Need help w/ buying decision è HED3 vs Jet60

BillBB

Nov 18, 2005
Which one is better for time trials ?

As I understand it, Pros and Cons are:

I heard that the H3 has a tendency for the trueing to go wrong,

and if it does go wrong it cannot be fixed.. ? Jet 60 can be trued, if necessary.

Jet 60 is cheaper, $450 vs $600 for H3.

I understand they are similar areodynamics with no wind conditions and that they

can save between 5 to 10 secs. in a10 mile TT.

In yesterday’s OLN show of the Tour of Suisse (Ulrich kicked ass..), most riders

had a 60mm front wheel on their bikes.

Comments from somebody more knowledgeable than me are most welcome.

By the way, the TT’s I do are completely flet and mostly very little to no wind.

Txs.

Front Hed 3 will be true or not true out of the box. It will not change unless you crash it. The rear may have a bit of play due to some fun with cassettes but otherwise the same will be true.

Some folks claim the Hed 3's are a bit flexy for them. I am using an old specialized in the rear and I think it moves a a bit more than a spoked wheel would, but no issues in the front, all anecdotal.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/wheel/index.htm

If you really only do flat and not very windy TT's, you should consider the Hed 90 for the front.

Fair warning, in windy conditions (depends on your comfort level) or with less rider weight, even a Hed 60 or Hed 3 is a handful when on TT bars.

I have several H3's, right now I wish I had Hed 90's and 60's, but I get most of this stuff of EBay and H3's were a bit easier to get.

The stingers are much better than the jets-stiffer and lighter. The 3's are more aero than the 60,s though, but flexier. The 90,s are more affected by sidewinds than both though. If you are light use the 3 spoke front and back. if you are heavy use a stinger 60 front and 90 rear.