Neuvation Wheels, R28 SL3 review.

bighead_9901

Oct 16, 2006
I just purchased these wheels two weeks ago because I broke a spoke on my Reynolds so I decided to get these as a set of backup/training wheels. Initially I looked on this site and found conflicting opinions about Neuvation but with some further research and correspondence with a couple folks I decided to give them a try.
I have ridden them for two weeks for 270 miles and I have to say that I have been impressed. I was wondering about the stiffness as this was one of the complaints I saw on this site but it was also about an older model. Neuvation states that the new model the SL3 has a few improvements and one was to improve the stiffness of the wheel. I'm 200lbs and have been an avid weightlifter for over ten years. So far the wheels have been very stiff and I haven't felt any give even when I'm out of the saddle hammering on a hard hill.

As far as weight on Neuvation's website they list the wheels at 1540 grams and when I weighed mine I was pleased to have them weigh in a little less at 1525 grams. This is comparable with wheels that cost $800 or more.

The stickers suck:mad: and the wheels come with four Neuvation stickers along with four model stickers on each side. After removing all the model stickers and half the Neuvation stickers the wheels look pretty nice. Removing the stickers was also huge pain in the butt.

Once I received them I also had my LBS take a look at them and they were impressed not only with the wheels themselves but that they should also be very easy to work on when the time comes.

I definately like these wheels and I think they are a great deal at the price. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

bighead_9901 said:
I was wondering about the stiffness as this was one of the complaints I saw on this site but it was also about an older model. Neuvation states that the new model the SL3 has a few improvements and one was to improve the stiffness of the wheel. I'm 200lbs and have been an avid weightlifter for over ten years. So far the wheels have been very stiff and I haven't felt any give even when I'm out of the saddle hammering on a hard hill.

The reviews here have been more around the 28 aeros which have a lower spoke count. The 28SL's are 20/24, though are still 1x front and rear, which if they laced them 2x or used a rear hub with a wider flange would be better.

FWIW mine were fine in a straight line including climbing out of the saddle. Race a tight crit on them and there was enough deflection in the rear while cornering that I would be hitting the brake blocks.

It'll be interesting to see if they have worked on the durability of them at all. My rear freehub chewed enough that it needed fairly heavy filing after around 1000km (as reported by others also) and I had issues with spokes after the honeymoon period.

--brett

I have done around 2000 km on my SLs (they still send the superceded model to the 3rd world, ie Australia!) with no problems. I have not changed the cassette, so I may be in for a nasty surprise with the freehub when I do. For the price, I am very happy with them.

Regarding the stickers - yes, they are just too much! I took 3 x big and 2 x small stickers off each side of each wheel (ie gone from 32 to 12). It's a messy job, but some citrus based cleaner helped get rid of the glue residue. I only found the removal hints the web site much later :mad::

http://www.neuvationcycling.com/maintenance/technical_tips.html