rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

My New Seat (many pix)

Started by Checkernuts · · Last activity · 7 posts · 308 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
21 May 2005
Last activity
21 May 2005
Original author
Checkernuts
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
308
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So low and behold my friend Sean, a puppet maker had some extra foam
    around his shop that he was able to give me today. It is a firm closed
    cell foam that is typically used in kayaks of all places. The foam is
    3/4" thick( 19mm) Heres how I did it.

    1) Begin with one airseat Take it apart and re drill holes forward to
    put rail adapter in a better position for seat in front grip.
    [image: http://www.pitt.edu/~mtc26/images/IMG_0129.jpg]
    2) Take 2 peices of foam and glue them into one big peice. I used rubber
    cement from old patch kits that I didnt use the whole tube.

    [image: http://www.pitt.edu/~mtc26/images/IMG_0135.jpg]

    3) Finnished larger peice. Make sure you let the rubber cement dry on
    both sides before putting the halfs together you get a much stronger
    bond this way.
    [image: http://www.pitt.edu/~mtc26/images/IMG_0136.jpg]

    4) Trace the CF base on the foam and cut out using a sharp box cutter
    blade and this is what you get.
    [image: http://www.pitt.edu/~mtc26/images/IMG_0142.jpg]
    5) So you pack up the foam into the seat cover pull it as tight as
    possible, add some bumpers and what do you know? You are done!

    Back view shows how low profile the seat now is, usually you'll see a
    roach badge here I pulled that slack out of the cover however.

    [image: http://www.pitt.edu/~mtc26/images/IMG_0145.jpg]

    The side profile shows that the Roach cover is a bit too tall to fully
    streach over the foam and baseplate without a bit of excess material.
    [image: http://www.pitt.edu/~mtc26/images/IMG_0146.jpg]

    I'm expecting a new seat post from Darren in a few days I'll report on
    how it rides when that comes in.

    Cheers for now
    Mike

    --
    Checkernuts - Breakdancer Extraordinar

    No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
    odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
    to do it right. H20

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40560

  2. Hey dude how did you get so many pics in one post. Ive only been able to
    use img tags on pics i fing usin google, how did you get your own pics
    in there. I tried tagin some from my gallery but just couldnt do
    it....
    |
    |
    |
    V

    --
    caw89 - Cody

    'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)

    'sixsixone' (http://sixsixone.com/)

    AIM: unicaw89
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40560

  3. I uploaded all the pix to my own account on the pitt.edu server and then
    used IMG tags to link the pictures to the post.

    --
    Checkernuts - Breakdancer Extraordinar

    No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
    odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
    to do it right. H20

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40560

  4. does the link have to end with .jpg img. bit.etc Do you know how to
    attach pics like from my gallery or like taht, cause i can only use whta
    i find in google, i cant attach myspace pics or my pics

    --
    caw89 - Cody

    'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)

    'sixsixone' (http://sixsixone.com/)

    AIM: unicaw89
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40560

  5. First off, that foam looks like it's really stiff. I hope I'm mistaken
    and the seat is comfy! 😉

    Second of all, check out 'imageshack' (www.imageshack.us). You can
    upload your pictures there, and then use the IMG tag in the post window
    to add them. It even creates the code for the boards automagically, so
    all you have to do is paste it into your post.

    It's a very useful service 🙂

    --
    flyer - Level 3 Unicyclist
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40560

  6. I'd say the foam is just slightly more firm than the stuff the Kris uses
    in his seats. This seat is going on my trials unicycle so comfort for
    long rides is not my concern. My original air seat that I took apart for
    this project was super comfy, I just hated it for trials. I'm hoping
    that the feel of this seat will be forgiving enough for shorter rides
    and firm enough to offer an nice solid grip for seat out.

    As some people know I have been using Viscount saddles on my trials
    unicycle for the last 4 years because of their seat out feel. I'm hoping
    that this seat at probably a pound lighter, and at a seat angle that I
    can adjust is going to be what I am looking for in a trials seat.

    Well I'm off to paint my frame today, wish me luck.

    Mike

    --
    Checkernuts - Breakdancer Extraordinar

    No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
    odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
    to do it right. H20

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40560

  7. Your new seat looks really nice, good job.

    Checkernuts said:

    * Well I'm off to paint my frame today, wish me luck.

    Mike *

    What kind of frame? and what color?

    -Lee

    --
    leeman180 - i should be out riding

    'My Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Lees-Uni-Stuff) - last
    updated 5/20/05
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    leeman180's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8441
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40560

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.