Triathlon · Public discussion

My parents think I'm nuts

Started by John Hardt · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,046 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Triathlon
Published
21 March 2003
Last activity
21 March 2003
Original author
John Hardt
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,046
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,

    I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
    participation in sprint and olympic races, but they've never been able to attend a race (we live on
    opposite ends of the country) and now they think I'm nuts.

    So, does anyone know of a good resource (preferably on the web) that will explain to a triathlon
    outsider what an ironman is, what the history of the event is, what it takes to do one, etc -
    essentially what this sport is all about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family
    really does want to understand what their son is up to.

    John

  2. John Hardt <[email hidden]> wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
    participation in sprint and olympic races, but they've never been able to attend a race (we live
    on opposite ends of the country) and now they think I'm nuts.

    So, does anyone know of a good resource (preferably on the web) that will explain to a triathlon
    outsider what an ironman is, what the history of the event is, what it takes to do one, etc -
    essentially what this sport is all about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family
    really does want to understand what their son is up to.

    John

    Two things:

    1) You are crazy, as is everyone who does an ironman. You seem to think it's a bad thing?

    2) This looked prety good for an overview:

    motionsportsmanagement.comfaq.asp

  3. I think the best site for Ironvirgins is trinewbies.comtrinewbies.com.

    Enjoy, Harry

    John Hardt <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
    participation in sprint and olympic races, but they've never been able to attend a race (we live
    on opposite ends of the country) and now they think I'm nuts.

    So, does anyone know of a good resource (preferably on the web) that will explain to a triathlon
    outsider what an ironman is, what the history of the event is, what it takes to do one, etc -
    essentially what this sport is all about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family
    really does want to understand what their son is up to.

    John

  4. John Hardt said:

    I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
    participation in sprint and olympic races, but they've never been able to attend a race (we live on
    opposite ends of the country) and now they think I'm nuts.

    Smart parents.

    Go buy a motorcycle - that will distract them.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

  5. Have them read this book...

    amazon.comsr=8
    -2/ref=sr_8_2/103-6139573-8459038?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

    "John Hardt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
    participation in sprint and olympic races,


    but

    Quoted message said:

    they've never been able to attend a race (we live on opposite ends of the country) and now they
    think I'm nuts.

    So, does anyone know of a good resource (preferably on the web) that will explain to a triathlon
    outsider what an ironman is, what the history of


    the

    Quoted message said:

    event is, what it takes to do one, etc - essentially what this sport is


    all

    Quoted message said:

    about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family really


    does

    Quoted message said:

    want to understand what their son is up to.

    John

  6. My son,

    I couldn't resist the temptation to comment. Nuts go great with sausage. Are they big or small?
    Smoking nuts while smoking sausage - now that's a treat!

    Fr. Guido

    "Frank Tantillo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Have them read this book...

    amazon.comsr=8
    -2/ref=sr_8_2/103-6139573-8459038?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

    "John Hardt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of
    my participation in sprint and olympic races,


    but

    Quoted message said:

    they've never been able to attend a race (we live on opposite ends of the country) and now they
    think I'm nuts.

    So, does anyone know of a good resource (preferably on the web) that will explain to a triathlon
    outsider what an ironman is, what the history of


    the

    Quoted message said:

    event is, what it takes to do one, etc - essentially what this sport is


    all

    Quoted message said:

    about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family really


    does

    Quoted message said:

    want to understand what their son is up to.

    John

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.