Road Cycling · Public discussion

My thoughts on Michelin Carbons

Started by Hell and High Water · · Last activity · 13 posts · 618 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
28 September 2005
Last activity
6 October 2005
Original author
Hell and High Water
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
618
Views / 30 days
10

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just switched from Vittoria Rubino 700 x 25 to Michelin Carbon 700 x 23.

    I'm frankly amazed at the difference.

    1. No flats yet. (I've done about 150 miles on the new tires and no
    flats yet. At the same time I added some 'Tuffy' liners, and installed
    brand new AirLock tubes. I'm going all out in my war on flats.)

    2. SMOOTHER! I was expecting a bit harsher ride from the 23's, but
    I've been pleasantly surprised. These tires ride very smooth!

    3. No leaks! On my old tires I seemed to have small leaks or
    something. I'd look down at the tires and see the tire 'widening' (for
    lack of a better term.) When I pumped them up to 100 psi, the max, I
    would see a pretty uniform width. No wider at the ground then anywhere
    else. However at the end of a long ride, or maybe the next day, I'd
    look down and I could see the tire flexing wider at the ground contact
    point. With the new Michelins, I do not see this. PSI is 115, IIRC.
    The tire is uniform with no flex at the ground.

    4. Great look! like the dark look with the BLACK/RED/BLACK. My old
    tires had a cream colored sidewall, and some red. These new tires have
    a much more aggressive look.

    5. Slightly higher average speed! Always a good thing.

    Overall, I'm VERY pleased!!

    My $00.02

    -Bianchi Bob

  2. Hell and High Water said:

    Just switched from Vittoria Rubino 700 x 25 to Michelin Carbon 700 x
    23.

    I'm frankly amazed at the difference.

    1. No flats yet. (I've done about 150 miles on the new tires and no
    flats yet. At the same time I added some 'Tuffy' liners, and
    installed brand new AirLock tubes. I'm going all out in my war on
    flats.)

    dumb question maybe, but how many flats would you expect?

    p

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Hell and High Water said:

    Just switched from Vittoria Rubino 700 x 25 to Michelin Carbon 700 x
    23.

    I'm frankly amazed at the difference.

    1. No flats yet. (I've done about 150 miles on the new tires and no
    flats yet. At the same time I added some 'Tuffy' liners, and
    installed brand new AirLock tubes. I'm going all out in my war on
    flats.)

    dumb question maybe, but how many flats would you expect?

    Not at all...

    I was having quite a problem on my old tires. One flat every few rides.

    Not that I've put a gazillion miles on these tires, but at least I'm
    encouraged that I haven't got one yet.

    <knocks on wood>

    -Bob

    Quoted message said:


    p

  4. I think the Carbons are fine tires and have no problem withyour choice.
    However, I think that being excited about no flats on new tires after
    150 miles might be a bit early. That is not a lot of mileage.

  5. Hell and High Water said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Hell and High Water said:

    Just switched from Vittoria Rubino 700 x 25 to Michelin Carbon 700 x
    23.

    I'm frankly amazed at the difference.

    1. No flats yet. (I've done about 150 miles on the new tires and no
    flats yet. At the same time I added some 'Tuffy' liners, and
    installed brand new AirLock tubes. I'm going all out in my war on
    flats.)

    dumb question maybe, but how many flats would you expect?

    Not at all...

    I was having quite a problem on my old tires. One flat every few rides.

    Not that I've put a gazillion miles on these tires, but at least I'm
    encouraged that I haven't got one yet.

    <knocks on wood>

    (Tempting fate)

    This is why I stick with Specialized slicks (1st Turbo Pro, then that
    was discontinued, so I went with Cipo Pro, then that was discontinued,
    now Mondo Pro). 120tpi, 700x23, 120psi.

    I've had one flat (slow leak) in 3,000 miles. I've rolled over lots of
    glass with these tires without problems (not on purpose).

    Of course, now I'll have a bad run, won't I?

    --
    Chris BeHanna
    '03 Specialized Allez Elite 27
    '04 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  6. "gds" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I think the Carbons are fine tires and have no problem withyour choice.
    However, I think that being excited about no flats on new tires after
    150 miles might be a bit early. That is not a lot of mileage.


    statistically, zero flats in 150 miles translates to one flat in fifty
    miles, with 95% confidence.

    Zero flats in a gazillion miles would, in comparison, yield a 95% confidence
    interval of somewhere between zero and three flats per gazillion miles
    ridden.

    It's found by using the nth root of p in some arcane fashion.

  7. <snippage of kudos to michelin carbons>

    I don't know if you had any issues, but I switched from michelins years
    ago 'cuz they were so damn tight that I could barely get them on the
    rims.

    I recently forgot about that and switched back (michelin carbons, I
    might add) which immediately brought back to mind the reason I quit
    using them.

    Not buying another pair.

    Sorry if that was a little gdaniels-ish.

    App

  8. I usually find that the problem you mention is from a lack of
    compatibility between specific rims and tires. I have no problem with
    Michelins on a set of Campy rims and can't use them on a set of Mavics
    that I have.

  9. <snippage of michelin tire/rim combos that don't work well>

    Original problem was with Matrix (trek) ISOC2's, now, as you mention,
    Mavics (op's).

    App

  10. It just seems that there is some sort of compatibility problem. I can't
    predict it by looking at anything but you sure know it when it happens.
    I once spent 20 minutes getting a tire off. It had been installed by a
    shop when I had the wheel re built. But they didn't tell me that my
    tires and that rim didn't work well together. But it wasn't the tire
    because it worked fin on the old rim. And it wasn' the rim because I
    was able to get a tire to work well on it. So... .

  11. gds said:

    I think the Carbons are fine tires and have no problem withyour choice.
    However, I think that being excited about no flats on new tires after
    150 miles might be a bit early. That is not a lot of mileage.


    This is moot point anyway since the tire liners and airlock tubes
    undoubtedly offer most of the new-found flat resistance.

    You won't get flats from glass or thorns with that setup. You'll only
    get pinch flats or flats from internal abrasion if you don't keep the
    pressure correct.

  12. Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:03:46 -0500, Hell and High Water
    <[email hidden]> skrev:

    Quoted message said:

    Just switched from Vittoria Rubino 700 x 25 to Michelin Carbon 700 x 23.

    I'm frankly amazed at the difference.

    1. No flats yet.

    In a newly published test in German "Tour Magazin" , the Michelin Carbon
    received top score in "puncture resistance" and "durability" and a good
    score in "rolling resistance" also.

    It is remarked however, that mounting of this tire is "difficult" and
    requires tools.

    Other tires in the test score equally high in punture resistance and even
    better in RR but then not as high in durability. (No tire has it all)
    None of the other 17 tires in the test are categorized "difficult" to
    install.

    Ivar

  13. I recently posted this elsewhere, about my experience with a 700x25
    Michelin Carbon tire:
    "I have been riding a Michelin Carbon on my rear rim for 1-1.5K now,
    with no problems. I don't like it particularly, however. I know this is
    anecdotal and not scientific, but: I initially had it on my front rim
    but felt that it seemed to make the steering heavy and clunky. I put an
    Avocet back on the front and the Mich in the rear, where I don't
    especially notice its apparent characteristics."

    And, again FWIW, I had no difficulty putting it on my Mavic Open pro
    rims. With all the good things other say about the Michelin Carbon, I
    might try it on the front rim again--but I'm still deliberating on
    that.... --Roy Zipris

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.