General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Nancree's Homemade Mayo

Started by Melba's Jammin' · · Last activity · 8 posts · 250 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
29 January 2005
Last activity
30 January 2005
Original author
Melba's Jammin'
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
250
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Nan, ol' Nan -- you said you've posted the recipe before. I had a
    version you posted four years ago and used that one. The one with three
    times as much lime juice, 33% more salt, and more dry mustard. I've
    posted pictures on my website. FWIW.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Homemade mayonnaise pics added 1-29-05.
    "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
    say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
    performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

  2. "Melba's Jammin'" wrote >

    Nan, ol' Nan -- you said you've posted the recipe before. I had a

    Quoted message said:

    version you posted four years ago and used that one. The one with three
    times as much lime juice, 33% more salt, and more dry mustard. I've
    posted pictures on my website. FWIW.
    --
    -Barb

    Oh, boy - now which one do I use? Here's Nancree's recipe from October
    2004:

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    MAYONNAISE

    Recipe By :Nancree, alt.cooking-chat, 10/28/04

    1 egg -- room temperature
    1 1/2 tsp. Fresh lime juice
    1/2 tsp. dry mustard powder
    3/4 tsp. salt
    3/4 cup canola oil.

    Use a jar that is wide enough for the hand blender
    to fit through. Place ingredients in order listed.
    Use fresh lime or lemon juice.
    Put stick blender down to the bottom of the
    jar WITHOUT turning it on.) Then start it and, rocking side to side, slowly
    pull it up to the top. Voila! Fresh mayo with the most wonderful taste, in
    about 6 or 7seconds.
    (full disclosure) There are always many sites about using fresh, uncooked
    eggs. I do. You do what you think is best.

    NOTES : Use canola oil rather than olive oil.

  3. "limey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Melba's Jammin'" wrote >

    Nan, ol' Nan -- you said you've posted the recipe before. I had a

    Quoted message said:

    version you posted four years ago and used that one. The one with three
    times as much lime juice, 33% more salt, and more dry mustard. I've
    posted pictures on my website. FWIW.
    --
    -Barb

    Oh, boy - now which one do I use? Here's Nancree's recipe from October
    2004:

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    MAYONNAISE

    Recipe By :Nancree, alt.cooking-chat, 10/28/04

    1 egg -- room temperature
    1 1/2 tsp. Fresh lime juice
    1/2 tsp. dry mustard powder
    3/4 tsp. salt
    3/4 cup canola oil.

    Use a jar that is wide enough for the hand blender
    to fit through. Place ingredients in order listed.
    Use fresh lime or lemon juice.
    Put stick blender down to the bottom of the
    jar WITHOUT turning it on.) Then start it and, rocking side to side,


    slowly

    Quoted message said:

    pull it up to the top. Voila! Fresh mayo with the most wonderful taste, in
    about 6 or 7seconds.
    (full disclosure) There are always many sites about using fresh, uncooked
    eggs. I do. You do what you think is best.

    NOTES : Use canola oil rather than olive oil.

    I usually make my own mayonnaise with the blender and often add fresh
    tarragon or basil for a different flavour. Always add an egg - so far, so
    good! I find that using light olive oil works well and is not as heavy as
    straight olive oil. I've never used lime though, will try it next time.
    Thanks.

    Elaine (chasing the damn cat who got onto my window sill and into my steak
    which was thawing)

  4. In article <[email hidden]>, "limey"

    Quoted message said:

    "Melba's Jammin'" wrote >

    Nan, ol' Nan -- you said you've posted the recipe before. I had a

    Quoted message said:

    version you posted four years ago and used that one. The one with
    three
    times as much lime juice, 33% more salt, and more dry mustard. I've
    posted pictures on my website. FWIW.
    --
    -Barb

    Oh, boy - now which one do I use? Here's Nancree's recipe from October
    2004:

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    MAYONNAISE

    Recipe By :Nancree, alt.cooking-chat, 10/28/04

    1 egg -- room temperature
    1 1/2 tsp. Fresh lime juice
    1/2 tsp. dry mustard powder
    3/4 tsp. salt
    3/4 cup canola oil.

    Use a jar that is wide enough for the hand blender to fit through.
    Place ingredients in order listed. Use fresh lime or lemon juice. Put
    stick blender down to the bottom of the jar WITHOUT turning it on.)
    Then start it and, rocking side to side, slowly pull it up to the
    top. Voila! Fresh mayo with the most wonderful taste, in about 6 or
    7seconds. (full disclosure) There are always many sites about using
    fresh, uncooked eggs. I do. You do what you think is best.
    NOTES : Use canola oil rather than olive oil.

    Don't use the one from 2001 that uses 1-1/2 tbsp of lime juice or 1 tsp
    salt. :-) Mine's too salty -- I also used Kosher salt and used a
    little more than a tsp. I used a cup of oil -- 1/2 canold and 1/2 light
    olive oil.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Homemade mayonnaise pics added 1-29-05.
    "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
    say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
    performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

  5. It works!!!!

    I've tried to make mayo at least a dozen times with no success. Made
    Nancree's recipe, just now, and it is perfect. I don't know why this
    one worked where others didn't but I now feel like an expert.
    We'll be having a lot of mayo in the days to come. ;-)
    Thanks so much for sharing your recipe, Nancree and for the additional
    boost your pictures gave me, Barb.

    jillie
    Roseville, CA

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    It works!!!!

    I've tried to make mayo at least a dozen times with no success. Made
    Nancree's recipe, just now, and it is perfect.
    Thanks so much for sharing your recipe, Nancree and for the additional
    boost your pictures gave me, Barb.

    jillie
    Roseville, CA

    My pleasure. I'm writing my own picture cookbook.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Homemade mayonnaise pics added 1-29-05.
    "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
    say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
    performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

  7. "elaine" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "limey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Melba's Jammin'" wrote >

    Nan, ol' Nan -- you said you've posted the recipe before. I had a

    Quoted message said:

    version you posted four years ago and used that one. The one with
    three
    times as much lime juice, 33% more salt, and more dry mustard. I've
    posted pictures on my website. FWIW.
    --
    -Barb

    Oh, boy - now which one do I use? Here's Nancree's recipe from October
    2004:

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    MAYONNAISE

    Recipe By :Nancree, alt.cooking-chat, 10/28/04

    1 egg -- room temperature
    1 1/2 tsp. Fresh lime juice
    1/2 tsp. dry mustard powder
    3/4 tsp. salt
    3/4 cup canola oil.

    Use a jar that is wide enough for the hand blender
    to fit through. Place ingredients in order listed.
    Use fresh lime or lemon juice.
    Put stick blender down to the bottom of the
    jar WITHOUT turning it on.) Then start it and, rocking side to side,


    slowly

    Quoted message said:

    pull it up to the top. Voila! Fresh mayo with the most wonderful taste,
    in
    about 6 or 7seconds.
    (full disclosure) There are always many sites about using fresh, uncooked
    eggs. I do. You do what you think is best.

    NOTES : Use canola oil rather than olive oil.

    I usually make my own mayonnaise with the blender and often add fresh
    tarragon or basil for a different flavour. Always add an egg - so far, so
    good! I find that using light olive oil works well and is not as heavy as
    straight olive oil. I've never used lime though, will try it next time.
    Thanks.

    Elaine (chasing the damn cat who got onto my window sill and into my steak
    which was thawing)

    Ha...You must have a 'Siamese Seal Point' then ?...:-)) Can never forget to
    keep a 'watchful' eye on them..Once caught going off with a 1/2 pound of
    butter around the corner ..LOL...Woollen Jumpers ,Blankets as well..They
    love to eat anything it seems....Better get the sausages out now !

    --
    Bigbazza(Barry)..Oz

  8. "Bigbazza" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    snip

    Quoted message said:

    Ha...You must have a 'Siamese Seal Point' then ?...:-)) Can never forget
    to keep a 'watchful' eye on them..Once caught going off with a 1/2 pound
    of butter around the corner ..LOL...Woollen Jumpers ,Blankets as
    well..They love to eat anything it seems....Better get the sausages out
    now !

    --
    Bigbazza(Barry)..Oz


    I've never figured out how a cat can eat a whole pound of Cheddar(plus
    plastic wrapper) and not die, let alone be able to move. {:o\ ???
    Janet

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.