General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Need advice re: jogging in snow and ice

Started by SR · · Last activity · 26 posts · 889 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 November 2004
Last activity
27 November 2004
Original author
SR
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
889
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm new to jogging this year, and would like to jog outside through
    the winter. My route takes me along sidewalks, paved roads and dirt
    trails in the woods - none of these are particularly well plowed in
    winter. Yesterday there were patches of ice on the ground, and I
    found it difficult to keep my footing and my pace.

    I'd appreciate any tips for keeping one's footing while running on
    snowy/icy ground.

    - Are there particular running shoes which are good for running in ice
    and light snow?
    - I've found yaktrax to be helpful for walking and light hiking in
    winter - are there similar products which are helpful for running on
    icy snow? Has anyone used them and found them to be effective?
    - Are there techniques which will help me keep my footing in such
    conditions?

    I'd really appreciate any advice, and I thank you in advance for your
    suggestions.

  2. SR said:

    I'm new to jogging this year, and would like to jog outside through
    the winter. My route takes me along sidewalks, paved roads and dirt
    trails in the woods - none of these are particularly well plowed in
    winter. Yesterday there were patches of ice on the ground, and I
    found it difficult to keep my footing and my pace.

    I'd appreciate any tips for keeping one's footing while running on
    snowy/icy ground.

    1. Run somewhere that's better cleared.
    2. Snow, either fresh or hard-packed is MUCH less slippery than ice.
    Run on the snow, and around the ice. Be careful though - a light
    dusting of snow on top of a sheet of ice is VERY slippery.
    3. Run VERY carefully, and avoid ice sheets whenever possible.
    Cathy Weeks

  3. SR said:

    I'm new to jogging this year, and would like to jog outside through
    the winter. My route takes me along sidewalks, paved roads and dirt
    trails in the woods - none of these are particularly well plowed in
    winter. Yesterday there were patches of ice on the ground, and I
    found it difficult to keep my footing and my pace.

    I'd appreciate any tips for keeping one's footing while running on
    snowy/icy ground.

    1. Run somewhere that's better cleared.
    2. Snow, either fresh or hard-packed is MUCH less slippery than ice.
    Run on the snow, and around the ice. Be careful though - a light
    dusting of snow on top of a sheet of ice is VERY slippery.
    3. Run VERY carefully, and avoid ice sheets whenever possible.
    Cathy Weeks

  4. "SR" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    - I've found yaktrax to be helpful for walking and light hiking in
    winter - are there similar products which are helpful for running on
    icy snow? Has anyone used them and found them to be effective?
    - Are there techniques which will help me keep my footing in such
    conditions?

    http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm Works great!

    -DF

  5. Don't

  6. rec.running <[email hidden]> writes:

    : SR wrote:
    :> I'm new to jogging this year, and would like to jog outside through
    :> the winter. My route takes me along sidewalks, paved roads and dirt
    :> trails in the woods - none of these are particularly well plowed in
    :> winter. Yesterday there were patches of ice on the ground, and I
    :> found it difficult to keep my footing and my pace.
    :>
    :> I'd appreciate any tips for keeping one's footing while running on
    :> snowy/icy ground.

    : 1. Run somewhere that's better cleared.
    : 2. Snow, either fresh or hard-packed is MUCH less slippery than ice.
    : Run on the snow, and around the ice. Be careful though - a light
    : dusting of snow on top of a sheet of ice is VERY slippery.
    : 3. Run VERY carefully, and avoid ice sheets whenever possible.
    : Cathy Weeks

    Cathy!

    Are you the same Cathy from mkp, mkb?

    Larry

  7. Larry McMahan said:

    Cathy!

    Are you the same Cathy from mkp, mkb?


    Yup, that's me!

    I'm guessing you're a runner, then?

    Cathy Weeks

  8. rec.running said:


    SR said:

    I'm new to jogging this year, and would like to jog outside through
    the winter. My route takes me along sidewalks, paved roads and dirt
    trails in the woods - none of these are particularly well plowed in
    winter. Yesterday there were patches of ice on the ground, and I
    found it difficult to keep my footing and my pace.

    I'd appreciate any tips for keeping one's footing while running on
    snowy/icy ground.

    1. Run somewhere that's better cleared.

    Hmmm....are you perhaps referring to Florida??? Or maybe I should aim
    for Hawaii... :-)

    I live in New England, and am amazed at how poorly maintained the
    sidewalks and streets here are in winter. It often takes several days
    for the sidewalks to be "plowed" after a storm - but that just means
    half of the snow is blown aside. And I live in a pretty densely
    populated area, with lots of senior citizens (who frequently take the
    bus 1 block to get to the pharmacy in winter, due to the poorly
    maintained sidewalks).

    I'll have to see if the local high school track gets cleared in winter
    - though it seems about as boring as my Nordic Track.

  9. Thanks. I love the graphics!

    I was kind of hoping screw-shoes were a really good joke! They
    aren't, and I think they will work well for me. We don't get tons of
    snow - just enough so on many days there are stretches of dry pavement
    interspersed with very slick/treacherous sections. The gadgets along
    the line of yaktrax seem too bulky for running, and not practical for
    running in the mixed wet/dry conditions we have.

    With regard to the "Tools" section - when I run out of four-letter
    words, I simply switch to other languages! I've yet to exhaust them
    all...

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:18:56 GMT, "Doug Freese" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "SR" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    - I've found yaktrax to be helpful for walking and light hiking in
    winter - are there similar products which are helpful for running on
    icy snow? Has anyone used them and found them to be effective?
    - Are there techniques which will help me keep my footing in such
    conditions?

    http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm Works great!

    -DF

  10. SR said:

    I'm new to jogging this year, and would like to jog outside through
    the winter. My route takes me along sidewalks, paved roads and dirt
    trails in the woods - none of these are particularly well plowed in
    winter. Yesterday there were patches of ice on the ground, and I
    found it difficult to keep my footing and my pace.

    I'd appreciate any tips for keeping one's footing while running on
    snowy/icy ground.

    - Are there particular running shoes which are good for running in ice
    and light snow?

    Besides the screw shoes that Doug suggested, things to consider:

    Some tread patterns have better traction than others.
    Softer or grippier soles, like trail shoes for rocks, usually have
    better traction on ice. Same principle as winter tires.
    Some treads clean themselves better than others. Mine doesn't, which is
    why I use yaktrax under certain conditions.

    I only run trails (or roads with enough snow to be trail-like) now, but
    even my old road shoes were selected for tread pattern since a
    significant portion of my running is in snow and/or icy (now year round
    in Alaska, but used to be mostly winter). I've not tried the screw shoes
    since my trail shoes don't have enough even tread to be able to insert
    screws.

    Quoted message said:

    - I've found yaktrax to be helpful for walking and light hiking in
    winter - are there similar products which are helpful for running on
    icy snow? Has anyone used them and found them to be effective?

    I used the original yaktrax on hardpacked trails last year, and got the
    pro version this year, but the regular version works just fine (might
    tie some string across instep). The Pro version is heavier duty and has
    a velcro strap across the instep to keep them from coming off, which I
    had an occasional problem with last year. They work well in the right
    kind of snow, but obviously don't provide flotation for deeper snow.
    They aren't sharp enough to dig into hard ice, but aren't too bad for
    walking on the soft ice we've had recently (didn't try running).

    To walk on hard ice, I used ice-joggers or something like them - points
    will dig into ice that yaktrax won't penetrate. Spiked shoes might serve
    the same function. However, I've found that my stride is different or
    something so that running with ice-joggers on hard ice doesn't agree
    with my legs. But I haven't had the issue since switching to trails -
    since they seldom get black ice like roads. Some people have no problem,
    but I avoid those conditions.

    But to really get the most out of the snow, you need to take up snowshoe
    running 🙂 This substantially improved the quality of my winter
    workouts. They work best on about 3 inches or so of fresh snow, but you
    can still run with more - if you're willing to put out the effort. If
    the snow's about 1 ft deep and soggy, you can get a hard workout just by
    snowshoeing - no need to actually run with them (I have the hrm trace to
    prove it). They also work on hard-packed snow but they're noisy and not
    as much fun - hard landings. That's when I pull out the yaktrax.

    Running snowshoes are lighter than regular ones, but don't have the
    flotation. Mine weigh about a pound apiece. And they've got cleats on
    them to give great traction under most snowy conditions (may not dig
    into hard ice). Most people use running shoes with them.
    http://www.northernlites.com/
    NFI, but I use their elites.
    http://www.snowshoemag.com/
    has some general info, but I should be able to provide more specific links.

    It will be a harder workout than regular running esp if on over 3 inches
    of snow, so use some caution when starting to avoid overuse injuries. Go
    by time, not distance, and be willing to walk if needed rather than
    risking injury. But it's a lot of fun to kick up a rooster tail in fresh
    snow 🙂

    Snowshoe running is easy to learn, but if you're new to running, be
    careful not to overdo it as your muscles / tendons / ligaments are
    probably still adapting. On soft snow, the landing is very cushiony, but
    picking the feet up again is where you're more likely to overdo something.

    Quoted message said:

    - Are there techniques which will help me keep my footing in such
    conditions?

    Small steps. Keep CG (center of gravity) centered over feet.

    Enjoy!

    Dot
    Alaskan connoisseur of snow (and unfortunately ice)

    --
    "The eagle, who believed he was a chicken, wasn't. However, until he
    discovered what he was, he was limited to live as one."
    -Unknown but quoted from Lisa Butler on ultra list

  11. Boo hoo!

    (Seriously, in the past I've taken advantage of every possible excuse
    to not work out. This is the first year I'm consistently fighting the
    urge to be lazy, If I continue through this winter, it will be a real
    accomplishment. The one thing that can prevent me from reaching that
    goal is if I have to exercise indoors, in a gym or at home. It is
    too, too boring, and that is my weakness. Also, I can't seem to
    achieve the same level of workout with indoor exercise as I do
    outdoors.)

    (ProfWdesk1) said:

    Don't

  12. [email hidden] (SR) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm new to jogging this year, and would like to jog outside through
    the winter. My route takes me along sidewalks, paved roads and dirt
    trails in the woods - none of these are particularly well plowed in
    winter. Yesterday there were patches of ice on the ground, and I
    found it difficult to keep my footing and my pace.

    I'd appreciate any tips for keeping one's footing while running on
    snowy/icy ground.

    - Are there particular running shoes which are good for running in ice
    and light snow?
    - I've found yaktrax to be helpful for walking and light hiking in
    winter - are there similar products which are helpful for running on
    icy snow? Has anyone used them and found them to be effective?
    - Are there techniques which will help me keep my footing in such
    conditions?

    I'd really appreciate any advice, and I thank you in advance for your
    suggestions.

    I own some Montrail Hurricane Ridge Goretex trail shoes which work
    extremely well on snow and ice.

  13. "Doug Freese" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm Works great!

    Yes - the only problem is that you don´t really want to
    run any distance on sidewalks or paved roads when there
    isn´t enough snow or ice for the screws to bite in.

    Thin ice on a hard surface is a condition to which there´s
    no solution that I know of - other than a treadmill, that
    is...

    Anders

  14. "SR" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'll have to see if the local high school track gets cleared in winter

    I have yet to see a track cleared in winter in the NE. It's a big taboo
    to shovel, sand or salt the new track surfaces. You either take to the
    roads, try snow shoes or XC skiing. I run all winter with only a few
    days where conditions are too harsh or dangerous.

    Quoted message said:

    - though it seems about as boring as my Nordic Track.

    At least you get fresh air.

    -DF

  15. "Anders Lustig" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Doug Freese" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm Works great!

    Yes - the only problem is that you don´t really want to
    run any distance on sidewalks or paved roads when there
    isn´t enough snow or ice for the screws to bite in.

    Very true. Around here even if the roads are clear in some places the
    shoulders always have snow. A firend of mine talked me into a trail run
    last winter with my screws and I was amazed with the solid traction.
    Make no mistake I slid in some places but 98% of the time I was running
    comfortably. OTOH I know the risk potential and prefer the ugly roads
    to an injury.

    Quoted message said:

    Thin ice on a hard surface is a condition to which there´s
    no solution that I know of - other than a treadmill, that
    is...

    On pure ice you are correct but again, we usually get sand or salt on
    those conditions and the screws work just fine. I would not suggest a
    very long run on hard conditions or the screws will push back into your
    feet.

    -DF

  16. The problem with yaktrax is the don't stand up well to the pounding of
    running. If you don't want to go the screw route, you could go with
    something like these:

    http://www.ems.com/products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442583973

    Note that trail running in winter tends to be less icy than streets
    and sidewalks and you don't have as much melting and refreezing. You
    also don't have to worry about the dreaded black ice.

  17. [email hidden] (SR) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    I'd appreciate any tips for keeping one's footing while running on
    snowy/icy ground.

    - Are there particular running shoes which are good for running in ice
    and light snow?

    Not one particular shoe. But some folks take short sheet metal screws
    and screw them into the soles. I've never tried it.

    Quoted message said:

    - I've found yaktrax to be helpful for walking and light hiking in
    winter - are there similar products which are helpful for running on
    icy snow? Has anyone used them and found them to be effective?

    Not me.

    Quoted message said:

    - Are there techniques which will help me keep my footing in such
    conditions?

    Now this is probably the most useful part of the discussion. I've run
    in NYC all my running life and have learned to deal with it.

    Running on ice and snow is something that you can learn to get better
    at. First thing to do is look for tire tread marks in the ice/snow.
    You'll get better traction where the ice is not flat. If there are no
    tire tread marks then try to aim for places where the ice is bumpy or
    cracked.

    Next thing is to avoid turning on ice. Obvious. The proper technique
    is to keep as much as you can perpendicular to the ice surface. Come
    down on to the ice as flat as you can.

    Finally you have a better chance of avoiding ice by running in the
    late afternoon early evening. Give the ice a chance to melt or get run
    over by people/cars. In the morning when everything re-freezes you'll
    find the glaze tough to run on.

    And lastly keep an eye out for cars. It is amazing that drivers don't
    think ice will affect their driving.

    Hope this helps,
    Andy

  18. I've heard of people turing a old pair of runing shoes into "crampons" or
    "snow tires" by inserting tiny screws. I havent tried this myself. I'd be careful
    about penetrating the soles and hurting ones feet.
    Some Nepali porters make cheap crampons by wrapping a bit of knotted rope
    around their shoes.

    If its fresh powder, you might consider snow shoe running. I bought such
    when a four foot storm prevented outdoors running for a few days.
    The proper snowshoe selection is an art itself. You want pointed tails
    for not catching the snow. You probably should buy a weight rating higher
    than your actual weight, because the pounding of running pushes deeper into
    the snow.
    Snow shoe running is now a semi-organized sport with special equipment,
    races, and magazine articles.

  19. Quoted message said:

    The problem with yaktrax is the don't stand up well to the pounding of
    running. If you don't want to go the screw route, you could go with
    something like these:

    http://www.ems.com/products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524


    442583973

    Frankly I'm going to stay with the screw shoes. Why? Because I just like saying
    "screw shoes".

  20. These work great for me: http://www.icebugrunningshoes.com/pages/1/index.htm

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.