need a bike for pan mass challenge

rmcneill

Mar 26, 2011
hi guys,

I know nothing about biking and have never done more than 30 miles in one day. I do not own a bike and signed up for the pan mass challenge (180 miles in 2 days) benefit for cancer. I need help! Any suggestions for a bike that will be light, heard carbon? and will not make my back sore...(I heard I do not want a rigid bike) all for under 800 since I will only train with it and do the ride...and wait til next year to do it all over again probably...any help would be much appreciated...thanks!!!

You left some info out that's needed to make a suggestion. Your age. how long till the event, will it be 100 miles the first dar and 80 the second. One thing for sure you will not get a new carbon bike for $800.00 unless you are very lucky or it's hot.

thanks phil! how about a carbon fork...does that help? also, your answers: I am 22...I am 6 feet 220 lbs...the race is in 3 months...and it is 100 miles first day 80 the second. any suggestions for cheapest you can think of?

You really don't need "much bike" to do the PMC. It's a fully catered affair and is not a race, it's a ride :) You will get massages, foot rubs and all you can, but shouldn't necessarily, eat. For $800 you can get a good quality off the shelf bike, about double that for carbon. Since you don't ride that much right now, you should be more concerned about proper fit, then focus on the bike. This means picking a store first, then the bike with the right help from the store. It's your fit that will help keep your back, and other parts, well, the material is secondary these days in that regard. Even alloy bikes these days are much better than late 90's, as an example.

BTW: the PMC is the first full weekend in August, are you doing the same ride I am? :)

Mike and Neil good luck with your fund raising. Not sure if its allowed around here but post your pace line maybe you can get some contributions. Great ride for a good cause.

Hi - I had the same question as McNeill. I'm a first time PMC rider and have been training in the gym, but want to get a lightweight but sturdy bike. A bit wimpier than McNeill -- I'm only riding the first day. Stores always try to sell you on what they have, not necessarily what's the better value for the price. I plan to get back into long distance training and biking even after the PMC (about 15yrs ago my longest rides were about 45 mi). Any particular frames that are better for women? As FYI, I'm 43 and 5'3".

Hi CAPEJAN and welcome to the forum. Today many manufactures have offering in bikes that they refer to as "WSD" woman specific design. These bike are built with the female rider in mind. These are not step through frames they are bikes that are sized to match female anatomy.
You need to decide on a budget and start looking into bikes priced in your range. It is best to know the bike lines carried by your LBS so when you are researching you can look into bikes sold locally. It has always been my expierence when looking to buy a new bike is to show up at the showroom with an idea of what I want. If you go to the LBS without any info they will try and figure out what you want and need and most likely will be showing you higher end bikes. Once you have a list of bikes that meet your criteria you can post them onto a new thread and folks around here will really enjoy sifting through them and helping you make a good decision. Good luck riding the Challenge.
Dave

Thanks Dave. I'm focusing on either a Specialized or Trek now, with one last trip to the LBS...but you're right that they have more designs for women than years ago. It's nice to see that.
Cheers -
JAN