Tw00sh said:The tires I have now are 700 x 23. They are not very wide and accomadate about 130PSI. So my ride is pretty rough if the road is not smooth.
The 700 x 28 would be a good option if I can lower some of the PSI on them. I will look at seeing if I can possibly get these. Will these cause the ride to have more friction and slow me down?
I been told that the carbon fiber fork will lower some of the road vibration, this was the reason I was interested in getting one.
I am pretty comfortable on the bike right now. I place my hands on top of my bars though. I cannot learn over to the extreme of using the lower bars or triathlon bars. I thought the smaller lighter saddle would help me lower the weight alittle and If I can adjust it up slightly will keep me from sliding up the saddle.
With regard to tire PSI, several decades ago, 700x19/20 tires with necessarily high PSI became very popular as people went overboard trying to get the lightest clincher tire-and-tube on their bikes. I think that it is almost impossible to find 700x19 tires, now ...
As far as whether or not you will go as quickly with bigger tires ... probably not ... but, the reason is because you will be moving more MASS with the fatter tire-and-tube ...
BUT, if the ride is more comfortable, then you MAY ride more quickly ... "fatigue" can have a negative effect on how much energy you can put into your riding effort.
Because some tires & tubes weigh more than others, you want to choose tires that aren't too heavy without compromising durability ...
Most of my clinchers are Michelin ... but, I don't use any which are 700x28 ... yet!
With regard to Carbon Fiber forks ... if your fork is ALUMINUM, then you will notice a difference.
If you fork is STEEL, then you will probably NOT notice a difference, IMO, except in your wallet.
On my "test" bike, several years ago I replaced the steel fork (a good steel fork) with a good CF fork (LOOK). The perceptible ride on the bike did NOT change ... at least, not for me ... at any speed or on any type of roadway.
When I compared my steel framed "test" bike with my high-zoot Carbon Fiber bike on the same roadway (same main-triangle geometry, same components ... basically, only the frame was different), I again am not able to perceive any difference.
Now, I will say that the rear stays on the steel bike are incrementally longer than on the CF frame, so perhaps there was a small difference in road shock absorption of CF ... BUT, I think that it's easier to perceive differences through your hands than your butt; so, because there wasn't a perceptible difference when changing the fork from steel to CF, I will still say that you will only feel a difference if you have a really mediocre steel fork OR if you accept that the emperor's new clothes looks great.
BTW. The even MORE EXPENSIVE carbon fiber fork on my CF frame was no smoother than the LOOK carbon fiber fork.
As far as your saddle ... you should/may be able to adjust your existing saddle (up & down, foward & backward, tilted or not) ... until you dial-it-in, it is really can be a frustrating trial-and-error process. Besides, if you price the lighter saddles, you may experience sticker-shock ...
At some point in time, the cover on your saddle will wear out; and, at that time you can give more serious consideration to a new saddle.
You can raise-and-lower your handlebars, too, and affect the way your saddle 'feels' ...