General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Natural vs. Synthetic Vitamins

Started by Kathryn Friesen · · Last activity · 41 posts · 1,325 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
22 November 2003
Last activity
30 November 2003
Original author
Kathryn Friesen
Posts
41
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,325
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 41
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What's the 'diff" between the two? I have this mental image of little
    bits of apple & broccoli & whatever pressed into this tiny little
    "natural" pill. I don't take vitamin pills so excuse my ignorance.

    Also what's the true story on "absorption" of liquid v. pill. I see
    most online (& probably elsewhere) liquid vitamin vendors claim only 10%
    of that in pill form is ever absorbed. Is this an Urban Legend?

  2. http://www.liquid-vitamins.info/natural-vitamins-vs-synthetic.htm
    "Kathryn Friesen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    What's the 'diff" between the two? I have this mental image of little
    bits of apple & broccoli & whatever pressed into this tiny little
    "natural" pill. I don't take vitamin pills so excuse my ignorance.

    Also what's the true story on "absorption" of liquid v. pill. I see
    most online (& probably elsewhere) liquid vitamin vendors claim only 10%
    of that in pill form is ever absorbed. Is this an Urban Legend?

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Kathryn Friesen said:


    What's the 'diff" between the two? I have this mental image of little
    bits of apple & broccoli & whatever pressed into this tiny little
    "natural" pill. I don't take vitamin pills so excuse my ignorance.

    In today's advertising climate, it's not surprising that confusion
    reigns. You have so many scammers trying to convince you of so many
    different things.

    In general, the difference is that "natural" costs more. There are a
    few other differences -- for example, in vitamin E, there can be
    differences in which forms of the molecule are present (d- vs l-) and
    which molecules are present (alpha tocopherol vs gamma, for example).

    But, for the most part, it doesn't make any difference. Ascorbic acid
    is vitamin C no matter where you get it from. (You will find some
    nuts who assure us that ascorbic acid isn't really vitamin C. They
    have no good answer about why it cures scurvy and they may safely be
    ignored.)

    Quoted message said:

    Also what's the true story on "absorption" of liquid v. pill. I see
    most online (& probably elsewhere) liquid vitamin vendors claim only 10%
    of that in pill form is ever absorbed. Is this an Urban Legend?

    Probably. And even if it's not, it really doesn't matter. If the
    pills are less-absorbed (on a percentage basis), you can get around
    that by taking more of them! Since the liquid vitamins seem to be
    pretty expensive, you can still afford this.

    Not that I believe liquid vitamins are anything special. Your body is
    very good at obtaining and holding onto the vitamins it needs. The
    stories about sewer workers finding "thousand" or "tons' of undigested
    vitamin pills are, as best I can tell, nonsense.

    If this worries you, however, you can probably set your mind at ease
    by simply taking your preferred vitamin pills and just dropping them
    in a glass of water and letting them sit for a few hours. I think
    you'll find they dissolve just fine -- and your digestive tract is a
    far more active place than is a still glass of water.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
    These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
    "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
    were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

  4. Kathryn,

    One bit of logic no one else has mentioned so far:
    Vitamins in natural food do not exist alone, but in
    combination with other substances, some of which may be
    necessary to make the vitamin effective or to prevent
    undesirable effects. With natural vitamins, sometimes
    you can find combinations (such as bioflavonoids with
    Vitamin C), that you are unlikely to find with
    synthetic ones. There may also be substances joined
    with the natural vitamins that science has not yet
    discovered and therefore are not included in the
    synthesis.

    Marvin

    Marvin L. Zinn
    Reply to: [email hidden]
    Using Virtual Access
    Windows 2000 build 2600

  5. hi Kathryn,
    It's true, the fact is:

    Pills 5% absorption rate
    Capsules 10% absorption rate
    Liquid/Powder 15-25% absorption rate

    So, as you can see, we should consume natural health suplements in
    liquid or powder form, as it has a better absorption rate.

    On the other hand, sorry to say that our human body cant absorb 100%
    of what we take, the max is only up to 25%.

    So, since we realize that human body can only take up 25% max, why
    dont we take in powder or liquid form of natural health supplements?
    To guarantee and maximize the absorption rate, as well as saving our
    money, instead of 'donating' to the toilet bowl.

    Best regards,
    Eddie Lee

    [email hidden] (Kathryn Friesen) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    What's the 'diff" between the two? I have this mental image of little
    bits of apple & broccoli & whatever pressed into this tiny little
    "natural" pill. I don't take vitamin pills so excuse my ignorance.

    Also what's the true story on "absorption" of liquid v. pill. I see
    most online (& probably elsewhere) liquid vitamin vendors claim only 10%
    of that in pill form is ever absorbed. Is this an Urban Legend?

  6. "Kathryn Friesen" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    What's the 'diff" between the two? I have this mental image of little
    bits of apple & broccoli & whatever pressed into this tiny little
    "natural" pill. I don't take vitamin pills so excuse my ignorance.

    The big difference between 'natural' vitamins and synthetics are the way
    they're made. They're the same product, but manufactured differently. That's
    it.

    Quoted message said:


    Also what's the true story on "absorption" of liquid v. pill. I see
    most online (& probably elsewhere) liquid vitamin vendors claim only 10%
    of that in pill form is ever absorbed. Is this an Urban Legend?

    Urban legend. All you can say is that liquid formulations may be absorpted
    faster than a pill, because the pill must be dissolved before it can be
    effectively absorpted. However, it probably doesn't make much difference
    anyway. Just make sure you eat your fruits, veggies and a little meat or a
    good meatreplacement and you'll get all the vitamins you really need. If you
    feel like complementing, make sure you don't take the extra high dose
    versions, since you may overdose on the vitamins. The effect of overdosage
    is either probably minnor, in the case of watersoluble vitamins like C and
    B, or it may be a ral problem as in the case of vitamins K,A,D and E. The
    problem with the latter vitamins is that they are fat-soluble so you can't
    get rid of them as easily as the water soluble ones.

    HTH

    --

    Robert Bronsing

    But that's okay, see the children bleed
    It'll look great on the TV

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Eddie said:

    hi Kathryn,
    It's true, the fact is:

    Pills 5% absorption rate
    Capsules 10% absorption rate
    Liquid/Powder 15-25% absorption rate

    So, as you can see, we should consume natural health suplements in
    liquid or powder form, as it has a better absorption rate.

    We do if we believe your numbers. Where did you get them? I just
    went through Medline looking for numbers like this and found almost
    nothing. And what I did find was not consistent.

    Quoted message said:

    On the other hand, sorry to say that our human body cant absorb 100%
    of what we take, the max is only up to 25%.

    So, since we realize that human body can only take up 25% max, why
    dont we take in powder or liquid form of natural health supplements?
    To guarantee and maximize the absorption rate, as well as saving our
    money, instead of 'donating' to the toilet bowl.

    That's only true if the liquids or powders are no more expensive than
    the tablets or capsules. I suspect the liquids are more expensive.
    Powders might not be, but would presumably be less convenient, since
    you would have to mix them with something.

    Anyway, if the tablets or capsules cost a fraction as much as the
    liquids, then you just take somewhat more of them, thus overcoming the
    absorption differences (if any).

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
    These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
    "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
    were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

  8. Doesn't seem to be much consensus on vitamin absorption rates, does
    there?

    The reason I particularly asked this question was in reading through at
    least a dozen LIQUID vitamin vendor's websites a few months ago, they
    also claimed 90% (ninety) of their liquid vitamins was absorbed vs. 10%
    of "the others". (I thought it neat how this added up to exactly 100%
    absorption, but perhaps this was a psychological ploy?)

    At any rate, the sites kept referring to the 1996 or 97 (I forget)
    Physicians Desk Reference, even the page (or article number). Since its
    unlikely "normal" people can check this out, I thought the claim "safe".
    Isn't the PDR "unedited" anyway??

  9. I'd take the natural form where possible - the way nature intended.
    With supplements you tend to get one purified type of vitamin, with nature
    you get many forms of the same vitamin as different salts.
    If you cannot supplement yourself with natural vitamins, then the next best
    thing is natural and supplements.
    IMO vitamin sites are scamming [censored] at best.
    Anth

    "Kathryn Friesen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Doesn't seem to be much consensus on vitamin absorption rates, does
    there?

    The reason I particularly asked this question was in reading through at
    least a dozen LIQUID vitamin vendor's websites a few months ago, they
    also claimed 90% (ninety) of their liquid vitamins was absorbed vs. 10%
    of "the others". (I thought it neat how this added up to exactly 100%
    absorption, but perhaps this was a psychological ploy?)

    At any rate, the sites kept referring to the 1996 or 97 (I forget)
    Physicians Desk Reference, even the page (or article number). Since its
    unlikely "normal" people can check this out, I thought the claim "safe".
    Isn't the PDR "unedited" anyway??

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Anth said:

    I'd take the natural form where possible - the way nature intended.

    "Nature" is not some sort of conscious being. "What nature intended"
    is nearly meaningless. Or are you going to argue that you're sitting
    there, typing on a computer "as nature intended?"

    Quoted message said:

    With supplements you tend to get one purified type of vitamin, with nature
    you get many forms of the same vitamin as different salts.

    There's no way to know that. I agree that it's probably better to get
    one's nutrients from food rather than from supplements, because the
    food contains such a myriad of other substances, some of which may be
    important and we just don't know it yet. But in some cases, to get a
    particular dosage of vitamins from food may be impractical.

    Quoted message said:

    If you cannot supplement yourself with natural vitamins, then the next best
    thing is natural and supplements.
    IMO vitamin sites are scamming [censored] at best.

    Well, at least we agree on something.

    Quoted message said:

    "Kathryn Friesen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Doesn't seem to be much consensus on vitamin absorption rates, does
    there?

    Nope. And if you go to PubMed to try to find out what absorption
    rates really are, good luck to you.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The reason I particularly asked this question was in reading through at
    least a dozen LIQUID vitamin vendor's websites a few months ago, they
    also claimed 90% (ninety) of their liquid vitamins was absorbed vs. 10%
    of "the others". (I thought it neat how this added up to exactly 100%
    absorption, but perhaps this was a psychological ploy?)

    Most likely. You'll have to admit that a site trying to sell you
    liquid vitamins is not likely to be objective about them.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    At any rate, the sites kept referring to the 1996 or 97 (I forget)
    Physicians Desk Reference, even the page (or article number). Since its
    unlikely "normal" people can check this out, I thought the claim "safe".
    Isn't the PDR "unedited" anyway??

    It's mostly a collection of the kinds of information you find on the
    package inserts of prescription drugs. Basically, a "cover your ass"
    sort of document, listing anything that might have gone wrong during
    testing of the product, whether related or not.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
    These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
    "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
    were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

  11. Quoted message said:

    Subject: Re: Natural vs. Synthetic Vitamins
    From: [email hidden] (David Wright)
    Date: 11/23/2003 3:04 PM Pacific Standard Time
    Message-id: <[email hidden]>

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Anth said:

    I'd take the natural form where possible - the way nature intended.

    "Nature" is not some sort of conscious being.

    1 a : the inherent character or basic constitution of a person or thing :
    ESSENCE b : DISPOSITION, TEMPERAMENT
    2 a : a creative and controlling force in the universe b : an inner force or
    the sum of such forces in an individual
    3 : a kind or class usually distinguished by fundamental or essential
    characteristics <documents of a confidential nature> <acts of a ceremonial
    nature>
    4 : the physical constitution or drives of an organism; especially : an
    excretory organ or function; used in phrases like the call of nature
    5 : a spontaneous attitude (as of generosity)
    6 : the external world in its entirety
    7 a : humankind's original or natural condition b : a simplified mode of life
    resembling this condition
    8 : the genetically controlled qualities of an organism
    9 : natural scenery

    Quoted message said:

    "What nature intended"
    is nearly meaningless.

    Which proves David just wants to argue.

    What a waste of time.

    Jan

  12. "Kathryn Friesen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    What's the 'diff" between the two? I have this mental image of little
    bits of apple & broccoli & whatever pressed into this tiny little
    "natural" pill. I don't take vitamin pills so excuse my ignorance.

    Also what's the true story on "absorption" of liquid v. pill. I see
    most online (& probably elsewhere) liquid vitamin vendors claim only 10%
    of that in pill form is ever absorbed. Is this an Urban Legend?

    Hello, I am new to this news group. I saw this posting and thought I would
    put in my two cents worth.
    Many people go into a store to buy vitamins and are confused about which to
    buy. One bottle may be half the price of the other with supposedly the same
    amount of vitamins or minerals. So, how do you make a choice? Supplements
    are similar to food---the simple, organic and unrefined have many more
    nutrients per gram than processed ones have and a lot less of what you don't
    want (those words that are multi-syllable and non-pronounceable). You most
    often get what you pay for.

    "Natural" food supplement manufacturers do not have to disclose all the
    ingredients on the label, but, should be able to supply you with a
    disclosure of ingredients. Unfortunately these days it's cost that counts,
    so, many manufacturers pack their supplements with binders, fillers,
    lubricants, disintegrators, colourings and flavouring agents--a tablet.
    Typically, the cheaper the supplement, the more "stuffing" of things you
    don't want---the larger the tablet and the poorer the absorption (about
    20%). Smaller tablets may use cellulose as a binder. "Time release" means
    adding hydrogenated oils(plastic oil) to lengthen release. So, look at your
    supplement--is it solid--binders, fillers, lubricants, is it a colour--dyes,
    is it time-release-- hydrogenated oils, does it dissolve
    quickly--disintegrators, and does it taste like cherry for
    instance--flavouring. Other fillers in supplements can be sodium benzoate,
    lactose, peanut, coconut and cottonseed oil and cornstarch. Other
    ingredients may include propylene glycol (anti-freeze), SLS (sodium lauryl
    sulfate - which reacts with the supplement to form toxins) and BHT, BHA,
    tartrazine (colourings).

    So, what should I buy then?? Pure substances such as vitamins, minerals,
    herbs, enzymes or amino acids should be purchased as capsules or liquids.
    They generally do not contain any of the above problems, dissolve easily,
    absorb about 80% and are usually more concentrated. The gelatin in capsules
    are generally animal derived, so, you can buy vegetable derived capsules if
    desired. Liquids are better absorbed, but generally designed for children,
    so less concentrated.

    Therefore, even though capsules are usually twice the price of tablets, they
    end up being less than half the price if you consider a 400 mg. Vitamin C
    gives only about 100 mg. and figuring in the cost on your health with all
    the fillers, binders, etc. So, the bottom line is ...buy a capsule.

    Jenny - not an expert

  13. Jenny,

    Quoted message said:


    Jenny - not an expert


    But you make more sense than many people who claim
    that they are!

    marvin

    Marvin L. Zinn
    Reply to: [email hidden]
    Using Virtual Access
    Windows 2000 build 2600

  14. What nature intended is 'meaningless' come on - go eat your donuts then,
    take all vitamin c out of your diet.
    Don't eat foliates. Now that is meaningless.
    Anth

    "David Wright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Anth said:

    I'd take the natural form where possible - the way nature intended.

    "Nature" is not some sort of conscious being. "What nature intended"
    is nearly meaningless. Or are you going to argue that you're sitting
    there, typing on a computer "as nature intended?"

    Quoted message said:

    With supplements you tend to get one purified type of vitamin, with


    nature

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    you get many forms of the same vitamin as different salts.

    There's no way to know that. I agree that it's probably better to get
    one's nutrients from food rather than from supplements, because the
    food contains such a myriad of other substances, some of which may be
    important and we just don't know it yet. But in some cases, to get a
    particular dosage of vitamins from food may be impractical.

    Quoted message said:

    If you cannot supplement yourself with natural vitamins, then the next


    best

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    thing is natural and supplements.
    IMO vitamin sites are scamming [censored] at best.

    Well, at least we agree on something.

    Quoted message said:

    "Kathryn Friesen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Doesn't seem to be much consensus on vitamin absorption rates, does
    there?

    Nope. And if you go to PubMed to try to find out what absorption
    rates really are, good luck to you.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The reason I particularly asked this question was in reading through at
    least a dozen LIQUID vitamin vendor's websites a few months ago, they
    also claimed 90% (ninety) of their liquid vitamins was absorbed vs. 10%
    of "the others". (I thought it neat how this added up to exactly 100%
    absorption, but perhaps this was a psychological ploy?)

    Most likely. You'll have to admit that a site trying to sell you
    liquid vitamins is not likely to be objective about them.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    At any rate, the sites kept referring to the 1996 or 97 (I forget)
    Physicians Desk Reference, even the page (or article number). Since


    its

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    unlikely "normal" people can check this out, I thought the claim


    "safe".

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Isn't the PDR "unedited" anyway??

    It's mostly a collection of the kinds of information you find on the
    package inserts of prescription drugs. Basically, a "cover your ass"
    sort of document, listing anything that might have gone wrong during
    testing of the product, whether related or not.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
    These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
    "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
    were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

  15. "David Wright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Anth said:

    I'd take the natural form where possible - the way nature intended.

    "Nature" is not some sort of conscious being. "What nature intended"
    is nearly meaningless. Or are you going to argue that you're sitting
    there, typing on a computer "as nature intended?"

    I can argue and I am 100% correct on this if I don't adhere to natures laws
    that I will get very sick.
    They are still laws, but hey that is meaningless by your definition also, so
    you don't need to adhere to them?
    Your argument is 'meaningless.' 'dangerous.' by your own defintion.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    With supplements you tend to get one purified type of vitamin, with


    nature

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    you get many forms of the same vitamin as different salts.

    There's no way to know that. I agree that it's probably better to get
    one's nutrients from food rather than from supplements, because the
    food contains such a myriad of other substances, some of which may be
    important and we just don't know it yet. But in some cases, to get a
    particular dosage of vitamins from food may be impractical.

    Let me see :-
    (On my Vitamin bottle)
    Each tablet contains 1000mg vitamin c (as ascorbic acid)
    Vitamin C molecules are chiral in nature, the body favours one specific
    type, getting the wrong molecule (isomer) tends to be useless.
    I can only assume what is in the bottle is L-ascorbic acid, D-ascorbic acid
    (unlikely) or a mixture of both D and L, In which cas you aint getting
    1000mg of vitamin C. Off the top of my head there's sodium ascorbate
    magnesium ascorbate each with different solubilities and absorption.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you cannot supplement yourself with natural vitamins, then the next


    best

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    thing is natural and supplements.
    IMO vitamin sites are scamming [censored] at best.


    Well, at least we agree on something.

    Quoted message said:

    Nope. And if you go to PubMed to try to find out what absorption
    rates really are, good luck to you.

    See above - depends on what you are getting, which ratios.
    I understand vitamin c degrades over time and what you end up with is a
    mixture of L and D facing molecules.
    For instance orange juice in storage 'degrades' and you have less of the L
    molecule in it.

    Here's an interesting post
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=isomer+vitamin+c&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=a2kpu3%248q62%40news.cis.okstate.edu&rnum=1

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The reason I particularly asked this question was in reading through at
    least a dozen LIQUID vitamin vendor's websites a few months ago, they
    also claimed 90% (ninety) of their liquid vitamins was absorbed vs. 10%
    of "the others". (I thought it neat how this added up to exactly 100%
    absorption, but perhaps this was a psychological ploy?)

    Most likely. You'll have to admit that a site trying to sell you
    liquid vitamins is not likely to be objective about them.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    At any rate, the sites kept referring to the 1996 or 97 (I forget)
    Physicians Desk Reference, even the page (or article number). Since


    its

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    unlikely "normal" people can check this out, I thought the claim


    "safe".

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Isn't the PDR "unedited" anyway??

    It's mostly a collection of the kinds of information you find on the
    package inserts of prescription drugs. Basically, a "cover your ass"
    sort of document, listing anything that might have gone wrong during
    testing of the product, whether related or not.

    It is unlikely you will suffer any bad effects from taking vitamins.

    Quoted message said:

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
    These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
    "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
    were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Anth said:

    What nature intended is 'meaningless' come on - go eat your donuts then,
    take all vitamin c out of your diet.

    Hey, up yours, Anth. It *is* pretty much meaningless. Nature didn't
    *intend* anything, because it's not a conscious entity. There are
    some things we need, and some things that are nice to have, and some
    that are neutral, and some that are harmful.

    Quoted message said:

    Don't eat foliates. Now that is meaningless.

    "Foliates?" You mean folate? Or are you munching leaves?

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
    These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
    "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
    were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

    Quoted message said:

    "David Wright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Anth said:

    I'd take the natural form where possible - the way nature intended.

    "Nature" is not some sort of conscious being. "What nature intended"
    is nearly meaningless. Or are you going to argue that you're sitting
    there, typing on a computer "as nature intended?"

    Quoted message said:

    With supplements you tend to get one purified type of vitamin, with


    nature

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    you get many forms of the same vitamin as different salts.

    There's no way to know that. I agree that it's probably better to get
    one's nutrients from food rather than from supplements, because the
    food contains such a myriad of other substances, some of which may be
    important and we just don't know it yet. But in some cases, to get a
    particular dosage of vitamins from food may be impractical.

    Quoted message said:

    If you cannot supplement yourself with natural vitamins, then the next


    best

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    thing is natural and supplements.
    IMO vitamin sites are scamming [censored] at best.

    Well, at least we agree on something.

    Quoted message said:

    "Kathryn Friesen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Doesn't seem to be much consensus on vitamin absorption rates, does
    > there?

    Nope. And if you go to PubMed to try to find out what absorption
    rates really are, good luck to you.

    Quoted message said:

    > The reason I particularly asked this question was in reading through at
    > least a dozen LIQUID vitamin vendor's websites a few months ago, they
    > also claimed 90% (ninety) of their liquid vitamins was absorbed vs. 10%
    > of "the others". (I thought it neat how this added up to exactly 100%
    > absorption, but perhaps this was a psychological ploy?)

    Most likely. You'll have to admit that a site trying to sell you
    liquid vitamins is not likely to be objective about them.

    Quoted message said:

    > At any rate, the sites kept referring to the 1996 or 97 (I forget)
    > Physicians Desk Reference, even the page (or article number). Since


    its

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > unlikely "normal" people can check this out, I thought the claim


    "safe".

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Isn't the PDR "unedited" anyway??

    It's mostly a collection of the kinds of information you find on the
    package inserts of prescription drugs. Basically, a "cover your ass"
    sort of document, listing anything that might have gone wrong during
    testing of the product, whether related or not.

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Anth said:

    "David Wright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Anth said:

    I'd take the natural form where possible - the way nature intended.

    "Nature" is not some sort of conscious being. "What nature intended"
    is nearly meaningless. Or are you going to argue that you're sitting
    there, typing on a computer "as nature intended?"

    I can argue and I am 100% correct on this if I don't adhere to natures laws
    that I will get very sick.

    I can argue, and I am 100% correct on this, that it's impossible to
    violate natural laws, so your statement is meaningless.

    If you'd like to show a little precision in your language, which would
    be a welcome change, you might say that the body has various
    requirements for health, and if those requirements are not met, you
    will get sick.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    With supplements you tend to get one purified type of vitamin, with
    nature you get many forms of the same vitamin as different salts.

    There's no way to know that. I agree that it's probably better to get
    one's nutrients from food rather than from supplements, because the
    food contains such a myriad of other substances, some of which may be
    important and we just don't know it yet. But in some cases, to get a
    particular dosage of vitamins from food may be impractical.

    Let me see :-
    (On my Vitamin bottle)
    Each tablet contains 1000mg vitamin c (as ascorbic acid)
    Vitamin C molecules are chiral in nature, the body favours one specific
    type, getting the wrong molecule (isomer) tends to be useless.

    Note: useless, not harmful.

    Quoted message said:

    I can only assume what is in the bottle is L-ascorbic acid, D-ascorbic acid
    (unlikely) or a mixture of both D and L, In which cas you aint getting
    1000mg of vitamin C. Off the top of my head there's sodium ascorbate
    magnesium ascorbate each with different solubilities and absorption.

    Yep, they do exist. But do they all exist concurrently in the same
    item of food?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Nope. And if you go to PubMed to try to find out what absorption
    rates really are, good luck to you.

    See above - depends on what you are getting, which ratios.

    And more. Just try to find out *anything* about absorption rates of
    any particular nutrient and you'll find it's not a simple answer.
    It's affected by the medium in which the nutrient is contained, the
    form (liquid, gel, tablet, capsule, syrup, etc), and even whether you
    take it before or after meals.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
    These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
    "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
    were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

    Quoted message said:

    I understand vitamin c degrades over time and what you end up with is a
    mixture of L and D facing molecules.
    For instance orange juice in storage 'degrades' and you have less of the L
    molecule in it.

    Here's an interesting post
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=isomer+vitamin+c&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=a2kpu3%248q62%40news.cis.okstate.edu&rnum=1

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > The reason I particularly asked this question was in reading through at
    > least a dozen LIQUID vitamin vendor's websites a few months ago, they
    > also claimed 90% (ninety) of their liquid vitamins was absorbed vs. 10%
    > of "the others". (I thought it neat how this added up to exactly 100%
    > absorption, but perhaps this was a psychological ploy?)

    Most likely. You'll have to admit that a site trying to sell you
    liquid vitamins is not likely to be objective about them.

    Quoted message said:

    > At any rate, the sites kept referring to the 1996 or 97 (I forget)
    > Physicians Desk Reference, even the page (or article number). Since


    its

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > unlikely "normal" people can check this out, I thought the claim


    "safe".

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Isn't the PDR "unedited" anyway??

    It's mostly a collection of the kinds of information you find on the
    package inserts of prescription drugs. Basically, a "cover your ass"
    sort of document, listing anything that might have gone wrong during
    testing of the product, whether related or not.

    It is unlikely you will suffer any bad effects from taking vitamins.

    Quoted message said:

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
    These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
    "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
    were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

  18. http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss01/bioavailability.html
    That has some information on the bioavailability of vitamin c.
    Anth

    "Kathryn Friesen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    What's the 'diff" between the two? I have this mental image of little
    bits of apple & broccoli & whatever pressed into this tiny little
    "natural" pill. I don't take vitamin pills so excuse my ignorance.

    Also what's the true story on "absorption" of liquid v. pill. I see
    most online (& probably elsewhere) liquid vitamin vendors claim only 10%
    of that in pill form is ever absorbed. Is this an Urban Legend?

  19. http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2003/11/17/ascorbic_acid_is_not_vitamin_c.htm
    Anth

  20. Natural supplements are undoubtedly better than synthetic becuase of
    all the other known and unknown natural ingredients.

    Many come in pill form that can be chewn and taken with a glass of
    water thus getting the best possible absorption rate. If the coating
    of a supplement does not break down within 30-35 minutes it passes the
    point in the digestive system for good absorption, and yes, some do
    pass through the entire system and appear in sewers.

    As for being able to get sufficient vitamins and minerals from good
    intakes of fruit and vegetables, this is regrettably no longer true.
    The soils are so depleted that fruit and vegetables tested recently
    showed they lacked from 16% - 96% of their minerals and without the
    right amount of minerals in our bodies we are unable to absorb
    vitamins.

    The answer? Take a very good quality unpolluted natural product.

    Penny
    [email hidden]

    [email hidden] (David Wright) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Anth said:

    I'd take the natural form where possible - the way nature intended.

    "Nature" is not some sort of conscious being. "What nature intended"
    is nearly meaningless. Or are you going to argue that you're sitting
    there, typing on a computer "as nature intended?"

    Quoted message said:

    With supplements you tend to get one purified type of vitamin, with nature
    you get many forms of the same vitamin as different salts.

    There's no way to know that. I agree that it's probably better to get
    one's nutrients from food rather than from supplements, because the
    food contains such a myriad of other substances, some of which may be
    important and we just don't know it yet. But in some cases, to get a
    particular dosage of vitamins from food may be impractical.

    Quoted message said:

    If you cannot supplement yourself with natural vitamins, then the next best
    thing is natural and supplements.
    IMO vitamin sites are scamming [censored] at best.

    Well, at least we agree on something.

    Quoted message said:

    "Kathryn Friesen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Doesn't seem to be much consensus on vitamin absorption rates, does
    there?

    Nope. And if you go to PubMed to try to find out what absorption
    rates really are, good luck to you.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The reason I particularly asked this question was in reading through at
    least a dozen LIQUID vitamin vendor's websites a few months ago, they
    also claimed 90% (ninety) of their liquid vitamins was absorbed vs. 10%
    of "the others". (I thought it neat how this added up to exactly 100%
    absorption, but perhaps this was a psychological ploy?)

    Most likely. You'll have to admit that a site trying to sell you
    liquid vitamins is not likely to be objective about them.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    At any rate, the sites kept referring to the 1996 or 97 (I forget)
    Physicians Desk Reference, even the page (or article number). Since its
    unlikely "normal" people can check this out, I thought the claim "safe".
    Isn't the PDR "unedited" anyway??

    It's mostly a collection of the kinds of information you find on the
    package inserts of prescription drugs. Basically, a "cover your ass"
    sort of document, listing anything that might have gone wrong during
    testing of the product, whether related or not.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
    These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
    "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
    were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.