rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

NAUCC 2005 Workshop Schedule and Cedar Point trip

Started by johnfoss · · Last activity · 24 posts · 724 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
9 May 2005
Last activity
24 June 2005
Original author
johnfoss
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
724
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. NAUCC 2005 (that's the 2005 convention put on by the USA) will be at the
    end of July in Bowling Green, Ohio. Web site:
    http://www.unicycling.org/usa/naucc/2005/

    WORKSHOPS
    Host Jan Layne as asked me to coordinate the workshops. We haven't done
    much with workshops at the last few conventions, and it's time to fix
    that. So what we need are workshop leaders, and requests for workshops!
    We need to know what kind of workshops people will attend, and what
    topics they want. Also I will be using this forum to find people to do
    them.

    The convention schedule currently lists workshops on the first two days
    of the convention (July 26-27). But this is a tentative schedule and
    they may spread out as more detail gets added to this schedule. I will
    also be in touch with Jan Layne on what types of spaces we have to work
    with.

    Workshops can be more than simple dry classes on how to change your
    cranks or learn the kick-up. They can also be games, demonstrations,
    show-and-tell sessions, or whatever you want them to be.

    That being the case, I will also invite Darren Bedford to be part of
    what I hope to be a really good collection of workshops. I'm sure he'll
    have some great ideas!

    Now what about you? Come on down and show what you know! Contact me at
    the email address below.

    CEDAR POINT TRIP:
    Cedar Point is the world's greatest amusement park. If you like
    amusement parks with top rides and all the trimmings, you should make
    time on your NAUCC trip to go there. To help people out, I will provide
    information for those interested in going, and invite all unicyclists to
    the park on Monday, August 2nd. This is a great day to visit the park,
    as weekends are much more crowded. Also it is the day after the MUni
    events, which are actually on the way toward Cedar Point from Bowling
    Green!

    What makes Cedar Point so great? They are consistently rated the top
    amusement park in the country by various industry lists. They have the
    most roller coasters, or an equal number, of any other park. They have
    held the record for the tallest roller coaster not one, but four times!
    Ther tallest is about 420' tall, and goes 120 mph. Compare that to your
    local park!

    Cedar Point is not just a ride park either. It has all the other
    ingredients to make an amusement park a great experience for every
    member of the family. Lots of games, shows, a water park, a beach, a
    marina, and much more. http://www.cedarpoint.com

    Jacquie and I will be staying at the Breakers Hotel (right outside the
    park) on July 31 and August 1. Our favorite roller coaster, Millenium
    Force, is at Cedar Point. We're members of ACE (American Coaster
    Enthusiasts) so we've ridden a lot of them! You shouldn't miss it.

    If there is a serious interest, it might be possible to arrange group
    tickets, but I was not planning this. Rather just getting together with
    other amusement park enthusiasts on August 2.

    Sorry to include both of these topics in one post, but it will help keep
    the information together for me, as well as keep both topics on the same
    page in the forum listings.

    Contact me if you have any questions about Cedar Point that you can't
    find out from their web site.

    --
    johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40252

  2. I'd like to see a workshop on Mounts.

    Something that would cover Rolling mounts especially. I would love to
    learn how to mount the Coker with some momentum. Especially when I am
    out of go juice.

    Other mounts Kick up, side etc...

    Would love to go to the park, and I may have to sneak away from the
    convention to do it, since I have to be back to work on Monday the 2nd.

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

    -* [ F O N T = c e n t u r y g o t h i c ] ' H e l p C u r e D i a
    b e t e s b y S u p p o r t i n g M y R i d e ' ( h t t p : /
    / t i n y u r l . c o m / 6 8 m k v ) [ / F O N T ] * -

    *Fund Raising Honor Roll*
    Kathy Susanka
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bugman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3812
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40252

  3. In the April 18, 2005 issue of "the New Yorker" magazine there is an
    article called "Dangerous Game" about an extreme skier named Andrew
    McLean. McLean lives in Park City, Utah.

    After a few pages of relating McLean's background and some of the
    frightening things he has done on skis, this sentence appeares: "In
    warmer months, he likes to ride a unicycle on mountain trails." Near the
    end of the article there is this description of his home" "The ground
    floor is dominated by his workshop. It contains twenty-three pairs of
    skis, as well as climbing skins, boots, bicycles, unicycles, and various
    heavy mechanical saws and drills."

    I was wondering if anyone has ridden with or knows Andrew McLean?

    John Hooten

  4. I don't know him, but he sometimes posts to the 'Telemark Talk'
    (http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=1) forum. The 'New
    Yorker article' (http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7400)
    was discussed there a while ago.

    There was also a profile on McLean in 'Outside Magazine'
    (http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7339). The Outside
    article is online 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/d6esb).

    Lou Dawson, another well known backcountry skier, included a pic of a
    unicycle in his 'weblog' (http://tinyurl.com/ahu78) a while back.
    Unicycling and skiing definitely have a similar feel - balancing,
    falling forward to move ahead. Learning one skill probably helps improve
    the other.

    --
    Norwood
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Norwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9912
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40256

  5. I was at cedar point in 2000. Injured my shoulder in that highest one
    they have. After 5 years now it became some better, but even today I
    feel it when making many side-rides or sideways ww's. So no trip for
    me.

    --
    leo - unicyclist

    Leo Vandewoestijne
    '+1 866-UNI-CYCL' (callto://+18668642925)
    'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

    'Subscribe' (http://unicyclist.org/blog/rss2.xml) to 'unicyclist.org'
    (http://unicyclist.org/)!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40252

  6. Sorry about that Leo. Was that on the Millenium Force roller coaster, or
    on the "drop tower" thingie? Must have been the drop tower because
    Millenium Force doesn't have anything over your shoulders.

    For Bugman, if a mounting workshop doesn't transpire, just talk to me
    and others and we'll get you going. If you bring your Coker I can walk
    you through it. In the meantime, remember the wheel doesn't need to be
    rolling when you jump on. The momentum stays in you until you get up
    there, then you bring the wheel with you.

    --
    johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40252

  7. johnfoss said:

    *Was that on the Millenium Force roller coaster, or on the "drop
    tower" thingie? Must have been the drop tower because Millenium Force
    doesn't have anything over your shoulders.*

    It was the Millenium. The machine was'nt to blame. It was caused by my
    fear which was stronger than my muscles were attached to the bone. Or I
    made some damage to the upper-arm bone over it's length. That's still a
    mystery. It happened when I pushed myself too tight in my seat. After I
    got out I knew I had to take it slow for a week. That became longer than
    expected.
    I have to admit that I have an enormous height-fever, but well, some
    things you have to experience. And as they say, better regret things you
    have done, than regret thing you have'nt, I gave it a go, and now regret
    it. But okay, after all, the park is worth a visit if you have'nt been
    there. Just be carefull. You're rather be a sissy than have to unicycle
    around with pain for years.

    Also I had my first ever ride in a wooden rollercoaster (as I never went
    to that one in Blackpool), that was very nice!

    --
    leo - unicyclist

    Leo Vandewoestijne
    '+1 866-UNI-CYCL' (callto://+18668642925)
    'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

    'Subscribe' (http://unicyclist.org/blog/rss2.xml) to 'unicyclist.org'
    (http://unicyclist.org/)!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40252

  8. leo said:

    *Also I had my first ever ride in a wooden rollercoaster (as I never
    went to that one in Blackpool), that was very nice! *


    You must have been on the Blue Streak, not their bigger, nastier Mean
    Streak. I have a roller coaster pain story for that one, where I learned
    a lesson similar to yours.

    It's a very large, very fast coaster. I think it was the fastest woodie
    when it opened in the early 90s. The first time I rode it I pressed my
    feet against the front of the floor area, whch pressed my back into the
    seat. As the ride roared through the G-forces and vibrations, my back
    was *really* hurting. I was worried I'd be injured! Afterward I realized
    it was probably because I was pressing myself against the front and back
    of my seat area.

    Stupidly, I rode it again the next day (it had been at night, and I
    wanted to take some coaster-cam pictures). The second time, I just kept
    my feet flat on the floor and stayed relaxed throughout the ride. I felt
    fine the whole time!

    Okay, end roller coaster owie discussion and back to workshops and Cedar
    Point trip!

    --
    johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40252

  9. I think that I might make it up for the NAUCC and cedar point trip. If
    I can get off work I am definitely going to try and make it up there,
    sounds like a lot of fun!

    --
    siafirede - Flex Your Head
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40252

  10. Woody Hooten said:

    I was wondering if anyone has ridden with or knows Andrew McLean?

    John Hooten [/B]

    I know him pretty well and ride with him virtually every time he goes
    out. 🙂

    I got into uni riding when I was a kid living in Florida (not a big ski
    town) and then didn't do it again for years until a friend loaned me one
    they had used for a while. Soon after that I saw Unizaba and was blown
    away at how cool Muni's are. One of the main reasons I got into it was
    that I could do it with my two dogs - running was too hard on the body
    and mtn biking was too fast for the poochies. With a Muni, everybody
    has fun.

    I'm very interested in meeting and riding with other Muni'er around the
    Park City/Salt Lake area!

    Andrew McLean

    --
    UniFied
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UniFied's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10030
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40256

  11. As a GMD front desk clerk in the early 90's, I skied some of the chutes
    which ended up in "Chuting Gallery".

    Thanks for the cool book and it's an honor to welcome you to
    unicyclist.com.

    Oh, and congrats on all the recent publicity.

    --
    steveyo - hammer down

    steveyo

    "If your feet are cold, cover your head."
    - eskimo proverb

    "The place you buy special pants for big-balled men also sells very
    small hats."
    - me
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    steveyo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40256

  12. UniFied said:

    *I'm very interested in meeting and riding with other Muni'er around
    the Park City/Salt Lake area!*

    From the site link below you can get to the Moab Muni Fest web page.
    There you will find a "Send me a message" icon you can use to send mail
    to Rolf Thompson, the festival organizer. He's a great rider who lives
    in the Sandy area, and his son Karl is one of the better muni/trials
    riders out there. I'm sure they'd be up to do a ride sometime. They're
    also tapped into some of the other off road riders in the area.

    http://www.moabmunifest.com

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

    "By George! The man's a genius!"
    Murde Mental

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tomblackwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3762
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40256

  13. I'd love to attend workshops on riding with the seat out and riding
    backwards.

    --
    KathySusanka - Uni Count now at 15

    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KathySusanka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4309
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40252

  14. KathySusanka,

    do you really have 15 unicycles? I want a photo.

    --
    munipsycho - Sometimes I fall down.

    =====================
    'Victory belongs now to this small tree.'
    (http://munipsycho.com/stories/a_little_tree.jsp)

    'The UniSkills Assessment' (http://www.munipsycho.com/uniskills_2.jsp)

    I can fly too. But I can only fly down.
    -Little Bear

    Imagine all the people
    Riding on one wheel.
    J. Lennon. (paraphrased)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    munipsycho's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9589
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40252

  15. Since you asked....

    They live in their own little corner of the basement. I think we are
    actually up to 16 since the one in the front of the pile is new. The 8
    footer is in the shed and one of my 20's is loaned out.

    I've never attached a picture before, this may not work.

    --
    KathySusanka - Uni Count now at 15

    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KathySusanka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4309
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40252

  16. I was right, it didn't work.

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/KathySusanka/unicycles

    How do you get a picture to appear in the post?

    --
    KathySusanka - Uni Count now at 15

    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KathySusanka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4309
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40252

  17. Leo,
    you should try a chiropractor. They help after roller coasters
    especially wooden.

    Next year I want to make it to this NAUCC thingy, do a lot of kids go?

    e39m5

    --
    e39m5
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    e39m5's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9836
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40252

  18. Like this!

    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/KathySusanka/unicycles.jpg]

    I just put the address were the photo resides in the box that pops up
    when you click on the IMG button above the area were you write the text
    for your post.

    --
    bugman
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bugman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3812
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40252

  19. Thanks, bugman!
    Maybe I should ask for a work shop on how to store unicycles. What a
    mess!

    --
    KathySusanka - Uni Count now at 15

    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KathySusanka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4309
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40252

  20. KathySusanka said:

    *Maybe I should ask for a work shop on how to store unicycles. What a
    mess! *


    I've gotten pretty good at that over the years, having hung them
    originally in my parents' basement, and then stored them in nine
    successive garages, basements and sheds since then! My uni count is
    30-something...

    --
    johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40252

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.