Cycling Training · Public discussion

Need to improve my climbing

Started by fun2night4us · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,080 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
10 August 2004
Last activity
11 August 2004
Original author
fun2night4us
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,080
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am just coming back into cycling after about 18 months off from an achillies injury. The injury is fully recovered and now I can not climb even the smallest of hills. Right now my weekly milage is not that high about 150 miles (240km) per week, which consist of a long ride of 40 miles (65km). I do my shorter rides at an intense pace, for me. How is the most effective way of overcoming this weakness and being able to climb hills again? Any suggestions?
    Dave

  2. This is a little confusing as you state you're fully recovered, riding many miles a week but can't climb as effectively as before. Is this because climbing antagonises your achilles injury or is it simply a result of a layoff from the hills? I'm assuming here it must be the layoff.
    In my opinion, the best way to climb is to vary the scope of the hills you tackle. There are very long yet very shallow climbs that are great for stamina. There are fairly steep, rolling hills you can do in higher gears standing up and sprinting. There are very steep 25 per cent monsters you do for leg-strength (or high-velocity revs if you're a spinner).
    I try to throw all of these in at intervals. I don't think climbing more shallow hills in higher gears is the same as climbing a very steep ascent in the lowest gears. Each are a little different so a climbing regime ought to reflect this (a bit like bodybuilders who do high reps and low reps for variety and balance)
    If you're worried about your injury try starting off on shallow climbs till you feel more confident. Really I guess it's just a matter of regaining your climbing skills and keeping an eye on your achilles. Hope this helps.

    fun2night4us said:

    I am just coming back into cycling after about 18 months off from an achillies injury. The injury is fully recovered and now I can not climb even the smallest of hills. Right now my weekly milage is not that high about 150 miles (240km) per week, which consist of a long ride of 40 miles (65km). I do my shorter rides at an intense pace, for me. How is the most effective way of overcoming this weakness and being able to climb hills again? Any suggestions?
    Dave

  3. fun2night4us said:

    I am just coming back into cycling after about 18 months off from an achillies injury. The injury is fully recovered and now I can not climb even the smallest of hills. Right now my weekly milage is not that high about 150 miles (240km) per week, which consist of a long ride of 40 miles (65km). I do my shorter rides at an intense pace, for me. How is the most effective way of overcoming this weakness and being able to climb hills again? Any suggestions?
    Dave

    There are no secrets here: to be better at climbing, you simply must climb more, improve your power to weight ratio (either through an increase in fitness/sustainable power output or a loss of weight without a subsequent loss in power production) and improve your endurance at a power output at intensities equivelant to a 30-60min ITT. If the hills you are seeking to improve upon are relatively short (eg: 3-5min to climb), then you can slowly build your intensity as your fitness improves to more powerful efforts associated with shorter hills.
    18 months is more than enough time to undergo systemic, structural detraining. It may take longer to get your old fitness back than you think, be patient (for the sake of your achilles too).
    You did not mention any changes in weight do to your inactivity, but altering your weight is the easiest way to effect your climbing ability, positively and negatively.
    Various cadences can be used to develop differenct aspects of fitness, but biomechanically optimal pedaling for submaximal intensities is 85-95rpm, on the flats or on the hills; gears that allow you to pedal in this range should always be used for the majority of your time spent climbing.

  4. Carrera said:

    This is a little confusing as you state you're fully recovered, riding many miles a week but can't climb as effectively as before. Is this because climbing antagonises your achilles injury or is it simply a result of a layoff from the hills? I'm assuming here it must be the layoff.
    In my opinion, the best way to climb is to vary the scope of the hills you tackle. There are very long yet very shallow climbs that are great for stamina. There are fairly steep, rolling hills you can do in higher gears standing up and sprinting. There are very steep 25 per cent monsters you do for leg-strength (or high-velocity revs if you're a spinner).
    I try to throw all of these in at intervals. I don't think climbing more shallow hills in higher gears is the same as climbing a very steep ascent in the lowest gears. Each are a little different so a climbing regime ought to reflect this (a bit like bodybuilders who do high reps and low reps for variety and balance)
    If you're worried about your injury try starting off on shallow climbs till you feel more confident. Really I guess it's just a matter of regaining your climbing skills and keeping an eye on your achilles. Hope this helps.

    Thanks, yeah my achillies I would say is now at 100%. I can't climb due to the long layoff but I did not expect it to be this hard and unbearable. I did gain 40 or so pounds while i was inactive but have lost 1/2 of it already and still not seeing a substantial improvement in my hill riding. I will keep working one it though...I hope the never surrender attitude pays off.
    Should i cut my hill days down from 3 or 4 a week? I normally only attack the hill once a week 2 times if I am feeling it. The other 2 or 3 days are just to add some resistance to the ride.

  5. I don't really know whether I'm a good climber myself or very average. What I do know for sure is I love to climb. I think the reason behind this is I like to feel I'm working up a sweat and improving power and fitness and I think climbing is the best way to get into shape.
    Therefore, the most important thing you need is motivation and determination - more important than muscle to get up a hill, I think.
    The best advice I can give you is select long and shallow hills. The best ones are slight inclines that go on for ages as these are terrific for building stamina and you'll drop a few pounds in weight over time.
    I think 3 times a week to climb is ample as you don't want to risk getting injured again. For the other rides, go for a long run at relaxed intensity to aid weight loss but don't expect to drop weight just like that.
    Other folks might have their own technique but the way I like to climb is standing up, driving from the hip and putting your weight on the downstroke. I find it more comfortable to grab the hoods of the gear shifters for extra height.
    In time, you should eventually be able to get to that stage when you can sprint up a hill. Another good sign is when you can climb a big stretch and instantly change gear at the top and pick up speed rapidly on the flat. I couldn't do that initially but instead I'd be gasping and wheezing at the top and would have to stay in my low gears till I could get my breath back. Once I got off my bike and fell over a hedge as I was totally knackered.

    fun2night4us said:

    Thanks, yeah my achillies I would say is now at 100%. I can't climb due to the long layoff but I did not expect it to be this hard and unbearable. I did gain 40 or so pounds while i was inactive but have lost 1/2 of it already and still not seeing a substantial improvement in my hill riding. I will keep working one it though...I hope the never surrender attitude pays off.
    Should i cut my hill days down from 3 or 4 a week? I normally only attack the hill once a week 2 times if I am feeling it. The other 2 or 3 days are just to add some resistance to the ride.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.