Need Handlebar Advice

Joel

Guest
I have been using TTT Competizione bars for many years.
I like the gradual curve on the tops, but I am finding the drops are
too deep making it hard to ride in the drops especially while climbing.

So I am looking for some bars with a drop of 140mm or less.
I came up with Ritchey WCS Classic Road Bar and Ritchey Biomax II

The WCS Classic Road bar seems to look similar to my TTT with the
gradual bend on top.
The Biomax are intriguing and I have read good reviews about them, but
they have a sharper bend and the top actually angles back 6 degrees
which is quite different from what I have now.
Any comments on these bars or other shallow drop bars would be
appreciated.

Thanks - Joel

I have a pair of Ritchie Biomax comps on my single speed and find them
pretty darn good. the slight angle back is welcome and the drops are
slightly flared. I like that the area in front of the brake hood is
horizontal so you can ride there without slipping. The drops are mixed.
Because of the "ergo bump" the security of grip is incredible, but I do
miss the long flat that bars like the Nitto Noodle have for long pulls
into the wind.

Here's a couple pics in case you haven't been able to see them in
person:

http://static.flickr.com/42/85780956_94f1edd817.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/52/128068408_51e379311d_o.jpg

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Joel" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have been using TTT Competizione bars for many years.
> I like the gradual curve on the tops, but I am finding the drops are
> too deep making it hard to ride in the drops especially while climbing.
>
> So I am looking for some bars with a drop of 140mm or less.
> I came up with Ritchey WCS Classic Road Bar and Ritchey Biomax II
>
> The WCS Classic Road bar seems to look similar to my TTT with the
> gradual bend on top.
> The Biomax are intriguing and I have read good reviews about them, but
> they have a sharper bend and the top actually angles back 6 degrees
> which is quite different from what I have now.
> Any comments on these bars or other shallow drop bars would be
> appreciated.

Have you always been uncomfortable in the drops? What
happens when you stay in the drops? What happens when you
raise the bars?

--
Michael Press

> Have you always been uncomfortable in the drops? What
> happens when you stay in the drops? What happens when you
> raise the bars?

I tend to only use the drops when I have to, like trying to stay in a
pack and riding into a head wind. I used to use the drops for climbing
on ocassion ala pantani.
I guess it never was comfortable. Can't raise the bars without changing
to a different stem.

Joel

> --
> Michael Press

Cool bike. I have a commuter bike I would change to single speed except
I have too many hills to ride up.

Joel

Joel wrote:
> I have been using TTT Competizione bars for many years.
> I like the gradual curve on the tops, but I am finding the drops are
> too deep making it hard to ride in the drops especially while climbing.
>
> So I am looking for some bars with a drop of 140mm or less.
> I came up with Ritchey WCS Classic Road Bar and Ritchey Biomax II
>
> The WCS Classic Road bar seems to look similar to my TTT with the
> gradual bend on top.
> The Biomax are intriguing and I have read good reviews about them, but
> they have a sharper bend and the top actually angles back 6 degrees
> which is quite different from what I have now.
> Any comments on these bars or other shallow drop bars would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks - Joel

TTT Morphe. Drop is 140mm, according to my 2000 QBP catalog, nice
because you can actually ride comfortably for miles and miles in the
drops. The anatomic shape in the drops fits my hands perfectly.
Medium to long reach, nice to get the hoods out there. Fairly long
flat section before the hoods, blends wonderfully into Ergo levers.
Tops bend back a little bit, nice because when I am on the tops I want
them close so I can sit upright. I have TTT Morphe bars on all three
road bikes. Just built the latest one up this spring. Had to search
awhile to find my beloved TTT Morphe bars.

This is where I bought the TTT Morphe bars recently.
http://www.gottaridebikes.com/