i started going backwards... but what if
    you turn sharp

    What?

    --
    cathwood

    Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cathwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9425
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  11. poo?

    --
    cruisecontrol
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cruisecontrol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10970
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  12. if u put some more wieght in the seat you might take some strain and
    weight off ur legs

    --
    tomtrevor

    wanna see wacked bikes at their best visit www.mediahug.com/bikes
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  13. Yeah.
    I have the same problem.
    My knee (usually the right one) gets sore under the kneecap.
    I have tried the "weight in seat" and "using less force" but pain
    always sets in.
    To date, I'm still not that good at it.
    Normal riding, going backwards, hard muni, and all other types of
    riding do not cause the pain.

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com

    Wishing you Happiness, Joy and Laughter,
    Drew Brown
    'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  14. do you ride for long periods of time? becasue it might be lactic acid
    build up, i know its common when you walk for a long time.

    --
    tomtrevor

    wanna see wacked bikes at their best visit www.mediahug.com/bikes
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  15. tedward said:


    cathwood said:

    I learnt a new tip at BUC that has greatly improved my idling.
    Put as little weight as possible on the top foot. If your wheel twists
    it's because there is too much weight on your top foot.

    Cathy[
    This is a pearl of widom.
    Although I can ride backward OK I always have difficulty doing the
    transition from forward to back (ie the basic idling requirement).
    Anyway, having noted Cathwood's post quoted above, I went straight
    out and proved to myself that it not only works but is the key that I
    was lacking.

    I am most grateful for your insight.

    I can't wait to try this tomorrow when I transition. 🙂

    --
    Unibugg
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unibugg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14480
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  16. Raise your seat!! I have been struggling with sore knees with longish
    Muni rides. Got a Salsa quick flip so I can move the seat up while
    climbing or going flat and lower it while doing technical stuff. No
    more sore knees!

    --
    jrdugueod

    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jrdugueod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12054
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  17. oldandmoldymat said:

    My knees hurt any suggestions, its fine if im going straight but its
    when im trying to lurn how to idle that they hurt. It feels as if i get
    all tense and then the muscle gets sore mostly around the top and the
    sides of my knee. Im starting to do some strengthening excercises. Any
    how any suggestions would be great. Thanks alot mat

    You may have room to raise your seat some. I was told that sore knees
    are most often caused by having the seat too low (leg not fully
    extended on lowest pedal position) and when learning to idle to
    definitely raise the seat to your maximum allowable. Good Luck. I'm
    still learning to idle also.

    --
    OneForTheRoad
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OneForTheRoad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14352
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  18. Pain:

    On top of the knee, raise the seat.
    Back of knee, lower the seat.

    --
    BluntRM

    '
    Marxist Internet Archive' (http://www.marxists.org/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BluntRM's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12994
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  19. k i have a problem with my lower back getting sore when i sif hop.
    im fairly new at SIF hopping, and crank stalls etc.
    is that why it hurts?
    i think it could also be that i have a weak back anyways
    and its usually the first thing to become sore in anything i do

    my neck hurts from time to time also...

    --
    xsunnyd591x
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    xsunnyd591x's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14470
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

  20. are you riding a 'suspension uni'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58796) :p

    --
    tobbogonist

    ivan said:

    I wish Gilby would finally ip-ban this Bush-guy. QUOTE]


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tobbogonist's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12176
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49662

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.