UK and Europe · Public discussion

Neck hurts - any sugestions?

Started by Balin, Son of Fundin · · Last activity · 8 posts · 604 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
8 February 2005
Last activity
14 February 2005
Original author
Balin, Son of Fundin
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
604
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi Guys,
    Sometimes I have a aching "crick" that I seem to get after being on the bike
    for an hour or so. Once I start to get this I have to sit up every five
    minutes or so for a few seconds. It seems to be at the very bottom of my
    neck where it joins the shoulders on the left side. My bike seems to fit
    okay - I have no other problems other than this annoying quible. I have the
    problem on my summer and winter bikes. Is it me the rider who has a
    weakness in this area that'll get better with training? Or is it
    incorrectly set up?

    Would like to hear any comments.
    Regards,
    BSOF

  2. Balin said:

    Sometimes I have a aching "crick" that I seem to get after being on the bike
    for an hour or so. Once I start to get this I have to sit up every five
    minutes or so for a few seconds. It seems to be at the very bottom of my
    neck where it joins the shoulders on the left side. My bike seems to fit
    okay - I have no other problems other than this annoying quible. I have the
    problem on my summer and winter bikes. Is it me the rider who has a
    weakness in this area that'll get better with training? Or is it
    incorrectly set up?

    It's incorrectly set up. You need a bike set up with the pedals at the
    front, and with a comfy reclining seat instead of a saddle, so that you
    can comfortably look forward without developing a crick in your neck.

    --
    Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
    <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  3. Balin, Son of Fundin <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : Hi Guys,

    : problem on my summer and winter bikes. Is it me the rider who has a
    : weakness in this area that'll get better with training? Or is it
    : incorrectly set up?

    How long have you been riding like this, and has this just started
    or has it always done this. I'd suggest bars too low as a first
    guess myself.

    Arhtur

    --
    Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

  4. Danny Colyer said:

    It's incorrectly set up. You need a bike set up with the pedals at the
    front, and with a comfy reclining seat instead of a saddle, so that you
    can comfortably look forward without developing a crick in your neck.

    I got [censored] at for that response last week! Harrumph! ;-)

    Jon

  5. Jon Senior said:

    I got [censored] at for that response last week! Harrumph! ;-)=

    Maybe we should invite Dolan, Gin and JohnnyNoCock to take part in this?
    They'll give you all the [censored] you can stand ;-)

    (For confused uk.r.c readers -- if you don't currently read a.r.b.r then
    you made the correct decision, or non-decision as the case may be.)

    Mike

  6. "Balin, Son of Fundin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Guys,
    Sometimes I have a aching "crick" that I seem to get after being on the


    bike

    Quoted message said:

    for an hour or so. Once I start to get this I have to sit up every five
    minutes or so for a few seconds. It seems to be at the very bottom of my
    neck where it joins the shoulders on the left side. My bike seems to fit
    okay - I have no other problems other than this annoying quible. I have


    the

    Quoted message said:

    problem on my summer and winter bikes. Is it me the rider who has a
    weakness in this area that'll get better with training? Or is it
    incorrectly set up?

    Would like to hear any comments.
    Regards,
    BSOF

    I have recently posted a similar plea for help. See the Aching Shoulders
    thread for advice given. I had the same problem with my new bike. I rose the
    seat a couple of inches and the neck / shoulder pain went!

    --
    Regards, Paul (R)
    My Lake District walking site:
    www.lakelandwalker.co.uk

  7. "Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Danny Colyer said:

    It's incorrectly set up. You need a bike set up with the pedals at the
    front, and with a comfy reclining seat instead of a saddle, so that you
    can comfortably look forward without developing a crick in your neck.

    I got [censored] at for that response last week! Harrumph! ;-)

    Jon

    I wonder who that could have been! ;o)

    --
    Regards, Paul (R)
    My Lake District walking site:
    www.lakelandwalker.co.uk

  8. Balin said:

    Hi Guys,
    Sometimes I have a aching "crick" that I seem to get after being on the bike
    for an hour or so. Once I start to get this I have to sit up every five
    minutes or so for a few seconds. It seems to be at the very bottom of my
    neck where it joins the shoulders on the left side. My bike seems to fit
    okay - I have no other problems other than this annoying quible. I have the
    problem on my summer and winter bikes. Is it me the rider who has a
    weakness in this area that'll get better with training? Or is it
    incorrectly set up?

    Would like to hear any comments.
    Regards,
    BSOF

    Does it feel like a burning crick or a stabbing crick? If it's a
    burning sensation then it is more likely to be a repetitive strain I.E.
    something you do all the time, like using a computer for long periods,
    that is exacerbated by one type of action. If it's a stabbing pain it
    would more likely be a tear in the muscle which is being teased. You
    often find this sort of injury caused by chin ups or weight exercises
    you may have to live with it. I have a similar injury which is now 12
    years old and is very painful, added to my crushed heals, caused by
    cross decking in a high sea, I have many pains that I just have to live
    with. Thought your not wearing a rucksack are you?
    Sniper8052

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.