Need help for swimmer

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Donald Graft, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. Donald Graft

    Donald Graft Guest

    One of my 13-year-old swimmers has great talent and natural speed. But he has a screw breastroke
    kick that I am having little success in correcting. He can kick breaststroke correctly on his back,
    but when we go to the stomach, he falls back into his grooved screw kick (which of course is illegal
    and will get him disqualified).

    Can anyone suggest how we might solve this problem? Thank you.

    Don

    Tags:

  2. De Valois

    De Valois Guest

    Donald Graft left this mess on Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:09:16 GMT for The Way to
    clean up:

    >One of my 13-year-old swimmers has great talent and natural speed. But he has a screw breastroke
    >kick that I am having little success in correcting. He can kick breaststroke correctly on his back,
    >but when we go to the stomach, he falls back into his grooved screw kick (which of course is
    >illegal and will get him disqualified).
    >
    >Can anyone suggest how we might solve this problem? Thank you.

    What drills are you doing with him, Don, to correct this? That might give us clues to the problem.

    Tao te Carl "It takes a village to have an idiot." - Carl (c) 2003

    (Kudos to Cap'n Jim Wyatt for this link) BEFORE you ask a dumb-ass question
    here...http://www.speakeasy.org/~neilco/bart.gif

  3. Here's my suggestions:

    1. Film him swimming to give him some bio-feedback on what he is doing correctly and incorrectly.

    2. Make sure he keeps both legs behind him (not as silly as this sounds) and imagines his legs in a
    "space" behind him that's a little narrower than he thinks it should be. That makes sure he
    pushes the water backwards with his feet instead of out and sideways.

    3. Practice it on a kickboard both in backstroke and breastroke positions.

    4. Kick drill without a board: stroke, kick, kick; stroke, kick, kick...and so on.

    5. Keep the butt up.

    Look for any books by Rowdy Gaines. One of the best breastrokers ever.

    Good luck!

    Kind Regards, Nathaniel
    --
    flikWORLD Design reply to: nat at flikworld(dot)com

    in article [email protected], de Valois at [email protected] wrote on
    12/22/03 8:56 AM:

    > Donald Graft left this mess on Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:09:16 GMT for The Way to clean up:
    >>
    >> One of my 13-year-old swimmers has great talent and natural speed. But he has a screw breastroke
    >> kick that I am having little success in correcting. He can kick breaststroke correctly on his
    >> back, but when we go to the stomach, he falls back into his grooved screw kick (which of course
    >> is illegal and will get him disqualified).
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest how we might solve this problem? Thank you.
    >>

    > What drills are you doing with him, Don, to correct this? That might give us clues to the problem.
    >
    > Tao te Carl "It takes a village to have an idiot." - Carl (c) 2003
    >
    > (Kudos to Cap'n Jim Wyatt for this link) BEFORE you ask a dumb-ass question
    > here...http://www.speakeasy.org/~neilco/bart.gif

  4. allez voir ceci
    http://cbesnou.free.fr/

    --
    Martin [email protected]
    Té 667-1948

    "Donald Graft" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:[email protected]_s51...
    > One of my 13-year-old swimmers has great talent and natural speed. But he has a screw breastroke
    > kick that I am having little success in correcting. He can kick breaststroke correctly on his
    > back, but when we go to the stomach, he falls back into his grooved screw kick (which of course is
    > illegal and will get him disqualified).
    >
    > Can anyone suggest how we might solve this problem? Thank you.
    >
    > Don

  5. Al

    Al Guest

    In article <[email protected]_s51>, [email protected] says...
    > One of my 13-year-old swimmers has great talent and natural speed. But he has a screw breastroke
    > kick that I am having little success in correcting. He can kick breaststroke correctly on his
    > back, but when we go to the stomach, he falls back into his grooved screw kick (which of course is
    > illegal and will get him disqualified).
    >
    > Can anyone suggest how we might solve this problem? Thank you.
    >
    > Don

    It might help to get him on dry land and use your hand to act as the water in terms of where he
    should be feeling most of the back pressure. Sometimes once kids get an idea of how the resistance
    should feel they're able to quickly duplicate the feeling in the water with a little trial and
    error... hopefully resulting in a technique closer to what you have in mind.

    - Al

  6. Donald Graft

    Donald Graft Guest

    "Al" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > It might help to get him on dry land and use your hand to act as the water in terms of where he
    > should be feeling most of the back pressure. Sometimes once kids get an idea of how the resistance
    > should feel they're able to quickly duplicate the feeling in the water with a little trial and
    > error... hopefully resulting in a technique closer to what you have in mind.

    Thank you for your response. The boy can go through the correct movements on land and on his back,
    but when he goes to the stomach, his ingrained screw kick just happens. I am now going to try
    variants of the drill where you hold your hands back and touch the feet with the fingertips, just to
    try to get him into new neural pathways. To my mind, he should be able to fix this himself, since he
    does understand the problem. I'm wondering if he has ulterior motives. :)

    Don

  7. Sean

    Sean Guest

    Don can I send you some mpegs?....I still have your "neuron***" address from a couple of years ago
    and tried to send you jpg sample but not sure if I am being intentionally ignored, anti-spammed, or
    whatever the explanation is? Regards Sean.

  8. Donald Graft

    Donald Graft Guest

    "sean" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Don can I send you some mpegs?....I still have your "neuron***" address from a couple of years ago
    > and tried to send you jpg sample but not sure if I am being intentionally ignored, anti-spammed,
    > or whatever the explanation is? Regards Sean.

    Hi Sean,

    I have a mail filter that automatically deletes mails with large attachments. To get them through,
    you have to put the word MAGIC (in upper case) somewhere in the subject line. :)

    Instead of mailing them to me, would it be possible to make them available via FTP? If not, I can
    give you a place to FTP them.

    Please continue this via email. I am at [email protected]

    thank you, Don