Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Need a clue to take off cranks - Help?!?

Started by Jbk · · Last activity · 11 posts · 1,319 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 February 2004
Last activity
23 February 2004
Original author
Jbk
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,319
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm a novice mechanic trying to rehabilitate a bike abandoned by a friend. It's a Nishiki Sport (mtn
    bike), ~10 years old. I'm trying to replace the bottom bracket, which has disintegrated. I took off
    the nuts where the cranks (apparently) attach to the bottom bracket but I can't figure out how to
    get the cranks off. Here are 3 close-up pictures: johnkim.myserver.orgbike I looked
    at some how-to books & websites to no avail. Can someone provide a clue? Thanks,

    -John

  2. You need a crank extractor,see your local bike shop to buy one and ask to
    the guy how to use it. Good luck! Jim.
    "JBK" <[email hidden]> a écrit dans le message de
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm a novice mechanic trying to rehabilitate a bike abandoned by a friend. It's a Nishiki
    Sport (mtn bike), ~10 years old. I'm trying to replace the bottom bracket, which has
    disintegrated. I took off the nuts where the cranks (apparently) attach to the bottom bracket
    but I can't figure out


    how

    Quoted message said:

    to get the cranks off. Here are 3 close-up pictures: johnkim.myserver.orgbike I
    looked at some how-to books & websites to no avail. Can someone provide a clue? Thanks,

    -John

  3. JBK said:

    I'm a novice mechanic trying to rehabilitate a bike abandoned by a friend. It's a Nishiki Sport
    (mtn bike), ~10 years old. I'm trying to replace the bottom bracket, which has disintegrated. I
    took off the nuts where the cranks (apparently) attach to the bottom bracket but I can't figure out
    how to get the cranks off. Here are 3 close-up pictures: johnkim.myserver.orgbike I
    looked at some how-to books & websites to no avail. Can someone provide a clue? Thanks,

    -John

    parktool.comFAQrCarm.shtml

    Looks as if your axle has a threaded end. The photos on the Park site show mainly ones that have
    internal threads. No biggie- you just need to back off the inner part of the crank puller tool
    enough so that it pushes against the end while *thoroughly threaded* into the crank arm.

    Be careful threading the tool on- go slow, backwards until you feel it drop into the end of the
    threads and then thread. Don't force. Grease on the threads of the tool is helpful.

  4. Dan Daniel said:

    Looks as if your axle has a threaded end.

    Yes, the ends are threaded (and had nuts on each end, which I took off [2nd picture]).

    Quoted message said:

    back off the inner part of the crank puller tool enough so that it pushes against the end while
    *thoroughly threaded* into the crank arm.

    I hope this makes more sense once I get a crank extractor, but ... what's holding the crank in place
    right now? Is it friction? Or is it screwed in somehow? Or some sort of clip?

    I took a look at some crank extractors online and there seem to be universal ones that fit both
    threaded axles and square axles. I hope something like that works for my bike. I'll swing by a local
    bikeshop tomorrow and see what they have.

    Thanks Doc & Dan.

    -John

  5. JBK said:
    Dan Daniel said:

    Looks as if your axle has a threaded end.

    Yes, the ends are threaded (and had nuts on each end, which I took off [2nd picture]).

    Quoted message said:

    back off the inner part of the crank puller tool enough so that it pushes against the end while
    *thoroughly threaded* into the crank arm.

    I hope this makes more sense once I get a crank extractor, but ... what's holding the crank in
    place right now? Is it friction? Or is it screwed in somehow? Or some sort of clip?

    It's basically friction.

    The crank arm is mounted on a tapered square drive, and the retaining bolt has pushed the arm onto
    this taper with considerable force.

    Have a look at:

    sheldonbrown.comcotterless.html

    for more info.

    Quoted message said:


    I took a look at some crank extractors online and there seem to be universal ones that fit both
    threaded axles and square axles. I hope something like that works for my bike. I'll swing by a
    local bikeshop tomorrow and see what they have.

    Thanks Doc & Dan.

    -John

    a) Top posting.
    b) What's the worst thing about UseNet?

  6. Quoted message said:

    a) Top posting.
    q) What's the worst thing about UseNet?

    You prefer spam over top posting?!

    "vic" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JBK said:
    Dan Daniel said:

    Looks as if your axle has a threaded end.

    Yes, the ends are threaded (and had nuts on each end, which I took off


    [2nd

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    picture]).

    Quoted message said:

    back off the inner part of the crank puller tool enough so that it pushes against the end while
    *thoroughly threaded* into the crank arm.

    I hope this makes more sense once I get a crank extractor, but ... what's holding the crank in
    place right now? Is it friction? Or is it screwed in somehow? Or some sort of clip?

    It's basically friction.

    The crank arm is mounted on a tapered square drive, and the retaining bolt has pushed the arm onto
    this taper with considerable force.

    Have a look at:

    sheldonbrown.comcotterless.html

    for more info.

    Quoted message said:


    I took a look at some crank extractors online and there seem to be


    universal

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ones that fit both threaded axles and square axles. I hope something like that works for my bike.
    I'll swing by a local bikeshop tomorrow and see


    what

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    they have.

    Thanks Doc & Dan.

    -John

    a) Top posting.
    q) What's the worst thing about UseNet?

  7. Ronald said:
    Quoted message said:

    a) Top posting.
    q) What's the worst thing about UseNet?

    You prefer spam over top posting?!

    Weeelll, yes and no: I really don't give a toss about newsgroup spam, as I only ever have to
    download the headers. Yes, it pushes worthy stuff off some high-traffic groups, but with a decent
    newsfeed, this ain't ever fatal.

    Spammers are like incontinent feral animals, recognising no rules and rspecting nothing and nobody.

    Top-posting newsgroup participants really should know better.

    Vic.

    a) Top posting.
    b) What's the worst thing about UseNet?

  8. vic said:

    Top-posting newsgroup participants really should know better.

    Vic.

    a) Top posting.
    q) What's the worst thing about UseNet?

    Didn't it used to say /most annoying/ thing?

    Bill "more accurate, IMO" S.

  9. S o r n i said:
    vic said:

    Top-posting newsgroup participants really should know better.

    Vic.

    a) Top posting.
    q) What's the worst thing about UseNet?

    Didn't it used to say /most annoying/ thing?

    Bill "more accurate, IMO" S.

    I'm not sure... I'll do a quick Google later to check.

    Vic.

    q) What's the most annoying thing about UseNet?
    r) Pedantry.

  10. On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:20:21 +0100, "Ronald"

    may have said:
    Quoted message said:

    a) Top posting.
    q) What's the worst thing about UseNet?

    You prefer spam over top posting?!

    a) because I don't read it, and wouldn't respond to it, so it doesn't cause me to have to fix the
    format before I can do something with it.
    b) why is spam less annoying than top posting?
    c) yes, though I am known to delete both *unread*.
    d) You prefer spam over top posting?!

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  11. On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:38:00 +0000, vic <[email hidden]>

    may have said:
    S o r n i said:
    vic said:

    Top-posting newsgroup participants really should know better.

    Vic.

    a) Top posting.
    q) What's the worst thing about UseNet?

    Didn't it used to say /most annoying/ thing?

    Bill "more accurate, IMO" S.

    I'm not sure... I'll do a quick Google later to check.

    Vic.

    q) What's the most annoying thing about UseNet?
    a) Pedantry.

    AOL may be worse than pedantry.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.