Need advice on pedals and shoes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Road2kona, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Road2kona

    Road2kona Guest

    I need recommendations for what types of pedals and shoes would work well for road training toward
    an ironman. Basically, there are just so many choices out there that I don't know where to begin to
    find good basic equip for beginners. I live in a rural area 200 miles from the nearest bike
    shop...so I will be buying online without trying them out first. Thanks for the help.

    Tags:

  2. R15757

    R15757 Guest

    Road2Kona wrote:

    << I need recommendations for what types of pedals and shoes would work well for road training
    toward an ironman. Basically, there are just so many choices out there that I don't know where to
    begin to find good basic equip for beginners. I live in a rural area 200 miles from the nearest bike
    shop...so I will be buying online without trying them out first. Thanks for the help. >>

    Ouch. buy shoes without trying them on first? A situation to avoid. Are there any other bike dorks
    around--you could try their shoes if they are near your size to get a basic idea of what a certain
    size in a certain brand might feel like. Most shoes are European sizing (43,44,45...) and a 44 in
    one brand is not necessarily going to feel like a 44 in another brand.

    I dont know what your budget is but if you've got the ching I recommend Sidi Dominators (with
    replaceable sole) or perhaps high-end Shimano mtb shoes and Time mtb pedals. Using an mtb set-up
    allows you to walk easily while off the bike--it will allow you to use your bike for trips when you
    might otherwise drive. In other words, more training possibilities. I seriously doubt this is the
    conventional wisdom among the tri crowd though.

    good luck, Robert

  3. Road2kona

    Road2kona Guest

    [email protected] (R15757) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Road2Kona wrote:
    >
    > << I need recommendations for what types of pedals and shoes would work well for road training
    > toward an ironman. Basically, there are just so many choices out there that I don't know where to
    > begin to find good basic equip for beginners. I live in a rural area 200 miles from the nearest
    > bike shop...so I will be buying online without trying them out first. Thanks for the help. >>
    >

    > Ouch. buy shoes without trying them on first? A situation to avoid. Are there any other bike dorks
    > around--you could try their shoes if they are near your size to get a basic idea of what a certain
    > size in a certain brand might feel like. Most shoes are European sizing (43,44,45...) and a 44 in
    > one brand is not necessarily going to feel like a 44 in another brand.
    >
    > I dont know what your budget is but if you've got the ching I recommend Sidi Dominators (with
    > replaceable sole) or perhaps high-end Shimano mtb shoes and Time mtb pedals. Using an mtb set-up
    > allows you to walk easily while off the bike--it will allow you to use your bike for trips when
    > you might otherwise drive. In other words, more training possibilities. I seriously doubt this is
    > the conventional wisdom among the tri crowd though.
    >
    > good luck, Robert

    Thanks for the help. I may wait for my next trip to town and try some shoes on then.

  4. Amh

    Amh Guest

    [email protected] (road2kona) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I need recommendations for what types of pedals and shoes would work well for road training toward
    > an ironman. Basically, there are just so many choices out there that I don't know where to begin
    > to find good basic equip for beginners. I live in a rural area 200 miles from the nearest bike
    > shop...so I will be buying online without trying them out first. Thanks for the help.

    You may want to try rec.sport.triathlon for easily thousands of opinions.

    My tri bike (that I've used for a half ironman) is equiped with look pedals of 1993 vintage. I have
    a pair of shimano shoes of the kind that has a single strap that zig zags up the shoe toward a
    velcro closure.

    I love the shoes and dearly hope I can find a replacement pair since they are wearing out fast (8
    years of riding).

    What is comes down to is what feels best. It is worth a 400 mile round trip to ensure that your
    shoes will help you train for a race where you'll be wearing these shoes for 5 hours (give or take).

    Andy