Need help with front racing wheel and brake

BillX

Guest
Problem is with a 2300 Trek from 2003 with Ultegra components. The
frame is aluminum but the front fork is carbon. The wheels are
Bontrager Race. The front wheel is frequently taken on and off.

The front wheel hub came loose so I got a couple of 17mm wrenches and
tightened it back up. There didn't seem to be any locknuts, just a
silver grooved ring/washer on both sides to grip the fork. Anyone
familiar with this wheel know if it should have locknuts?

The front brake was out of alignment so I tried adjusting the centering
alan screw after tightening the wheel hub but that didn't seem to do
much. I mucked with the other alan screw that tightens the arms
together and made a little progress but still not centered correctly.

After all the adjustments when I put weight on one side of the
handlebars (either side) I can feel a little give that tells me
something is still not adjusted correctly. First guess is the hub is
not as tight as it needs to be.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong (other than trying to service the bike
myself<g>)?

One other thing to add. Two weeks ago I spun out on a corner and
landed under the bike. At that time there was no appearance of damage.
When I seat the wheel in the fork there's a little space (<1/8 inch)
before I close the quick release. I don't know if that's normal.

I welcome any constructive advice.

Thanks for reading, Bill

BillX wrote:
> Problem is with a 2300 Trek from 2003 with Ultegra components. The
> frame is aluminum but the front fork is carbon. The wheels are
> Bontrager Race. The front wheel is frequently taken on and off.
>
> The front wheel hub came loose so I got a couple of 17mm wrenches and
> tightened it back up. There didn't seem to be any locknuts, just a
> silver grooved ring/washer on both sides to grip the fork. Anyone
> familiar with this wheel know if it should have locknuts?

No locknuts, just the 17mm flats. Sounds like the axle flats on both
sides are not tight. Put one side in an axle vise, turn the 17mm
flatted end until the play is gone.

> Anyone know what I'm doing wrong (other than trying to service the bike
> myself<g>)?
>

> I welcome any constructive advice.
>
> Thanks for reading, Bill

I got my hub tightened and brakes aligned in time for Sunday's race
following your advice. Thanks!

-Bill