New bike advice?

masi rider

Aug 1, 2007
I posted a week ago about thoughts on Scott bikes, and got nothing in reply. So I went to ALL of my LBS' and spoke with anyone who would listen and give their thoughts. So far all but 1 said not to go with Trek(and most of these ppl sell Trek), but go with Specialized or Cervelo instead. I like them both, a lot, but I am still curious about the Scott CR1 Pro, I like the look and the feel. Another problem is, the lbs that sells Scott, I don't really care for. I like the LBS that sells Specialized and Cervelo. Any thoughts?:confused:

I know nothing about your fitness level, weight, riding style and type of riding you do. Having said that, you will not go wrong with a CR1, which is a very nice, very light performance racing machine (if that is what you are looking for).

Then again, so are Cervelos (which tend not to be known for being comfortable).

Hope that helps.

N.B. I would not give my hard earned Euros (or dollars, in your case) to a LBS that I do not enjoy spending time in...

scott bikes always look very nice to me....but probably out of my price range.

I like the specialized allez that I purchased, even though its low-end it is comfortable and quick. if i lost the 40 pounds i need to, it would be quicker yet! :D (working on it)

cervelo are good, but are geared more towards racing i believe. dont know much about them.

go ride a bike. thats really the only way you know if your going to like it!

The CR1 Pro is a good bike. If you like it, and especially if you like the feel of it, then that's all it would take to sell me on it. If you buy something else that doesn't have as good of a fit or feel as the Scott does you're going to be thinking about that every time you're on it.

If you don't like the LBS, how about mail order? You might find a better deal shopping around online, and if the seller is out of state you stand to save hundreds in sales tax.

Powerful Pete said:
I know nothing about your fitness level, weight, riding style and type of riding you do. Having said that, you will not go wrong with a CR1, which is a very nice, very light performance racing machine (if that is what you are looking for).

Then again, so are Cervelos (which tend not to be known for being comfortable).

Hope that helps.

N.B. I would not give my hard earned Euros (or dollars, in your case) to a LBS that I do not enjoy spending time in...
this is my first season with a road bike, 17 years with mtb, i'm doing 20 miles a day now and longer on w-ends, ave speed is around 15mph. I started to do climbs, but my Masi seems to heavy(23pds) compaired to carbon(16pds). Pulling that extra 7 pds up hills is a lot. I also want more response when i start to hammer the pedals. I am probably not going to race anytime soon, but i want to feel i am getting the most out of my efforts. So far I am at a Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL Dura-Ace, Cervelo R3-SL DuraAce, or a Scott CR1 Pro CD. I am really leaning towards the Cervelo.

My AL & CF Cervelo Soloist Teams don't seem uncomfortable. And an 11 lb difference in bike weight didn't affect my top speeds too much : 2004.5 Giant OCR 1 with 2 panniers 29 lbs top speed 29.8 mph ; 2002 Giant TCR Aero 2 18 lbs 30.2 mph top speed.

Try the roadbike reviews site. I geuss pay attention to the type of rider/riding people are doing in the review. don't be put off by all bad reviews sometimes people purchase the wrong bike for their needs and there may be nothing wrong with the bike. make sure the bike suits your style of riding.

I think I made a decision, I am not going to buy a new bike. Over the winter i am going to put on a new crankset and cassette. I'm thinking Dura Ace 7800! I like my bike and instead of spending $5,500(US), which I really don't have to begin with, I'm gonna hunt down the best deal on Dura Ace 7800. How's that sound?

masi rider said:
I think I made a decision, I am not going to buy a new bike. Over the winter i am going to put on a new crankset and cassette. I'm thinking Dura Ace 7800! I like my bike and instead of spending $5,500(US), which I really don't have to begin with, I'm gonna hunt down the best deal on Dura Ace 7800. How's that sound?
not bad, I have a specialized, and love it, its got ultegras on it, ya ever think of using those?

Cycler6n said:
not bad, I have a specialized, and love it, its got ultegras on it, ya ever think of using those?
Yes, but since i was planning on spending over $5000(US) I figure might as well go the the best since it will be about $4000(US) cheaper. What kind of Specialized do you have?

masi rider said:
this is my first season with a road bike, 17 years with mtb, i'm doing 20 miles a day now and longer on w-ends, ave speed is around 15mph. I started to do climbs, but my Masi seems to heavy(23pds) compaired to carbon(16pds). Pulling that extra 7 pds up hills is a lot. I also want more response when i start to hammer the pedals. I am probably not going to race anytime soon, but i want to feel i am getting the most out of my efforts. So far I am at a Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL Dura-Ace, Cervelo R3-SL DuraAce, or a Scott CR1 Pro CD. I am really leaning towards the Cervelo.
IMO, you will be much better off having the rear dropouts of your MASI respaced to 130mm ... easy to do, yourself, but some LBSes can do it (be sure they have done it before!) ... the rear derailleur hanger needs to be realigned to facilitate indexed shifting, and THAT is something the LBS should be capable of ...

And then, refitting your MASI with a CAMPAGNOLO CHORUS (or, RECORD ... if your budget/spouse allows it) group ...

The new wheelset (you can have your current rims laced to the new hubs) will be significantly (and perhaps, surprisingly) lighter ... even if you are currently using sew-ups on an older, NR hubset -- remember, it is the dynamic weight that matters more than the overall weight of the bike/rider.

Shimano components (which I generally love, except for their shifters ... and, yes, I sold my 6603 shifters for those who might be wondering) if you must.

just left one of my LBS', after talking with the owner, he told me not to upgrade my masi, buy a new one, i would spend the same amout. he told me because of my size,5'8" 215lbs to go withthe Giant OCR AO, http://www.giant-bicycle.com/en-US/bikes/road/1242/29266/An 2008, for $1700(US), Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. He ordered it for the show room and for me to tst ride. If i like it, maybe buy it over the winter.

All new dura ace or ultegra components would run $900 - $1400(US) for my Masi, instead take $1200 and sell my Masi for $500 and im on a new bike.

Any thoughts?

masi rider said:
just left one of my LBS', after talking with the owner, he told me not to upgrade my masi, buy a new one, i would spend the same amout. he told me because of my size,5'8" 215lbs to go withthe Giant OCR AO, http://www.giant-bicycle.com/en-US/bikes/road/1242/29266/An 2008, for $1700(US), Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. He ordered it for the show room and for me to tst ride. If i like it, maybe buy it over the winter.

All new dura ace or ultegra components would run $900 - $1400(US) for my Masi, instead take $1200 and sell my Masi for $500 and im on a new bike.

Any thoughts?
I guess it all depends on your Masi frame, doesn't it?

I reckon it cost about $700 to update my 80s vintage OLMO (see attached pic). I could have spent more ... I could have spent less. At the time, changing the fork, stem & bars were for purely cosmetic reason AND did not change the ride.

The brake calipers, etc. did not need to be changed, either!

Only updating with new shifters, hubs/cassette, derailleurs, etc. (+ labor, if you have someone else do the work) won't cost as much ...

BTW. Although your MASI is Italian in-name-only, I think you will be happier if you adorn it with mostly Campy components.

BTW2. PBK currently has Ultegra groups for about $650+ (on sale), I think; and, DA for about $1050+ (also, on sale ... the NEW, 2008 will be announced/"available" in another month-or-so).

I am also looking to change my bike. I have a Trek 2300 (maybe 10 years old), with a combination of 105 and 600 gear - 8 speed.

There are so many choices available that I am having trouble deciding what I even want to look at, and then when I check out these forums, there is still no one dominant opinion.

I'm thinking that's because all decent quality road bikes are pretty much the same, and it doesn't matter what you get, as long as you perceive it to be good. For me, I'm going to look at Cannondale SystemSix and some Specialized, and then make a choice.

You can start off with an entry level bike and work your way into a better bike. Thats what I did. It's all about your OWN personal experience, not what the LBS says.