New Bike for paved trails

TonyBar3

Aug 17, 2005
Hey all,

I don't know squat about biking. I can ride a bike, that's my knowledge base. I'm interested in riding on road, paved trails, and dirt trails, and am looking to ride for endurance. I'd start out by riding about 2 hours a day if I can, I have no idea what my physical limitations are now a days, I haven't rode a bike in 10 years.

Anyway, my price range is up to $300, I'm 5'5", 160lbs. My inseam on pants is about 30in, but from the top of my femur to the floot is 32in. I don't know if any of this info is pertinant, but I'd rather give you too much info than not enough.

I do plan on keeping this up as I'll be using it for my main mode of transpotation after I can ride 5 miles no problem (probably from the start, I'd hope anyway).

I'll also be doing my shopping in a german city, so any knowledge of brands they carry over here would be good. There is a place on base that has some Schwinns and some Treks, but the Treks were all over $300 and the wife won't have it. I couldn't tell what model the Schwinns were, but they retailed for over $300, and sold for $249. The were silver with red and black paint, and 26 in (too tall for me, I believe). Kind of looked like the Sierra Sport, but according to the website those only go up to 19 inches.

Thanks in advance.

When you say the bike was 26" it probably is refering to the wheels. Thats the standard on most comfort and trail bikes. Go to a Bike shop and let them show you the differences between road bikes, touring bikes, hybrids or cross trainers and mountain bikes. The biggest issues with size are that you can clear the top bar standing flat footed by at least a couple of inches and that you can adjust the seat to get almost a full leg extension with the pedal all the way down. Buy as much bike as you can afford. You'll find the price increases go into better componants.

I am purchasing a bike in india for exactly the same budget. It's not great but we don't have much choices here. I'll buy a bike from there when i visit Europe next. This bike which i am getting is $300. Here is the link if you wanna have a look: firefoxbikes.com/ffx/bikes/allterrain/viper/

I am sure you get much better bikes out there. As a newbie buy I looked for 2 things, which i am sure are the only things that you should think while making a purchase. I looked for the weight of the bike and the breaking system it has. Disc brakes are apparently little better. I really wish i could help you, however, I think i'll follow up with you and see what you end up buying. Might be a learning experience for me.

cheers,
Shalin Jain
www.shalinjain.com