Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Need help: polishing raw aluminum frame

Started by Vintage · · Last activity · 8 posts · 4,566 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
22 June 2003
Last activity
23 June 2003
Original author
Vintage
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,566
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I heard there is a special compound sold on the market to high polish aluminum frame with a rag
    (almost like waxing a car). Anybody knows what kind of product and where to buy? Thanks for
    your time.

  2. "vintage" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I heard there is a special compound sold on the market to high polish aluminum frame with a rag
    (almost like waxing a car). Anybody knows what kind of product and where to buy? Thanks for
    your time.

    I wonder if you are referring to the product 'Never-Dull' nevrdull.comnevrdull.com cotton wadding
    that polishes aluminum like nothing else I've seen. I used to use it when I was in the motorcycle
    business and 'restoring' British bikes from the '50's and '60's. We used it on the aluminum engine
    cases to bring them up to a high sheen. It also works very well on chrome.

  3. vintage said:

    I heard there is a special compound sold on the market to high polish aluminum frame with a rag
    (almost like waxing a car). Anybody knows what kind of product and where to buy? Thanks for
    your time.


    perhaps you're talking about "FLITZ"

  4. vintage said:

    I heard there is a special compound sold on the market to high polish aluminum frame with a rag
    (almost like waxing a car). Anybody knows what kind of product and where to buy? Thanks for
    your time.

    I've used Mothers Mag wheel polish with some success. It's available at auto supply stores.

    Marcus

  5. Never dull works wonders I polished a friends bike with it and it looked brand new got to try it .
    PS it work very easy to .

    --
    J/O Trailblazer At large !!

  6. I'm sure many have suggested this already, but there's a product that I learned about in the Air
    Farce called "Nevr-Dull" (correct spelling) that works wonders on just about any metal. It requires
    a bit of elbow grease, though.

    May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

    Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": geocities.comczcorner

  7. "vintage" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I heard there is a special compound sold on the market to high polish aluminum frame with a rag
    (almost like waxing a car). Anybody knows what kind of product and where to buy?

    Simichrome, available at bicycle and motorcycle shops.

    --
    Andrew Muzi yellowjersey.orgyellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

  8. (vintage) said:

    I heard there is a special compound sold on the market to high polish aluminum frame with a rag
    (almost like waxing a car). Anybody knows what kind of product and where to buy? Thanks for
    your time.

    The polishes mentioned by above posters are all efective on bare aluminum; however, most aluminum
    components are clear anodized aand this harder layer must be chemically removed before polishing
    will be effective. Furthermore, aluminum bike frames that have been removed from production before
    painting are likely to have been surface-prepared with an etchant. The resulting surface provides
    for good paint adhesion, but also must be removed before a polished surface can be exposed.

    Chalo Colina

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.