New crank on the market

pothole

Dec 13, 2001
Read this about a new revolutionary crank. Looking at it, I'm not sure if I would like to have that fitted on my bike. Maybe we can use it to change motorcar tyres ;D.. but.... http://www.nature.com/nsu/020923/020923-12.html

Sounds like biopace again...<br /><br />Typical non-cycling publication though.<br /><br />Handlebars have got bendier?????<br /><br />The &quot;Italian cycle team&quot; in the Tour de France?<br /><br />It's what journalists do. Write **** about stuff they really have no idea about. You only notice it when they try to write about your own pet subjects.<br /><br />Remember that the next time you read any newspaper, or listen to the news...

[quote author=Animal link=board=20;threadid=2491;start=0#21491 date=1033728828]<br />Sounds like biopace again...<br /><br />Typical non-cycling publication though.<br /><br />Handlebars have got bendier?????<br /><br />The &quot;Italian cycle team&quot; in the Tour de France?<br /><br />It's what journalists do. Write **** about stuff they really have no idea about. You only notice it when they try to write about your own pet subjects.<br /><br />Remember that the next time you read any newspaper, or listen to the news...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />HAHA i have to agree with that......

At the same time, can you imagine this comes out in 5 years time and is actually a meaningful change? Thats the sad thing about this stuff, what sounds like a crackpot discovery 5-50 years earlier turns out to be the next big thing, scientists have been finding this for centuries. And it does make sense that our legs were never designed to go round in a perfect circle, they are instead designed for walking?<br /><br />I always enjoy reports where someone, once again, questions the established wisdom wrt bikes, stuff like size of wheels etc, all things which are inevitably set by silly things like tyre manufacturers only being set up to produce certain tyre sizes. It would be lovely to raise some scientists in a world without bicycles and give them the characteristics we like in bikes (balance, efficiency etc) and get them to develop something. Lovely to see the changes. I heard about a CVT belt drive system on a bike a while back and this just seems like a far superior system, imagine always being in exactly the right gear

At that silly little bike show they had in Jo'burg in August, EPX bikes had a "urban" bike that was belt driven and had a internal 14 spd cog in the rear hub. Pretty impressive and very clean. Have a look here http://www.epxbikes.co.za/roadster.htm pitty they don't have specs but you can kinda see it.

I saw that bike as well. The only problem with these things is that they always put a new invention like that on a bike with integrated mudguards, 5 kg light pack and extra heavy construction. I'm all for the bicycle as an alternative method of transport but most of my love for the things comes from their efficiency. Whats the point in having new ideas if you dilute their effect by putting them on something like an urban bike. How about a Time Trial bike with something like this, I'm sure they must be able to get the weight close to that of an external set.

Track Bikes are weird things aren't they. Guys are still using equipment darn similar to that available 40 years ago. I guess with no gears, brakes etc there isn't that much you can change other than the frame material and design. I wonder what the rules are regarding a track bike's height? How close is one allowed to get to a recumbent?

[quote author=Rhodent link=board=20;threadid=2491;start=0#21811 date=1035275324]<br />there isn't that much you can change other than the frame material and design. [/quote]<br /><br />and most are still steel frames ;)

Yup, You would think at least Aluminimum would have begun to dominate, what with rigidity being an issue on these track bikes. I'm sure if someone cam up with a lightweight (Like EXTREMELY light) 3 speed belt drive system the trackies would latch onto it? especially some of the short distance guys who would like some acceleration. So saying I know less than nothing about track cycling, Where are there tracks in SA?