Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

New Bike Purchase - Specialized?

Started by bill2345 · · Last activity · 12 posts · 1,008 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
25 April 2004
Last activity
4 May 2004
Original author
bill2345
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,008
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm new to biking, and I'm never going to be doing 4-5 days a week. I'll be lucky to get in 2. I'm never going to be doing all these upgrades weekly, learning the detailed terminology, or joining a club where people sit around talking about biking all day. I'm just wondering about a good bike selection. I've read enough mixed feelings about a lower-end bike such as a Mongoose, but I'm not wanting to go 4 figures either. I'm a bigger guy (6'1 / 240), and I'm going to be doing both paved and some rougher terrain. After looking, talking, and researching, I've settled on the Specialized Hardrock Comp. What I'm wondering is...I know this is a good choice, but is there anything out there comparable to this selection(options, durability, reputation, price, etc.). I don't care one iota about looking "cool", "trends", etc. I just want a good bike. I've been told that this is probably the best selection (make, model, and style), but I wanted to see if anyone had any other info. I'd be willing to pay a bit more for the Hardrock Pro (Disc) if there were a compelling reason. Also, the SS is about the same price as the comp. Any suggestions?

  2. bill2345 said:

    I'm new to biking, and I'm never going to be doing 4-5
    days a week. I'll be lucky to get in 2. I'm never going to
    be doing all these upgrades weekly, learning the detailed
    terminology, or joining a club where people sit around
    talking about biking all day. I'm just wondering about a
    good bike selection. I've read enough mixed feelings about
    a lower-end bike such as a Mongoose, but I'm not wanting
    to go 4 figures either. I'm a bigger guy (6'1 / 240), and
    I'm going to be doing both paved and some rougher terrain.
    After looking, talking, and researching, I've settled on
    the Specialized Hardrock Comp. What I'm wondering is...I
    know this is a good choice, but is there anything out
    there comparable to this selection(options, durability,
    reputation, price, etc.). I don't care one iota about
    looking "cool", "trends", etc. I just want a good bike.
    I've been told that this is probably the best selection
    (make, model, and style), but I wanted to see if anyone
    had any other info. I'd be willing to pay a bit more for
    the Hardrock Pro (Disc) if there were a compelling reason.
    Also, the SS is about the same price as the comp. Any
    suggestions?

    --

    Whatever fits you best in you price range - try all of them!
    As far as disc, you will NOT need them unless you plan to
    ride in wet conditions.

    --
    - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

  3. bill2345 said:

    I'm new to biking, and I'm never going to be doing 4-5
    days a week. I'll be lucky to get in 2. I'm never going to
    be doing all these upgrades weekly, learning the detailed
    terminology, or joining a club where people sit around
    talking about biking all day. I'm just wondering about a
    good bike selection. I've read enough mixed feelings about
    a lower-end bike such as a Mongoose, but I'm not wanting
    to go 4 figures either. I'm a bigger guy (6'1 / 240), and
    I'm going to be doing both paved and some rougher terrain.
    After looking, talking, and researching, I've settled on
    the Specialized Hardrock Comp. What I'm wondering is...I
    know this is a good choice, but is there anything out
    there comparable to this selection(options, durability,
    reputation, price, etc.). I don't care one iota about
    looking "cool", "trends", etc. I just want a good bike.
    I've been told that this is probably the best selection
    (make, model, and style), but I wanted to see if anyone
    had any other info. I'd be willing to pay a bit more for
    the Hardrock Pro (Disc) if there were a compelling reason.
    Also, the SS is about the same price as the comp. Any
    suggestions?

    Don't have mixed feelings about mongeese from a department
    store. They're [censored]. My LBS had a Hardrock or Rockhopper SS
    (don't recall which). Its a brick. I'd stick to the geared
    bike, especially since you're new to the sport. For what
    you'd pay for a new Hardrock, you could find a much nicer
    bike that's sat in a garage for four years. More of a
    hassle/risk, but worth the thought. Maybe whoever told you
    the Specializeds were a good choice could help you check out
    the used market. I mountain biked for 19 years without disk
    brakes, you can probably test the waters of the sport
    without them if you don't want to pay a premium.
    :-)
    That said, the Specialized bikes are fine. Find a bike you
    want to ride, and a shop that will make sure it fits.

    Shawn

  4. "bill2345" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What I'm wondering is...I know this is a good choice, but
    is there anything out there comparable to this
    selection(options, durability, reputation, price, etc.).

    Literally, anything within your general price range at the
    LBS. Especially in the range you're looking at.

    Whatever fits you, from a bike shop you like.

    Specialized is as good as any.

    Pete

  5. bill2345 said:

    I'm new to biking, and I'm never going to be doing 4-5
    days a week. I'll be lucky to get in 2. I'm never going to
    be doing all these upgrades weekly, learning the detailed
    terminology, or joining a club where people sit around
    talking about biking all day.

    That's what we all said.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAH!!!

    Bill "fresh blood" S.

  6. " S o r n i" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    bill2345 said:

    I'm new to biking, and I'm never going to be doing 4-5
    days a week. I'll be lucky to get in 2. I'm never going
    to be doing all these upgrades weekly, learning the
    detailed terminology, or joining a club where people sit
    around talking about biking all day.

    That's what we all said.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAH!!!

    Bill "fresh blood" S.

    Exactly, Bill. First thing I thought was, "Yeah, right!"
    If anyone continues to ride any length of time at all
    (sometimes it does take years,) eventually he or she
    will find the need to upgrade something, maybe the bike
    itself, maybe just a part here or there, but be warned,
    newbies, once it begins, you WILL find reasons to
    upgrade. You WILL learn that there's a good reason to
    buy some of those more expensive parts. You WILL
    experience a sea-change in attitudes. I, for one, was as
    stubbornly set on _not_ getting hooked into the money-
    sucking schemes of all the "lighter, stronger, stiffer,
    smoother" components and bikes. I definitely was (and
    still am in most regards) a cheap scrooge. I started out
    on a discount store "ATB" about 15 years ago. But guess
    what? Mountain biking ain't cheap, even if you only ride
    2 days a week. And the more you enjoy it, the more you
    will pay for function and performance, [or should I say
    Performance.com? :-) ] I'm still not swayed much at all
    by cool factor, whether it be aesthetics or even minor
    function, unless it means something in MY particular
    riding experience. But if something offers me truly
    superior performance or durability, it'll definitlely
    open my pocketbook wider than I once thought anything
    could. Case in point: I have a friend who has been into
    flying for a long time. He's a physician and can afford
    it. He has also been biking with a mountainbike for
    several years, but mainly just tooling around his farm
    and woods and on a few country roads near his home. He
    managed to run smack over his Cannondale last year,
    totally ruining the frame and fork, so he called me for
    advice on a new bike. (He should have done that before
    buying the C-dale.) I know of another buddy who buys
    nice bikes, tinkers with them and builds them up, then
    eventually parts with them at very reasonable prices
    (_far below retail.) I suggested we go see what he had
    on hand, though I warned the doc that we would have to
    bump up a few hundred over what he had paid for his
    Cannondale, which was quite low-end but still ran him
    near $700 two years earlier, I think. (He did overpay at
    that rather sorry LBS.) So we found him a Diamondback,
    full suspension (helpful at 50 years old), Hayes
    hydraulic disc, Marzocchi air front end, good setup of
    mostly XT components. Yes, a bit heavier than his old
    bike, but still reasonable. And all for about a grand, I
    think. So now he has had it for not-quite a year. About
    a week ago, for his birthday, his wife gets him to an
    LBS and he got his first biking specific jersey and, oh
    yes, the lycra shorts and tights too. (I'll be getting
    him into biking socks next.) He observed recently that,
    "this mountainbiking isn't cheap, is it? I've always
    known I had an expensive hobby in flying my plane, but I
    never thought biking could be so expensive." I nodded in
    knowing agreement, and thought of how much stock I own
    in PerformanceBike, or at least should after the last 6
    years of frequent purchases. Doc had some vacation last
    week, so I finally got him off the farm and out to
    Douthat State Park for some real trail-riding. We took a
    long (for him) ride, with a big climb and then off into
    some National Forest that is a bit wilder and less-buff
    than in the park. We were coming back through a hollow
    alongside a beautiful creek, and doc noted, "You know,
    this is pretty fun. I'm going to have to take some more
    vacation and do this again." Another one hooked on the
    greatest sport known to mankind!!!
    --
    D N I E T S Off to R the M __, D H

    Reply to group. (Detestible spammers!)

  7. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by bill2345
    I'm new to biking, and I'm never going to be doing 4-5 days a week. I'll be lucky to get in 2. I'm never going to be doing all these upgrades weekly, learning the detailed terminology, or joining a club where people sit around talking about biking all day. I'm just wondering about a good bike selection. I've read enough mixed feelings about a lower-end bike such as a Mongoose, but I'm not wanting to go 4 figures either. I'm a bigger guy (6'1 / 240), and I'm going to be doing both paved and some rougher terrain. After looking, talking, and researching, I've settled on the Specialized Hardrock Comp. What I'm wondering is...I know this is a good choice, but is there anything out there comparable to this selection(options, durability, reputation, price, etc.). I don't care one iota about looking "cool", "trends", etc. I just want a good bike. I've been told that this is probably the best selection (make, model, and style), but I wanted to see if anyone had any other info. I'd be willing to pay a bit more for the Hardrock Pro (Disc) if there were a compelling reason. Also, the SS is about the same price as the comp. Any suggestions?

    OK, now that I've done more research, talking to buddies, two LBS's, I'm looking not so much at the Specialized anymore, as the Pro Disc is an 8 speed, not a 9 speed. I've been told that C-dale can't compare. The Kona is great, but has V-brakes (I really do need disc - wet, I'm a big guy, and some trails around here are steep). So, I'm looking now to get a Giant - either the Iguana or the Rainier. The Rainier supposedly has top of the line disc brakes, and a much better fork. Any thoughts?

  8. Quoted message said:

    Subject: Re: New Bike Purchase - Specialized?
    From: bill2345 [email hidden]
    Date: 5/2/2004 2:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time
    Message-id: <[email hidden]>

    bill2345 said:

    I'm new to biking, and I'm never going to be doing 4-5
    days a week. I'll be lucky to get in 2. I'm never going
    to be doing all these upgrades weekly, learning the
    detailed terminology, or joining a club where people
    sit around talking about biking all day. I'm just
    wondering about a good bike selection. I've read enough
    mixed feelings about a lower-end bike such as a
    Mongoose, but I'm not wanting to go 4 figures either.
    I'm a bigger guy (6'1 / 240), and I'm going to be doing
    both paved and some rougher terrain. After looking,
    talking, and researching, I've settled on the
    Specialized Hardrock Comp. What I'm wondering is...I
    know this is a good choice, but is there anything out
    there comparable to this selection(options, durability,
    reputation, price, etc.). I don't care one iota about
    looking "cool", "trends", etc. I just want a good bike.
    I've been told that this is probably the best selection
    (make, model, and style), but I wanted to see if anyone
    had any other info. I'd be willing to pay a bit more
    for the Hardrock Pro (Disc) if there were a compelling
    reason. Also, the SS is about the same price as the
    comp. Any suggestions?

    OK, now that I've done more research, talking to buddies,
    two LBS's, I'm looking not so much at the Specialized
    anymore, as the Pro Disc is an 8 speed, not a 9 speed. I've
    been told that C-dale can't compare. The Kona is great, but
    has V-brakes (I really do need disc - wet, I'm a big guy,
    and some trails around here are steep). So, I'm looking now
    to get a Giant - either the Iguana or the Rainier. The
    Rainier supposedly has top of the line disc brakes, and a
    much better fork. Any thoughts?


    The Rainier does come with Avid Mechanical disc brakes,
    which many would agree, are the best of the best in
    mechanical disc brakes. Some may even say they are better
    then some hydraulic discs. I owned a 2002 Rainier and my
    only complaint was that it did not climb well.

    Which Kona model are you looking at? Kona makes the Caldera,
    which is in the Rainiers price range, and comes a bit better
    spec'd then the Rainier.

  9. Quoted message said:

    and some trails around here are steep). So, I'm looking
    now to get a Giant - either the Iguana or the Rainier. The
    Rainier supposedly has top of the line disc brakes, and a
    much better fork. Any thoughts?

    Giant always builds lot's of value into their bikes, either
    of those two will do you just fine. They aren't the lightest
    at that price point, but if your starting out the
    quality/price isn't bad at all.

  10. bill2345 <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    bill2345 said:

    I'm new to biking, and I'm never going to be doing 4-5
    days a week. I'll be lucky to get in 2. I'm never
    going to be doing all these upgrades weekly, learning
    the detailed terminology, or joining a club where
    people sit around talking about biking all day. I'm
    just wondering about a good bike selection. I've read
    enough mixed feelings about a lower-end bike such as a
    Mongoose, but I'm not wanting to go 4 figures either.
    I'm a bigger guy (6'1 / 240), and I'm going to be
    doing both paved and some rougher terrain. After
    looking, talking, and researching, I've settled on the
    Specialized Hardrock Comp. What I'm wondering is...I
    know this is a good choice, but is there anything out
    there comparable to this selection(options,
    durability, reputation, price, etc.). I don't care one
    iota about looking "cool", "trends", etc. I just want
    a good bike. I've been told that this is probably the
    best selection (make, model, and style), but I wanted
    to see if anyone had any other info. I'd be willing to
    pay a bit more for the Hardrock Pro (Disc) if there
    were a compelling reason. Also, the SS is about the
    same price as the comp. Any suggestions?

    OK, now that I've done more research, talking to buddies,
    two LBS's, I'm looking not so much at the Specialized
    anymore, as the Pro Disc is an 8 speed, not a 9 speed.
    I've been told that C-dale can't compare. The Kona is
    great, but has V-brakes (I really do need disc - wet, I'm
    a big guy, and some trails around here are steep). So, I'm
    looking now to get a Giant - either the Iguana or the
    Rainier. The Rainier supposedly has top of the line disc
    brakes, and a much better fork. Any thoughts?

    Don't get stuck on name brands, that is for fools and
    wannabes. Usenet is full of people who pretend to know what
    they are talking about, but don't know jack. As a couple of
    other people have said, buy the bike that fits you the best.
    Also, at your weight be sure the wheelset has double wall
    rims and good name brand spokes. Some of the cheesier brands
    like to hide cheap chinese spokes on their wheelsets to save
    themselves a buck and snapping the head off of a spoke on
    your ride is obviously not their concern. One last thing,
    you don't *need* disc brakes. People mountain biked for
    years without them, just as they did without suspension.
    Listening to media hype is just as lame as blind brand
    loyalists.

    JD

  11. "JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    bill2345 <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    bill2345 said:

    I'm new to biking, and I'm never going to be doing
    4-5 days a week.


    I'll

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be lucky to get in 2. I'm never going to be doing
    all these upgrades weekly, learning the detailed
    terminology, or joining a club where people sit
    around talking about biking all day. I'm just
    wondering


    about

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a good bike selection. I've read enough mixed
    feelings about a


    lower-end

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    bike such as a Mongoose, but I'm not wanting to go 4
    figures either.


    I'm

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a bigger guy (6'1 / 240), and I'm going to be doing
    both paved and


    some

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    rougher terrain. After looking, talking, and
    researching, I've


    settled

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    on the Specialized Hardrock Comp. What I'm wondering
    is...I know


    this is

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a good choice, but is there anything out there
    comparable to this selection(options, durability,
    reputation, price, etc.). I don't


    care

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    one iota about looking "cool", "trends", etc. I just
    want a good


    bike.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've been told that this is probably the best
    selection (make,


    model,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and style), but I wanted to see if anyone had any
    other info. I'd be willing to pay a bit more for the
    Hardrock Pro (Disc) if there were


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    compelling reason. Also, the SS is about the same
    price as the comp.


    Any

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    suggestions?

    OK, now that I've done more research, talking to
    buddies, two LBS's, I'm looking not so much at the
    Specialized anymore, as the Pro Disc is an 8 speed, not
    a 9 speed. I've been told that C-dale can't compare. The
    Kona is great, but has V-brakes (I really do need disc -
    wet, I'm a big guy, and some trails around here are
    steep). So, I'm looking now to get a Giant - either the
    Iguana or the Rainier. The Rainier supposedly has top of
    the line disc brakes, and a much better fork. Any
    thoughts?

    Don't get stuck on name brands, that is for fools and
    wannabes. Usenet is full of people who pretend to know
    what they are talking about, but don't know jack. As a
    couple of other people have said, buy the bike that fits
    you the best. Also, at your weight be sure the wheelset
    has double wall rims and good name brand spokes. Some of
    the cheesier brands like to hide cheap chinese spokes on
    their wheelsets to save themselves a buck and snapping the
    head off of a spoke on your ride is obviously not their
    concern. One last thing, you don't *need* disc brakes.
    People mountain biked for years without them, just as they
    did without suspension. Listening to media hype is just as
    lame as blind brand loyalists.

    If you can, find a mtn bike with a lifetime warranty on the
    frame. Of course, fit and performance are the most important
    things, but if you can get this with w/a lifetime warranty
    then why not? It gives me a little piece of mind knowing
    that I won't have to purchase a new frame if I get a little
    too roudy with mine.

    Dave

  12. earlier ...

    "OK, now that I've done more research, talking to buddies,
    two LBS's, I'm looking not so much at the Specialized
    anymore, as the Pro Disc is an 8 speed, not a 9 speed."

    i don't think i'd get hung up on 8 versus 9 speeds,
    especially as a new rider. i started mountain biking back
    when we had 5 speed hubs, and kind of saw the progression to
    "more" as useful at first and then a bit crazy.

    with my current 9-speed hub, i can make fine adjustements to
    my gear ratio, but i also seem to spend a lot of time
    shifting through gears to get a big change in ratio.

    is suspect (for me) the optimum would be a bit less than 9
    ... maybe 7 or 8.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.