My Monday morning commute

Clive George wrote:
> "Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Clive George wrote:
>>
>>> Visual inspection is sufficient - IME you can see if a cable is ok.

>> Ah. They could saved a few man hours at the Forth Bridge, then.

> Yeah - if it was made of 1.6mm cable rather than ones several orders of
> magnitude larger. It's not exactly hard to inspect a brake cable...

>>> Ah. SS are quite a lot better IMO because they don't suffer from
>>> rotting away in the way galvanised ones do. More expensive, but I
>>> reckon it's worth it. I'll not have cables failing because I saved a
>>> few pence by buying substandard cable :)

>> Right, add that name to the rich b?st?rd list for first against the
>> wall come the revolution. Signed, Chairman, Workers for Affordable
>> Cable (galvanized section).

> Hey, I'm not the one who said they were happy replacing their cables
> whether they needed it or not, and bugger the cost...

Ok, I've taken your name off the list and added mine. Now I'm off to
check my intended humour signalling skills.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Martin Dann
[email protected] says...

> I was talking to a swimming pool life guard a few years ago, and he said
> that the last thing you want to to is jump in after someone else. If
> they are splashing around, they could knock you out, creating two
> casualties. Also, at this time of year, the water will be very cold, and
> will be a big shock to your system.

So wait until they pass out or get hypothermia - then they can't thrash
around. :)

On Feb 19, 6:07 pm, Tom Crispin
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:52:24 +0000, Paul Boyd
>

> <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:
> >Tom Crispin said the following on 19/02/2008 16:27:

> The biggest problems I have is with bent noodles and missing cable
> caps causing split ends.
>
> To replace a damaged noodle the cable end must be cut off, the cable
> unclamped, damaged noodle removed, new noodle put on, cap put on cable
> and the cable reclamped.

I am too tight to buy my own cable cutters (for teh amount of use they
get) and too lazy to borrow my mum's ones so I just coil up the excess
cable and loop the end around to hold the loop. The loop sits in the
same plane as the frame and looks neat enough for me. The end f the
cable is soldered and doesn't fray and could be threaded through a new
noodle (if I had V-brakes)

> With the lower body weight and weaker fingers of most children, I
> don't think that a broken brake cable is a likely outcome on a
> reasonably well maintained bike.

Probably not. A good hard tug on teh brakes by an adult will
presumably break a failing cable before it reaches the point at which
the children have sufficient strenght to do the same

best wishes
james