Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Need a solution for red ants on the trail...

Started by Dan Volker · · Last activity · 53 posts · 2,004 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
20 May 2004
Last activity
28 May 2004
Original author
Dan Volker
Posts
53
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,004
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 53
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Does anyone have some good ideas on how to prevent getting bitten to hell by
    red ants? On two of the trails I am riding alot now, there always seems to
    be alot of red ants, and I get more red ant bites on my lower legs each time
    I ride. Since each takes about two weeks to go away, this is becoming a real
    pain. My best solution so far is a very strong insect repellant that I rub
    on my lower legs just before riding, but it still lets a few bite.

    Dan V

  2. Dan Volker said:

    Does anyone have some good ideas on how to prevent getting bitten to hell by
    red ants? On two of the trails I am riding alot now, there always seems to
    be alot of red ants, and I get more red ant bites on my lower legs each time
    I ride. Since each takes about two weeks to go away, this is becoming a real
    pain. My best solution so far is a very strong insect repellant that I rub
    on my lower legs just before riding, but it still lets a few bite.

    Eat a teaspoon of sulfur before the ride.... Of course, you'll smell like
    a devil and your friends will leave you....

    But it does work.

    --Kamus

  3. "Dan Volker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have some good ideas on how to prevent getting bitten to hell


    by

    Quoted message said:

    red ants? On two of the trails I am riding alot now, there always seems to
    be alot of red ants, and I get more red ant bites on my lower legs each


    time

    Quoted message said:

    I ride. Since each takes about two weeks to go away, this is becoming a


    real

    Quoted message said:

    pain. My best solution so far is a very strong insect repellant that I rub
    on my lower legs just before riding, but it still lets a few bite.

    Dan V

    Don't stop on the trail where you know they are? Just keep riding?

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  4. "Carla A-G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Dan Volker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone have some good ideas on how to prevent getting bitten to


    hell

    Quoted message said:

    by

    Quoted message said:

    red ants? On two of the trails I am riding alot now, there always seems


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be alot of red ants, and I get more red ant bites on my lower legs each


    time

    Quoted message said:

    I ride. Since each takes about two weeks to go away, this is becoming a


    real

    Quoted message said:

    pain. My best solution so far is a very strong insect repellant that I


    rub

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    on my lower legs just before riding, but it still lets a few bite.

    Dan V

    Don't stop on the trail where you know they are? Just keep riding?

    - CA-G


    Carla,
    I don't stop. They get kicked up from the tires and land on your legs, along
    with dust and dirt from the trail. Its not continuous---it might only be 5
    or 6 spots along a 10 mile trail--but this can still equal half a dozen
    bites!
    Dan V

  5. "Kamus of Kadizhar" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dan Volker said:

    Does anyone have some good ideas on how to prevent getting bitten to


    hell by

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    red ants? On two of the trails I am riding alot now, there always seems


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be alot of red ants, and I get more red ant bites on my lower legs each


    time

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I ride. Since each takes about two weeks to go away, this is becoming a


    real

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    pain. My best solution so far is a very strong insect repellant that I


    rub

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    on my lower legs just before riding, but it still lets a few bite.

    Eat a teaspoon of sulfur before the ride.... Of course, you'll smell like
    a devil and your friends will leave you....

    But it does work.

    --Kamus

    Kamus,
    I'm not sure if you are puling my leg or not..and I've never seen sulphur
    for sale in Health food stores ( though I've never looked for it either). I
    have seen MSM, and take it, this being a sulphur bearing compound, but it
    does not appear to have any effect on the ants.
    Out of curiosity, where did you hear about sulphur working like this?
    Dan V

  6. "Dan Volker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Kamus of Kadizhar" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dan Volker said:

    Does anyone have some good ideas on how to prevent getting bitten to


    hell by

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    red ants? On two of the trails I am riding alot now, there always


    seems

    Quoted message said:

    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be alot of red ants, and I get more red ant bites on my lower legs


    each

    Quoted message said:

    time

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I ride. Since each takes about two weeks to go away, this is becoming


    a

    Quoted message said:

    real

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    pain. My best solution so far is a very strong insect repellant that I


    rub

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    on my lower legs just before riding, but it still lets a few bite.

    Eat a teaspoon of sulfur before the ride.... Of course, you'll smell


    like

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a devil and your friends will leave you....

    But it does work.

    --Kamus

    Kamus,
    I'm not sure if you are puling my leg or not..and I've never seen sulphur
    for sale in Health food stores ( though I've never looked for it either).


    I

    Quoted message said:

    have seen MSM, and take it, this being a sulphur bearing compound, but it
    does not appear to have any effect on the ants.
    Out of curiosity, where did you hear about sulphur working like this?
    Dan V

    Many ant killing products found in stores contain sulphur. I don't know if
    sulphur is safe to digest for a human tho.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  7. "Carla A-G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Dan Volker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Kamus of Kadizhar" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 07:29:12 -0400, Dan Volker wrote:

    > Does anyone have some good ideas on how to prevent getting bitten to


    hell by

    Quoted message said:

    > red ants? On two of the trails I am riding alot now, there always


    seems

    Quoted message said:

    to

    Quoted message said:

    > be alot of red ants, and I get more red ant bites on my lower legs


    each

    Quoted message said:

    time

    Quoted message said:

    > I ride. Since each takes about two weeks to go away, this is


    becoming

    Quoted message said:

    a

    Quoted message said:

    real

    Quoted message said:

    > pain. My best solution so far is a very strong insect repellant that


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    rub

    Quoted message said:

    > on my lower legs just before riding, but it still lets a few bite.
    >

    Eat a teaspoon of sulfur before the ride.... Of course, you'll smell


    like

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a devil and your friends will leave you....

    But it does work.

    --Kamus

    Kamus,
    I'm not sure if you are puling my leg or not..and I've never seen


    sulphur

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    for sale in Health food stores ( though I've never looked for it


    either).

    Quoted message said:

    I

    Quoted message said:

    have seen MSM, and take it, this being a sulphur bearing compound, but


    it

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    does not appear to have any effect on the ants.
    Out of curiosity, where did you hear about sulphur working like this?
    Dan V

    Many ant killing products found in stores contain sulphur. I don't know if
    sulphur is safe to digest for a human tho.

    Yes, but it will likely make on fart the most vile demonic stenches ever.

    Never heard of 'brimstone and treacle' ?

    Shaun aRe

  8. Dan Volker said:

    I don't stop. They get kicked up from the tires and land on your
    legs, along with dust and dirt from the trail. Its not
    continuous---it might only be 5 or 6 spots along a 10 mile trail--but
    this can still equal half a dozen bites!
    Dan V

    wear lightweight long pants and shirt?

  9. On 2004-05-20, Dan Volker penned:

    Quoted message said:


    Carla, I don't stop. They get kicked up from the tires and land on
    your legs, along with dust and dirt from the trail. Its not
    continuous---it might only be 5 or 6 spots along a 10 mile trail--but
    this can still equal half a dozen bites! Dan V

    This is gonna sound ridiculous, but what about wearing soccer socks or
    something similar that will cover your lower leg? Do they bite through
    thick fabric?

    --
    monique

  10. "Monique Y. Mudama" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 2004-05-20, Dan Volker penned:

    Quoted message said:


    Carla, I don't stop. They get kicked up from the tires and land on
    your legs, along with dust and dirt from the trail. Its not
    continuous---it might only be 5 or 6 spots along a 10 mile trail--but
    this can still equal half a dozen bites! Dan V

    This is gonna sound ridiculous, but what about wearing soccer socks or
    something similar that will cover your lower leg? Do they bite through
    thick fabric?

    --
    monique

    Monique,
    I have been wearing white athletic socks--like you wear for the gym or
    tennis. The ants get though these, and bite even down in areas inside the
    shoe--meaning they are getting under the socks and moving down. I'd
    consider soaking the socks in insect repellant, on the hope that this would
    make crawling under them a non-option for the ants...Since I started putting
    insect repellant heavily over my lower legs, the only place I am getting bit
    now is under my socks ( but I put the repellant on prior to putting the
    socks on, so it is on under the socks).
    Dan V

  11. On Thu, 20 May 2004 07:29:12 -0400, "Dan Volker" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    ..Does anyone have some good ideas on how to prevent getting bitten to hell by
    ..red ants? On two of the trails I am riding alot now, there always seems to
    ..be alot of red ants, and I get more red ant bites on my lower legs each time
    ..I ride. Since each takes about two weeks to go away, this is becoming a real
    ..pain. My best solution so far is a very strong insect repellant that I rub
    ..on my lower legs just before riding, but it still lets a few bite.
    ..
    ..Dan V

    Yeah: don't go there!

    ===
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  12. Carla A-G said:

    sulphur is safe to digest for a human tho.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!


    In theory it is safe to eat, but I wouldn't recommend it. . .
    http://www.pestell.com/MSDS_sheets/msds_sulphur.htm

    Bryan

  13. Dan Volker said:

    Does anyone have some good ideas on how to prevent getting bitten to hell by
    red ants? On two of the trails I am riding alot now, there always seems to
    be alot of red ants, and I get more red ant bites on my lower legs each time
    I ride. Since each takes about two weeks to go away, this is becoming a real
    pain. My best solution so far is a very strong insect repellant that I rub
    on my lower legs just before riding, but it still lets a few bite.

    Use honey. Rub it liberally on both legs. Apply it to your frame also.
    They'll stick to both and won't be able to inject their venom.

    Bonus! you'll have a healthy protein snack when you're finished!

    You've just reminded me of reason number 3 why I don't live in Florida
    anymore.

    nk

  14. Shaun Rimmer said:
    Quoted message said:

    Many ant killing products found in stores contain sulphur. I don't know if
    sulphur is safe to digest for a human tho.

    Yes, but it will likely make on fart the most vile demonic stenches


    ever.

    Its true - I've read that the smell of farts comes from sulpher. Many
    foods contain some. Now, WHY was I reading about the smell of farts?...

    Quoted message said:

    Never heard of 'brimstone and treacle' ?

    Nope. Guess my fart studies must not be as developed as yours. ;-)

    --
    -BB-
    To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

  15. Dan Volker said:

    I have been wearing white athletic socks--like you wear for the gym or
    tennis. The ants get though these, and bite even down in areas inside the
    shoe--meaning they are getting under the socks and moving down.

    You need to get some of those 70's style knee-high socks. Schweet!

    Maybe normal crew-length socks, instead of the shorter ones?

    Friggin' fire ants. We used to have those things all over the place in
    Texas. My wife-slash-doting-mother just HAD to have the baby in our room
    for the first several months, so my daughter slept in a cradle on the
    floor; one night the voice in my head woke me up and told me to check the
    kid out, and she was swarmed with fire ants (and bitten several times).
    Lesson #1: keep the child in a raised bed. Lesson #2: the wrath of an
    angered mother is frightening. Lesson #2 (from lesson #2): boiling water
    mixed with Diazanon does wonders on fire ant hills, and you get the bonus
    of watching them writhing.

    Carrying a few quarts of boiling water could be difficult on a bike,
    though.

    --
    -BB-
    To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

  16. BB said:

    My wife-slash-doting-mother just HAD to have the baby

    You married your mother, Blaine?!? (*And* she had your child???)

    Bill "didn't know you were from Appalachia" S.


  17. Quoted message said:

    Use honey. Rub it liberally on both legs. Apply it to your frame also.

    Rather than using honey - which will likely attract copious amounts of
    flying insects, possibly of the stinging variety - why not try using
    vaseline instead?

  18. "Bryan Heit" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Carla A-G said:

    sulphur is safe to digest for a human tho.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!


    In theory it is safe to eat, but I wouldn't recommend it. . .
    http://www.pestell.com/MSDS_sheets/msds_sulphur.htm

    Bryan

    I never said it was safe to digest for a human nor would I recommend it.
    Next time, include my whole quote instead of half of it. Here, I'll even
    include it:

    "Many ant killing products found in stores contain sulphur. I don't know if
    sulphur is safe to digest for a human tho."

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  19. "BB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dan Volker said:

    I have been wearing white athletic socks--like you wear for the gym or
    tennis. The ants get though these, and bite even down in areas inside


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    shoe--meaning they are getting under the socks and moving down.

    You need to get some of those 70's style knee-high socks. Schweet!

    Gee thanks.., that could look almost as "cool" as the Tron outfit ;-)

    I think I will douse the socks and bike shoes in insect repellant before
    riding today, and see if this slows the little [censored] down.
    Regards,
    Dan V

  20. Dan Volker said:

    I think I will douse the socks and bike shoes in insect repellant before
    riding today, and see if this slows the little [censored] down.

    Be careful with that stuff, as there's actually a REASON for the warning
    label on those kind of products. Small amounts goes through your skin and if
    used in excessive amounts you'll actually poison yourself instead of the
    ants. 🙂 Don't think you'd risk actually dying unless you drink it or bathe
    in it, but you could get nauseous, have headaches & such symptoms I believe.
    It's not cotton candy, heh. It's rather dangerous chemicals and not good for
    either you or nature in general... (Guess Mike will stop by and start
    b!tching about the threat of MTBers using pesticides too, as if he didn't
    have enough to whine about. Argh... 🙂 )

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.