Name this bottle cage

Shrike

Sep 29, 2015
Feel bad making a thread just for this, but I'm done searching for it. Really want these bottle cages but I can't spot them anywhere. Long shot but maybe a more seasoned cyclist will know!

(Don't suppose anyone can tell what the bars are by looking at them either?)

Bianchi-Infinito-CV.jpg

It's a Tacx Tao Carbon
TAO2.jpg

As for the bars, they're traditional/classic bend bars. Can be from any of several manufacturers.
TB-bars.jpg

Those look like Deda (Bianchi is Italian). I'm partial to Ritchey.

Reactions: Shrike
Don't suppose anyone kn
Tacx Tao: http://www.tacx.com/en/products/bottles-bottlecages/tao

Bar & Stem are FSA K-Force and OS-99.
It's a Tacx Tao Carbon
TAO2.jpg

As for the bars, they're traditional/classic bend bars. Can be from any of several manufacturers.
TB-bars.jpg

Those look like Deda (Bianchi is Italian). I'm partial to Ritchey.

I love you guys. Thanks a mil! Wish I'd just came here in the first place, would have saved me hours today!

Is there a reason why some pros or any experienced rider would choose traditional bars like that instead of something more modern or is it an aesthetic thing?

Is there a reason why some pros or any experienced rider would choose traditional bars like that instead of something more modern or is it an aesthetic thing?
They like them? I'm sure it has more to do with function than aesthetics. For one thing, from the reach to the levers from the drops is closer. For another, there are more useful hand positions above the hoods. And for another, the drop from the top of the bar to the hoods allows a lower upper body position without dropping the whole handlebar. And, in my opinion, traditional bends are better in every regard than the "ergo" bends that became popular in the '90s.

I use a Cinelli 66 on my vintage ride, and I do think the old style bend works better with old style brake levers. With modern Shimano or SRAM levers, though, I prefer the newer flat-top bends.

Reactions: Shrike
They like them? I'm sure it has more to do with function than aesthetics. For one thing, from the reach to the levers from the drops is closer. For another, there are more useful hand positions above the hoods. And for another, the drop from the top of the bar to the hoods allows a lower upper body position without dropping the whole handlebar. And, in my opinion, traditional bends are better in every regard than the "ergo" bends that became popular in the '90s.

I use a Cinelli 66 on my vintage ride, and I do think the old style bend works better with old style brake levers. With modern Shimano or SRAM levers, though, I prefer the newer flat-top bends.

Read this last week but couldn't say thanks, had an endless browser loop.

Appreciate the insight!

Don't suppose anyone kn

I love you guys. Thanks a mil! Wish I'd just came here in the first place, would have saved me hours today!

Those Tacx cages are not that good nor all that light. The Tao will break it's just a matter of time and usually in short time, won't hold full bottles over rough roads, but they are cheap at around $15. You could get a Specialized Rib Cage 2 that cost $20 and weighs a little less at 32 grams, will hold even heavy Polar Bottles on rough roads, come in an assortment of colors at most LBS that stock Specialized gear. But if you like the look of the Tacx then get them, and get them, and get them...

The Tao cage is available in Aluminum with rubber over-molding for grip and bottle finish protection, a Tao Light glass reinforced Nylon that is damned near bomb proof and a carbon fiber version. The bottle stop on the carbon version has been beefed up in recent years. It also features some rubber over molding for improved grip on the bottle.

The aluminum model is 39 grams, the polymer model is 32 grams and the carbon model is 29 grams.

No clue if the carbon version breaks at the bottle stop tab, but many early carbon cages that were clone designs of the 'un-cool', but sturdy polymer designs and also broke at the stop tab...or through some of super thin straps.

I prefer the solid grip and durability of the Elite Pro Race cage, but the Tao Carbon is a very good looking cage.