Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

New bike suggestions

Started by SumMaleSpecimen · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,894 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
10 June 2005
Last activity
28 June 2005
Original author
SumMaleSpecimen
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,894
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Simply put, I'm in the market for a new bike....350-450 range. Obviously, I want a hardtail (good luck finding a decent fs at that price!). I want a very good quality ride for trails and a little street. I like the K2 Zed 2.0 alot and also the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (I've been a die hard specialized man for a while).....any suggestions on a "best bang for your buck" ride?

  2. SumMaleSpecimen said:

    Simply put, I'm in the market for a new bike....350-450 range. Obviously, I want a hardtail (good luck finding a decent fs at that price!). I want a very good quality ride for trails and a little street. I like the K2 Zed 2.0 alot and also the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (I've been a die hard specialized man for a while).....any suggestions on a "best bang for your buck" ride?


    Specialized all the way, however, I hear the 05' Trek 4300 Disc is a nice compromise.

  3. I think I'm going to go with the '05 Rockhopper and compromise the discs for better components. I can hopefully pick one up for around 500.

  4. SumMaleSpecimen said:

    I think I'm going to go with the '05 Rockhopper and compromise the discs for better components. I can hopefully pick one up for around 500.


    Discs are more expensive to upgrade to. You need new wheels along with the brakes. Components can be found cheap on clearance...wheels are not so cheap.

  5. triguy98 said:

    Discs are more expensive to upgrade to. You need new wheels along with the brakes. Components can be found cheap on clearance...wheels are not so cheap.


    Well, first, you need to run the bike into the ground to your best ability. You ride hard till the wheels are trashed beyond repair...y'know, get your moneys worth 😉 . After that, you have all the impetus in the world to get new wheels and a set of disc brakes. 😎 Thats my plan for my new Marin, anyway.

    Besides, most bikes don't come with the highest quality wheels stock, so its always a great upgrade to save up for, to go from like..Alex rims and deore hubs to..Mavic x717's and XT disc hubs. 😄

  6. Blademun said:

    Well, first, you need to run the bike into the ground to your best ability. You ride hard till the wheels are trashed beyond repair...y'know, get your moneys worth 😉 . After that, you have all the impetus in the world to get new wheels and a set of disc brakes. 😎 Thats my plan for my new Marin, anyway.

    Besides, most bikes don't come with the highest quality wheels stock, so its always a great upgrade to save up for, to go from like..Alex rims and deore hubs to..Mavic x717's and XT disc hubs. 😄


    For some reason, I feel like I read somewhere that the '05 Rockhopper's are already disc compatible. However, judging from the statements of most of you, I'd assume they aren't. Either way, I can deal with the rim brakes for a while if I'll still have the good components. Here's the issue...I live in TN...we have no state income tax....as a result, our sales tax is around 9.25 %! Which means that if I'm buying a 500 dollar bike, it's really 550 dollars (and that's without the discs...)....then once I spend money on some other things (it's about time for a new helmet and new shorts), I'm [censored] out of money.

  7. buy online!!

  8. Finally picked up a new ride! Bought a brand new 2005 Specialized Rockhopper, Shimano Deore and Alivio, Manitou Axle Comp fork....love it! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I want to upgrade to discs, maybe change out the fork, and (most likely not but maybe) a lighter stem and bars....any more suggestions?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.