Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

My wheel building skills

Started by andresmuro · · Last activity · 21 posts · 701 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 March 2006
Last activity
12 March 2006
Original author
andresmuro
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
701
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have built a few wheels here and there. they stay trued and work ok
    for a while, however:

    I used to have a wheel with mavic reflex rims (single eyelet) for
    several years. Eventually, the wheel started cracking evenly around the
    nipple holes. I replaced the rim with a campy cone shaped rim that
    seems to be holding fine. I also replaced a rim on a different wheel
    years ago with a used box section rim (double eyelet) that looked good.
    When I was done the rim had cracked on the base of the side wall
    adjacent to the nipples evenly all around. I looked as if the side
    walls would eventually separate from the base of the rim. I also had
    another wheel with mavic cxp 21 rim that lasted a couple of years. Last
    week I noticed that one of the nipples was going through the hole which
    had cracked. I also took the rim out and replaced it with a new dt rim
    (single eyelet) that the local shop sold me. It was the only choice.

    these wheels in which the rims broke, I had stressed relieved and I had
    made sure that the spokes seem to have ok tension. I don't have a spoke
    tensiometer so I go by feel. However, with the wheel that I rebuilt
    last week with the dt rim, I am concerned that I may be putting too
    much tension and that the nipples will crack the rim again.
    Coincidentally, with the double eyelet rim I cracked the rim by the
    base and with the single or no eyelet rims I cracked them by the holes

    I guess that I should take the wheel to the bike shop and check the
    spoke tension. However, I am wondering if I am putting to much tension
    and I am cracking rims. I don't seem to be forcing the nipples
    tightening them so tight that they are about to explode. Is there a way
    I can sort of get a sense of what is too tight w/o a tensiometer? BTW,
    these wheels have been 32 spoked rear wheels.

    THX,

    Andres

  2. andresmuro said:

    I have built a few wheels here and there. they stay trued and work ok
    for a while, however:

    I used to have a wheel with mavic reflex rims (single eyelet) for
    several years. Eventually, the wheel started cracking evenly around the
    nipple holes. I replaced the rim with a campy cone shaped rim that
    seems to be holding fine. I also replaced a rim on a different wheel
    years ago with a used box section rim (double eyelet) that looked good.
    When I was done the rim had cracked on the base of the side wall
    adjacent to the nipples evenly all around. I looked as if the side
    walls would eventually separate from the base of the rim. I also had
    another wheel with mavic cxp 21 rim that lasted a couple of years. Last
    week I noticed that one of the nipples was going through the hole which
    had cracked. I also took the rim out and replaced it with a new dt rim
    (single eyelet) that the local shop sold me. It was the only choice.

    these wheels in which the rims broke, I had stressed relieved and I had
    made sure that the spokes seem to have ok tension. I don't have a spoke
    tensiometer so I go by feel. However, with the wheel that I rebuilt
    last week with the dt rim, I am concerned that I may be putting too
    much tension and that the nipples will crack the rim again.
    Coincidentally, with the double eyelet rim I cracked the rim by the
    base and with the single or no eyelet rims I cracked them by the holes

    I guess that I should take the wheel to the bike shop and check the
    spoke tension. However, I am wondering if I am putting to much tension
    and I am cracking rims. I don't seem to be forcing the nipples
    tightening them so tight that they are about to explode. Is there a way
    I can sort of get a sense of what is too tight w/o a tensiometer? BTW,
    these wheels have been 32 spoked rear wheels.

    First, Campag rims are pretty famous for failing like you saw. BUT the
    only way to see what the tension is is to get a tensionometer. Most
    rims, like DT, are happy with 100 kgf right side rear and front and if
    it's too high, you may pull an eyelet out. The Park one works fine. if
    you are going to build wheels, a truing stand, a dishing tool, a quiver
    of spoke wrenches and a tensionometer are required, IMO.

    Quoted message said:


    THX,

    Andres

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,
    "andresmuro" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I guess that I should take the wheel to the bike shop and check the
    spoke tension. However, I am wondering if I am putting to much tension
    and I am cracking rims. I don't seem to be forcing the nipples
    tightening them so tight that they are about to explode. Is there a way
    I can sort of get a sense of what is too tight w/o a tensiometer? BTW,
    these wheels have been 32 spoked rear wheels.

    The confound here is that if you are using anodized rims or
    single-eyelet or non-eyeletted (is that a word) rims , they are more
    prone to cracking. It may not be your wheel building skills but bad rim
    design and execution.

  4. Tim McNamara said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "andresmuro" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I guess that I should take the wheel to the bike shop and check the
    spoke tension. However, I am wondering if I am putting to much tension
    and I am cracking rims. I don't seem to be forcing the nipples
    tightening them so tight that they are about to explode. Is there a way
    I can sort of get a sense of what is too tight w/o a tensiometer? BTW,
    these wheels have been 32 spoked rear wheels.

    The confound here is that if you are using anodized rims or
    single-eyelet or non-eyeletted (is that a word) rims , they are more
    prone to cracking. It may not be your wheel building skills but bad rim
    design and execution.

    Thanks, Peter and Tim. I have spoke wrenches and a stand, and I have
    built and trued wheels here and there for many years. However, I don't
    intend to build them or repair them regularly except for when they
    break, which should not be that often. For this reason, I haven't
    gotten a tensiometer. I'll stop by the bike shop this weekend and see
    if my tension is ok. If it isn't, I'll back them up one turn.

    BTW, I ordered a new spare pair of 36 dt spoked wheels with cheap hubs
    and alex a22 rims from bikedirectbikes on ebay. they were 75 bucks for
    the set, and with plenty of spokes, so I am sure that they'll last a
    while. I am still planning to touch them up and stress releive them. Do
    you know if alex rims can handle the tension, or will they crack at the
    eyelet with too much tension?

    The same store has vuleta xrp wheelsets with 24 bladed spokes front and
    rear for 100 bucks. the rims are 30 mm deep. they are on the heavy
    side, but I was thinking of getting a pair for triathlons and also
    touch them up and stress releive them. Do you think that they'll be ok?
    Thanks,

    Andres

  5. andresmuro said:

    I have built a few wheels here and there. they stay trued and work ok
    for a while, however:

    I used to have a wheel with mavic reflex rims (single eyelet) for
    several years. Eventually, the wheel started cracking evenly around
    the nipple holes. I replaced the rim with a campy cone shaped rim that
    seems to be holding fine. I also replaced a rim on a different wheel
    years ago with a used box section rim (double eyelet) that looked
    good. When I was done the rim had cracked on the base of the side wall
    adjacent to the nipples evenly all around. I looked as if the side
    walls would eventually separate from the base of the rim. I also had
    another wheel with mavic cxp 21 rim that lasted a couple of years.
    Last week I noticed that one of the nipples was going through the
    hole which had cracked. I also took the rim out and replaced it with
    a new dt rim (single eyelet) that the local shop sold me. It was the
    only choice.

    these wheels in which the rims broke, I had stressed relieved and I
    had made sure that the spokes seem to have ok tension. I don't have a
    spoke tensiometer so I go by feel. However, with the wheel that I
    rebuilt last week with the dt rim, I am concerned that I may be
    putting too much tension and that the nipples will crack the rim
    again. Coincidentally, with the double eyelet rim I cracked the rim
    by the base and with the single or no eyelet rims I cracked them by
    the holes

    I guess that I should take the wheel to the bike shop and check the
    spoke tension. However, I am wondering if I am putting to much tension
    and I am cracking rims. I don't seem to be forcing the nipples
    tightening them so tight that they are about to explode. Is there a
    way I can sort of get a sense of what is too tight w/o a tensiometer?
    BTW, these wheels have been 32 spoked rear wheels.

    THX,

    Andres

    Are your spokes ever getting loose by themselves?
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  6. Tim McNamara said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "andresmuro" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I guess that I should take the wheel to the bike shop and check the
    spoke tension. However, I am wondering if I am putting to much tension
    and I am cracking rims. I don't seem to be forcing the nipples
    tightening them so tight that they are about to explode. Is there a way
    I can sort of get a sense of what is too tight w/o a tensiometer? BTW,
    these wheels have been 32 spoked rear wheels.

    The confound here is that if you are using anodized rims or
    single-eyelet or non-eyeletted (is that a word) rims , they are more
    prone to cracking.

    but tim, we have people on this group praising velocity rims to the
    skies for their crack resistance, and they're both non-eyeletted /and/
    anodized....

    Quoted message said:

    It may not be your wheel building skills but bad rim
    design and execution.

  7. Phil said:


    Are your spokes ever getting loose by themselves?
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    No.

    Andres

  8. jim beam said:


    but tim, we have people on this group praising velocity rims to the
    skies for their crack resistance, and they're both non-eyeletted /and/
    anodized....

    the velocity rims vary. some are anodized, some are powder coated. some
    have eyelets and some don't.

    i've had a non-eyeletted blue anodized aerohead fail...but it was a rim
    i had already dinged, so that's not a fair assesment. i've been very
    happy with the powder coated deep-V, i've never had one of those fail.

    i've had numerous mavic (reflex, open pro) failures.

  9. andresmuro said:

    The same store has vuleta xrp wheelsets with 24 bladed spokes front and
    rear for 100 bucks. the rims are 30 mm deep. they are on the heavy
    side, but I was thinking of getting a pair for triathlons and also
    touch them up and stress releive them. Do you think that they'll be ok?

    Good luck touching them up and stress relieving. Consider that the
    spokes are bladed, fun to grip. Consider also that 24 is very few and
    you will need a lot of tension and there will be a lot of windup and
    they will not be easy to work with.

    Are you competitive enough in triathlons that getting more aero wheels
    will bring you bigger prize money? If not, stick at most with aero rims
    but keep the spoke count reasonable and conventional, if you intend to
    muck around with them yourself.

  10. Tim McNamara said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "andresmuro" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I guess that I should take the wheel to the bike shop and check the
    spoke tension. However, I am wondering if I am putting to much tension
    and I am cracking rims. I don't seem to be forcing the nipples
    tightening them so tight that they are about to explode. Is there a way
    I can sort of get a sense of what is too tight w/o a tensiometer? BTW,
    these wheels have been 32 spoked rear wheels.

    The confound here is that if you are using anodized rims or
    single-eyelet or non-eyeletted (is that a word) rims , they are more
    prone to cracking. It may not be your wheel building skills but bad rim
    design and execution.

    Don't really agree. If a no eyelet or single eyelet rim is built
    properly, that is, not more than 100 kgf where it is needed, then the
    rim/wheel will be fine. I don't think double eyelet rims are a panacea
    for cracking, nor do single, no eyelet mean cracking. I have seen far
    more OpenPros and Mavic double eyelet MTB rims crack/pull eyelets out
    than Velocity Aerohead/Fusion/Deep Vs.

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    i've had numerous mavic (reflex, open pro) failures.

    What form did these failures take? An Open Pro rider would like to
    know. ;-)

    Luke

  12. Luke said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    i've had numerous mavic (reflex, open pro) failures.

    What form did these failures take? An Open Pro rider would like to
    know. ;-)

    if you followthe discussions here it's been documented quite often. the
    rim cracks around the spoke holes and the spokes pull through. some
    attribute this to the anodization.

    the problem is the overall rim design, since as jim beam and others
    have noted some anodized non-eyeletted rims are quite reliable.

  13. Quoted message said:
    Luke said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    i've had numerous mavic (reflex, open pro) failures.

    What form did these failures take? An Open Pro rider would like to
    know. ;-)

    if you followthe discussions here it's been documented quite often. the
    rim cracks around the spoke holes and the spokes pull through. some
    attribute this to the anodization.

    the problem is the overall rim design, since as jim beam and others
    have noted some anodized non-eyeletted rims are quite reliable.


    actually, rim cracking is usually caused by excess spoke tension. if
    you build with "tension as high as the rim can bear" you're in trouble.
    if you build to manufacturer spec, you're safe. a $60 tensiometer is
    all it takes. or if you're musical, trawl sheldon's site on how to do
    it by pitch.

  14. jim beam said:

    actually, rim cracking is usually caused by excess spoke tension. if
    you build with "tension as high as the rim can bear" you're in trouble.
    if you build to manufacturer spec, you're safe.

    if you're talking about mavic, the open pro and reflex rims fail even
    when built to low tensions. i've also seen a few ksyrium rim cracks as
    well. those rims aren't even drilled through, the nipple is screwed
    into the rim, yet those fail as well. they are simply not designed
    well.

  15. Quoted message said:
    jim beam said:

    actually, rim cracking is usually caused by excess spoke tension. if
    you build with "tension as high as the rim can bear" you're in trouble.
    if you build to manufacturer spec, you're safe.

    if you're talking about mavic, the open pro and reflex rims fail even
    when built to low tensions. i've also seen a few ksyrium rim cracks as
    well. those rims aren't even drilled through, the nipple is screwed
    into the rim, yet those fail as well. they are simply not designed
    well.


    did you build with a tensiometer? what is your spoke tension?

  16. jim beam said:
    Quoted message said:
    jim beam said:

    actually, rim cracking is usually caused by excess spoke tension. if
    you build with "tension as high as the rim can bear" you're in trouble.
    if you build to manufacturer spec, you're safe.

    if you're talking about mavic, the open pro and reflex rims fail even
    when built to low tensions. i've also seen a few ksyrium rim cracks as
    well. those rims aren't even drilled through, the nipple is screwed
    into the rim, yet those fail as well. they are simply not designed
    well.


    did you build with a tensiometer? what is your spoke tension?

    on the ones i built -- who knows, but if the "proper tension" means the
    spokes loosen while riding -- that's not a good design. the ksyriums
    were built by mavic.

  17. Quoted message said:
    jim beam said:
    Quoted message said:

    jim beam wrote:

    >actually, rim cracking is usually caused by excess spoke tension. if
    >you build with "tension as high as the rim can bear" you're in trouble.
    >if you build to manufacturer spec, you're safe.

    if you're talking about mavic, the open pro and reflex rims fail even
    when built to low tensions. i've also seen a few ksyrium rim cracks as
    well. those rims aren't even drilled through, the nipple is screwed
    into the rim, yet those fail as well. they are simply not designed
    well.

    did you build with a tensiometer? what is your spoke tension?

    on the ones i built -- who knows,

    in other words, you built with excess tension. why should a
    manufacturer have to design for people that can't follow instructions?
    that's like arguing that car manufacturers should be at fault when
    incompetents put oil in the coolant hole and coolant in the oil hole.

    Quoted message said:

    but if the "proper tension" means the
    spokes loosen while riding -- that's not a good design.

    see above.

    Quoted message said:

    the ksyriums
    were built by mavic.


    yes, and the lower order of bike shop monkeys, having read "the book"
    feel they need to "help" pre-built wheels by increasing tension to "as
    high as the rim can bear". that ain't no manufacturer spec.

  18. jim beam said:

    actually, rim cracking is usually caused by excess spoke tension.

    Actually, it seems to track at least as much with the use of heavy
    straight gauge spokes as anything else...the willow, not the oak...

    Quoted message said:

    if you build with "tension as high as the rim can bear"
    you're in trouble.

    Actually, if you're in trouble, it indicates the tensionis _higher_ than
    the rim can bear, at least with that particular spoke gauge.

    Quoted message said:

    if you build to manufacturer spec, you're safe.

    Sorry, what planet did you say you were from? ;-)

    I have never seen a "manufacturer spec" for spoke tension supplied by
    _any_ rim manufacturer...but then again, I've only been building wheels
    for 45 years.

    Sheldon "That Would Make It Too Easy" Brown
    +------------------------------------------+
    | Athletic scholarships are a corrupting |
    | cancer on the U.S. educational system. |
    +------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  19. Sheldon Brown said:
    jim beam said:

    actually, rim cracking is usually caused by excess spoke tension.

    Actually, it seems to track at least as much with the use of heavy
    straight gauge spokes as anything else...the willow, not the oak...

    Quoted message said:

    if you build with "tension as high as the rim can bear"

    Quoted message said:

    you're in trouble.

    Actually, if you're in trouble, it indicates the tensionis _higher_ than
    the rim can bear, at least with that particular spoke gauge.

    Quoted message said:

    if you build to manufacturer spec, you're safe.

    Sorry, what planet did you say you were from? ;-)

    I have never seen a "manufacturer spec" for spoke tension supplied by
    _any_ rim manufacturer...but then again, I've only been building wheels
    for 45 years.

    then, with respect sheldon, you've never called 1-888-go-mavic and
    asked. i've found them to be very helpful for specs on every rim in
    their range, including older rims and pre-builts. sun answer similar
    inquiries. peter chisholm mysteriously managed to ascertain velocity's
    tension specs - i know not how. presumably he used similar secret means
    to park when they compiled the following:

    http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=128

    Quoted message said:


    Sheldon "That Would Make It Too Easy" Brown

    when you're done, why don't you tabulate the results and ask damon to
    add them to spoke calc?

    Quoted message said:

    +------------------------------------------+
    | Athletic scholarships are a corrupting |
    | cancer on the U.S. educational system. |
    +------------------------------------------+

    no, grade inflation is a far bigger problem.

    Quoted message said:

    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  20. jim beam said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have never seen a "manufacturer spec" for spoke tension supplied by
    _any_ rim manufacturer...but then again, I've only been building wheels
    for 45 years.

    then, with respect sheldon, you've never called 1-888-go-mavic and
    asked. i've found them to be very helpful for specs on every rim in
    their range, including older rims and pre-builts. sun answer similar
    inquiries. peter chisholm mysteriously managed to ascertain velocity's
    tension specs - i know not how. presumably he used similar secret means
    to park when they compiled the following:

    http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=128

    The Park tool page only lists pre-built wheels. It doesn't list
    recommended tensions for any rims.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.