General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

my stomach is growing!

Started by Jer · · Last activity · 9 posts · 821 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
27 June 2005
Last activity
30 June 2005
Original author
Jer
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
821
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Alright, I will say it "I need some help." There I feel better....

    Ok, I've been weight lifting for about 2 years? And I'd say I've made
    fairly impressive gains, but I'm by no means buffed. The problem is is
    that I've noticed that my tummy has been growing at uncomfortable
    levels. Either it has always been doing this or its something I'm doing
    wrong lately.

    Put it to you this way. I am 5'10", weigh 179 lbs, and have a BF% of
    23%(the fat was ONLY found on the abs and back). also, if I measure my
    mid-section(like at my navel) I measure at about 38.5" - on an empty
    stomach. That is TOO much in my opinion. If I flex my muscles (upper
    body) I can defintely see good muscle definition everywhere - even
    after all the fat gained from an ordinary muscle gaining diet. But it
    just seems that I'm gaining way to much on the tummy. Its as if all the
    fat is not going to the rest of the body but instead going straight to
    my stomach. while all the proteins and carbs are going to the upper
    body. If my stomach grows anymore I may start looking as if I have a
    beer belly! If I suck in my stomach - with little effort - I actually
    look pretty good. Its amazing what JUST a stomach will do to the rest
    of your body. It determines whether you look fat or buffed.

    What do I do? I hate to go on a real diet and lose weight because I
    don't want to lose muscle mass. I will do it when I get up to 190-200
    lbs. yet I know that I can't spot reduce. How about losing weight and
    MAINTAINING muscle mass - is that possible?

    But I will admit during all of my weight lifting I never exersiced my
    abs or back. On my back I had trouble finding good excersices to put
    meat on effectively and on my abs, I just simply never did them. I
    didn't care for a 6-pack. But I figure the jogging would help keep it
    down some.

    But you may ask what is more important to me? It would be gaining
    muscle mass, but I can't stand seeing my tummy grow. How about adding
    weights to ab excersices to burn fat?

    or how about this?

    * eat three times a day.
    * weight lift intensively like I have been 3 times a week.
    * but jog more often - say about 3-4 times a week on the days I don't
    weight lift.
    * Or maybe jog twice in one day (morning and night).

    will this guarantee fat loss while mainting muscle mass? And there is
    one other important factor - I have a high matabolism. A guy told me
    that he too had a high matabolism and he said it is easier for us to
    lose fat then those with low matabolisms. But he said he didn't
    excersice his abs too much and he was able to keep body fat down on his
    abs.

  2. All I will say is you're not getting fat "only" around your waste. If that's
    the case, you're the most unique human ever to walk the earth. You just
    notice it there more. You HAVE to go on a diet, but keep working out. You
    will lose muscle...that's just how it works. Cardio, diet, eat a lot of
    protien and keep on lifting. It will come off. Just remember, there's more
    fat everywhere else, so it will make you look better all around, even if you
    do lose a little muscle.

  3. ok. a few questions then.

    1. Then what aerobic excersice is the most effective in fat loss?
    running? jump ropes?

    2. how often should I do aerobics?

    3. should my weight lifting still be as intense?

    4. how much less should I eat?

    5. and just HOW much muscle mass will I lose?

    6. how long should I stay on this diet? till I have 15% BF?

  4. oh and I would like to add that I do have fat all over my body...its
    just that ... that fat is acceptable where as the most fat can
    noticably be found on my waist and back.

  5. You're pregnant.

  6. Quoted message said:

    You're pregnant.

    So Charles has been humpin' Jer, huh?

  7. "Jer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ok. a few questions then.

    1. Then what aerobic excersice is the most effective in fat loss?
    running? jump ropes?

    2. how often should I do aerobics?

    3. should my weight lifting still be as intense?

    4. how much less should I eat?

    5. and just HOW much muscle mass will I lose?

    6. how long should I stay on this diet? till I have 15% BF?

    Okay, first of all pick something fun. I lost quite a bit of weight lifting
    while watching what I ate with not TOO much of aerobics.You look dumb doing
    it, but there's not much that can beat an elliptical machine for calories
    burned/exertion required/time taken. You don't stain to burn a ton of
    calories in a short time, in other words.

    How often? Depends. At least twice a week, I would assume.

    When I was trying to lose fat, I kept my lifting just as intense, if not
    moreso. Make sure you eat a good source of lean protein. You may hate it,
    but tuna in water with nothing on it just can't be beat. Make sure to take
    in carbs so that can still refule your muscles, however (protein with no
    carbs won't be nearly as effective after a work out).

    I would trim the meals down in size, but not frequency. Watch your fat, and
    stay away from too many carbs, and sugar for a bit. Eat about 5-6 times a
    day, and you will be fine. I'd say... 2000 calories or so?

    I forget the numbers, but I the muscle to fat ratio was pretty shocking. I
    won't throw numbers around if I don't know them off the top of my head, but
    it's up there. Just keep lifting and eating protein to keep it to a minimum,
    and you will be just fine. Besides, you'll look more ripped even if you DO
    lose some muscle, so no big deal.

    BF is up to you. How do you want to look/feel? I'm at 6.5, and it's a chore
    to stay there. You have to watch what you eat all the time, and people will
    insult you for eating so healthy when "you don't have to, you're too thin
    already." They say that 10% is where you start to see abs. So, depends on
    what goals you have in mind. I don't care about BF so much as I do about
    looks. I want to look ripped. Don't go by a scale and don't go by BF, go by
    how you want to look. Good luck, it won't be so hard, you just have to have
    dedication. I should know, as I was pretty chunky years back... I've had a
    total body overhaul, and soon you will, too.

    Steve

  8. Jer said:

    ok. a few questions then.

    1. Then what aerobic excersice is the most effective in fat loss?
    running? jump ropes?

    Running works.

    Quoted message said:

    2. how often should I do aerobics?

    0-3 times a week.

    Quoted message said:


    3. should my weight lifting still be as intense?

    If you can. I lose a lot off my squat if I run.

    Quoted message said:


    4. how much less should I eat?

    500 calories a day.

    Quoted message said:


    5. and just HOW much muscle mass will I lose?

    If you lift heavy, a little, maybe none.

    Quoted message said:

    6. how long should I stay on this diet? till I have 15% BF?

    34" waist.

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Jer said:

    Put it to you this way. I am 5'10", weigh 179 lbs, and have a BF% of
    23%(the fat was ONLY found on the abs and back). also, if I measure my
    mid-section(like at my navel) I measure at about 38.5" - on an empty
    stomach. That is TOO much in my opinion.

    Your body hates you. [$1 to Lyle]

    Quoted message said:

    What do I do? I hate to go on a real diet and lose weight because I
    don't want to lose muscle mass.

    Tough. Your body hates you.

    Quoted message said:

    I will do it when I get up to 190-200
    lbs. yet I know that I can't spot reduce. How about losing weight and
    MAINTAINING muscle mass - is that possible?

    What kind of drugs are you willing to use?

    Quoted message said:

    But I will admit during all of my weight lifting I never exersiced my
    abs or back.

    Oh, and you're stupid, too.

    Quoted message said:

    But you may ask what is more important to me? It would be gaining
    muscle mass, but I can't stand seeing my tummy grow. How about adding
    weights to ab excersices to burn fat?

    How about not believing in spot reducing?

    Quoted message said:

    will this guarantee fat loss while mainting muscle mass?

    No. Guess why.

    Seth
    --
    "There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate" -- Will Brink
    Except sushi rice, seaweed, and wasabi.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.