I've had a LOT of flats lately but the ones I am wondering about are
caused by water getting under the patches on my tires (gluess and
standard)and rendering them useless.Is there a waterproof glue
(Goop)?Or is there a way to seal the tire to the rim,I was thinking
along the lines of Vaseline (as opposed to silicone).Thanks.
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
My patches are falling off
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 29 September 2005
- Last activity
- 5 October 2005
- Original author
- Mister2u
- Posts
- 23
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 730
- Views / 30 days
- 3
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Mister2u said:
I've had a LOT of flats lately but the ones I am wondering about are
caused by water getting under the patches on my tires (gluess and
standard)and rendering them useless.Is there a waterproof glue
(Goop)?Or is there a way to seal the tire to the rim,I was thinking
along the lines of Vaseline (as opposed to silicone).Thanks.Water doesn't have any affect on patches that are glued on properly. Think
about the classic way of decting a slow puncture: put the tube underwater to
look for air bubbles. That's never lifted any of my patches, nor has riding
in the rain.Sand tube, apply glue, let it dry, apply patch. Do not test the repair by
inflating until tube is fitted.~PB
-
Could be due to very worn tires I think if you put water on your
patches for long enough,just testing a flat isn't the same thing,you
might have the same problem.Pure conjecture on my part of course . -
Mister2u said:
I've had a LOT of flats lately but the ones I am wondering about are
caused by water getting under the patches on my tires (gluess and
standard)and rendering them useless.Is there a waterproof glue
(Goop)?Or is there a way to seal the tire to the rim,I was thinking
along the lines of Vaseline (as opposed to silicone).Thanks.Could be the glue or humidity effecting the glue. I've used Goop before on
lotsa things and it's always worked/held for me. Are you lightly sanding the
tube before applying the patch?
---
Splat -
Yes I'm doing everything by the book,a patch won't hold even under
perfect conditions if it isn't applied correctly. -
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:31:51 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <p@melonbiggs{remove
fruit}.tc> wrote:[---]
Quoted message said:
Sand tube, apply glue, let it dry, apply patch.
Sorry for what is probably a very naive question, but what type of
glue is it? Reason for my question: I've normally just used the glue
supplied with the patch kits I buy (usually Rema).Today, in a hurry, I bought a "no-name" kit in a supermarket, and on
opening it, had the annoying surprise to discover that the
manufacturer had omitted to pack the tube of glue with the kit, so
I'll need to find some, if possible. -
Mister2u said:
I've had a LOT of flats lately but the ones I am wondering about are
caused by water getting under the patches on my tires (gluess and
standard)and rendering them useless.Is there a waterproof glue
(Goop)?Or is there a way to seal the tire to the rim,I was thinking
along the lines of Vaseline (as opposed to silicone).Thanks.Find the hole, buff an area larger than the patch, apply the contact
cement / glue, let dry, remove backing from patch being careful not to
tuch the back of the patch, apply the patch, apply lots of pressure to
the repair, re-assemble, ride.Ken
-
I've done all that, the patch works fine until it ages and is exposed
to water then it peels off,we're going around in circles here,maybe no
one has ever had a similar problem and it's diffucult to grasp what I'm
trying to explain.I can't say for certain that it isn't my patching
technique >thanks for the feedback. -
Andrew Price said:
Sorry for what is probably a very naive question, but what type of
glue is it? Reason for my question: I've normally just used the glue
supplied with the patch kits I buy (usually Rema).Today, in a hurry, I bought a "no-name" kit in a supermarket, and on
opening it, had the annoying surprise to discover that the
manufacturer had omitted to pack the tube of glue with the kit, so
I'll need to find some, if possible.I only know it as "rubber cement" or "rubber solution". Should be available
separately from your local bike shop, or in another supermarket kit.Those in the UK can buy glue & patches cheaply from:
http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp~PB
-
Mister2u said:
I've done all that, the patch works fine until it ages and is exposed
to water then it peels off,we're going around in circles here,maybe no
one has ever had a similar problem and it's diffucult to grasp what
I'm trying to explain.I can't say for certain that it isn't my
patching technique >thanks for the feedback.You have to wonder why no one else experiences the problem. I can only
think that either you ride much more in deep water than anyone else or there
is something wrong with your tubes/patches/glue/technique. With the
conventional patches, it's most likely technique that could be improved, I
suspect. With the glueless patches, they're probably simply not up to the
job.If water was a common problem for patches then it would have been mentioned
on this newsgroup many times over the last few years. I can't recall
reading about it once.Even though you are having problems with both types, for a start it would be
wise to stop using "glueless patches", which generally don't stick as well
as the conventional type.~PB
-
"Mister2u" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
I've had a LOT of flats lately but the ones I am wondering about are
caused by water getting under the patches on my tires (gluess and
standard)and rendering them useless.Is there a waterproof glue
(Goop)?Or is there a way to seal the tire to the rim,I was thinking
along the lines of Vaseline (as opposed to silicone).Thanks.Are you using it on a trainer. Trainer heats up the tire, and the patch
comes off. -
No
-
"Mister2u" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
I've done all that, the patch works fine until it ages and is exposed
How long? Are we talking generations here or "aging" overnight? Who was
the president at the time you applied the last patch that failed?
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training -
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email hidden]> wrote in
message news:ro__e.123118$Ep.10632@lakeread02...Quoted message said:
"Mister2u" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
I've done all that, the patch works fine until it ages and is exposed
How long? Are we talking generations here or "aging" overnight? Who was
the president at the time you applied the last patch that failed?
--
Phil, Squid-in-TrainingPardon me, let me rephrase that.
Who was the national leader of your state or country at the time you applied
the last patch that failed?
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training -
They're older patches(I think Liberace was president when I put them on)
-
Mister2u said:
I've done all that, the patch works fine until it ages and is exposed
to water then it peels off,we're going around in circles here,maybe no
one has ever had a similar problem and it's diffucult to grasp what I'm
trying to explain.I can't say for certain that it isn't my patching
technique >thanks for the feedback.Well if you are doing everything correctly your patches should hold.
Are you using 'glueless' patches? If so try conventionals. I use the
generic kits you can buy in your local x-mart and haven't had a patch
failure in a very long time.Ken
-
I may be entirely too literal-minded, and I don't mean to condescend or
insult you, so this may be a stupid question, but *where* exactly are
you putting the patches? You wrote, "water getting under the patches on
my tires," not "on my tubes." As you kept trying to describe the
problem, I kept wondering how that much water could get inside the tire
and "attack" the patch on the tube, but if, for some reason.... naaah,
that couldn't be it. I'm just amazed that no one has referred you to
some page on Sheldon's web site. Regards, Roy Zipris -
Roy Zipris said:
I may be entirely too literal-minded, and I don't mean to condescend or
insult you, so this may be a stupid question, but *where* exactly are
you putting the patches? You wrote, "water getting under the patches on
my tires," not "on my tubes." As you kept trying to describe the
problem, I kept wondering how that much water could get inside the tire
and "attack" the patch on the tube, but if, for some reason.... naaah,
that couldn't be it. I'm just amazed that no one has referred you to
some page on Sheldon's web site. Regards, Roy ZiprisDid you mean this page from Sheldons site:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.htmlKen
-
Both conventional and glueless patches have the same problem.The water
gets onto to tire(where the patches are) -
What I was asking, perhaps clumsily, was this: are you putting the
patch on the tube or on the tire itself?
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.