Health Nutrition and Supplements · Public discussion

New bike = pain?

Started by BikeMe · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,688 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Health Nutrition and Supplements
Published
27 April 2004
Last activity
13 May 2004
Original author
BikeMe
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,688
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey all,

    So recently I aquired a new road bike (a GT ZR1000 to be exact). I used to ride a hybrid, and decided it was time for me to upgrade. Yesterday my buddy and I went riding (this being my first time on the GT), and after about 6 miles I started feeling a pain in the middle of my chest. It would go away, come back, etc. It didn't effect me enough to make me stop, so we ended up riding about 50 miles total. After I got home, I was completely fine, though exhausted.

    Then I woke up the next morning.

    Now, I can't do anything without hurting my chest, throat, and upper back. Swallowing, breathing, moving, it doesn't matter. It's also harder for me to breathe, like i'm breathing in very humid/foggy air. I took some pain killers which helped a little, but it's still obviously there.

    Has anyone else experienced this before? I've already been to the doc. once for chest pain I had been experiencing (prognosis - strong heart and healthy lungs).

    Thanks a bunch!

  2. I would get back to a doctor and have him check for respiratory function and scan of your respiratory system.I am no doctor but that sounds like Pneumonia. There are different types that affect you in different ways.

  3. I'm in the medical field and I have never heard of something like that happening unless someone was becoming ill. Like jhuskey said search for medical advise.

  4. "NOW, I CAN'T DO ANYTHING WITHOUT HURTING MY CHEST, THROAT, AND UPPER BACK. SWALLOWING, BREATHING, MOVING, IT DOESN'T MATTER."

    For the chest it could be a stressed diaphragm.

    I had one once and for about a week it hurt if I took even a half-deep breath, couldn't laugh, or tumble-turn in the pool.

    Otherwise - it'll be some of the other muscles around the ribs.

    I'm thinking your setup must be causing you to put too much strain on the top half of your body.

    This is resulting in you locking your neck, shoulder and upper back/torso muscles.

    When cycling, all of these muscles should be as relaxed as possible, unless out of the saddle - sprinting/climbing.

    The delayed 'pain/stiffness' is, for example, like when you do a hard bike or run session, don't stretch afterwards and your legs pull up really stiff and sore the next day. Only difference is - you've done it to your upper body.

    Rest, stretch and massage...

  5. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by BikeMe
    Hey all,

    So recently I aquired a new road bike (a GT ZR1000 to be exact). I used to ride a hybrid, and decided it was time for me to upgrade. Yesterday my buddy and I went riding (this being my first time on the GT), and after about 6 miles I started feeling a pain in the middle of my chest. It would go away, come back, etc. It didn't effect me enough to make me stop, so we ended up riding about 50 miles total. After I got home, I was completely fine, though exhausted.

    Then I woke up the next morning.

    Now, I can't do anything without hurting my chest, throat, and upper back. Swallowing, breathing, moving, it doesn't matter. It's also harder for me to breathe, like i'm breathing in very humid/foggy air. I took some pain killers which helped a little, but it's still obviously there.

    Has anyone else experienced this before? I've already been to the doc. once for chest pain I had been experiencing (prognosis - strong heart and healthy lungs).

    Thanks a bunch!

    Hi BikeMe.

    What your describing sounds very much like a stained diaphragm as jhikers had suggested. They're not that uncommon especially when a person isn't used to hard exercise. ...and I know a new bike is enough to get me breathing out of my comfort zone. 😉

    The only thing that seems to be indicating otherwise is your complaint about swallowing and humid air. Respiratory infections/allergic reactions are very common towards the beginning of the season due to initial time spent outside amongst dust, pollen, and urban pollution.

    If either of these scenarios are true (ie, diaphragm, infection), the best thing to do is take it easy for a bit. You'll be back out there in no time.

  6. You should go to the doctor if you haven't already. My ex experienced a collapsed lung after simple exersize. He was an active healthy 25 yr old at the time. Apparently, he (and most everyone) has various "blebs" (what the doctor called them) which affected the pressure and would not allow that lung to inflate.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.