Cycling Equipment ยท Public discussion

new cyclist! help! breaking valves

Started by jenc ยท ยท Last activity ยท 15 posts ยท 2,335 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
14 June 2005
Last activity
22 June 2005
Original author
jenc
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,335
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1โ€“15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi All
    bit new to bikes and maybe a bit naive.. can u help??? ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„

    I have a hybrid bike with presta valves and a 2 headed specialised pump. however the 2 times I have attempted to pump my tyres, the valve has snapped right off! I unscrew the valve and I am not heavy handed - the last time it happened I managed to pump my tyre but when I took the pump off *snap* and all my hard work hisses out!
    I have cussed at the 'bad fragile design' of these valves but am starting to think I am probably doing something wrong - any advise please?! just want to get out riding!

    Thanks
    Jen

  2. jenc said:

    Hi All
    bit new to bikes and maybe a bit naive.. can u help??? ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„

    I have a hybrid bike with presta valves and a 2 headed specialised pump. however the 2 times I have attempted to pump my tyres, the valve has snapped right off! I unscrew the valve and I am not heavy handed - the last time it happened I managed to pump my tyre but when I took the pump off *snap* and all my hard work hisses out!
    I have cussed at the 'bad fragile design' of these valves but am starting to think I am probably doing something wrong - any advise please?! just want to get out riding!

    Thanks
    Jen

    It's either ham fisted operator error or an unlikely batch of bad valves. A bizillion inflates,and never a busted one here.

  3. jenc said:

    Hi All
    bit new to bikes and maybe a bit naive.. can u help??? ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„

    I have a hybrid bike with presta valves and a 2 headed specialised pump. however the 2 times I have attempted to pump my tyres, the valve has snapped right off! I unscrew the valve and I am not heavy handed - the last time it happened I managed to pump my tyre but when I took the pump off *snap* and all my hard work hisses out!
    I have cussed at the 'bad fragile design' of these valves but am starting to think I am probably doing something wrong - any advise please?! just want to get out riding!

    Thanks
    Jen

    Something's not right. Suggest you go back to your LBS, or just find an experienced cyclist to show you how it's done. Should be an easy fix.

  4. i was breaking a bunch of valves until i read that it helps to lower the pressure before connecting pump to valve...

    doing that, i haven't broken any.

    cu,
    larryb

  5. larryb said:

    i was breaking a bunch of valves until i read that it helps to lower the pressure before connecting pump to valve...

    doing that, i haven't broken any.

    cu,
    larryb

    That's nothing I ever had to do.

  6. It's almost certainly the way you are using your pump, absolutely nothing to do with what pressure you start at and unlikely to be the fault of the valve.

    You need to hold the pump firmly and brace the body of it against the tyre and rim with your fingers and or thumb so that you don't push or pull against the valve stem as you pump. Presta valves are made light for a reason and are not designed to take anywhere near the weight you can exert when you are pushing on your pump.

    It's also better to avoid valves with threaded stems. Use Michelin or some Vittoria or any that are smooth on the outside as these facilitate removing the pump without pulling the valve right out of the tube.

    Jay.

  7. jenc said:

    Hi All
    bit new to bikes and maybe a bit naive.. can u help??? ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„

    I have a hybrid bike with presta valves and a 2 headed specialised pump. however the 2 times I have attempted to pump my tyres, the valve has snapped right off! I unscrew the valve and I am not heavy handed - the last time it happened I managed to pump my tyre but when I took the pump off *snap* and all my hard work hisses out!
    I have cussed at the 'bad fragile design' of these valves but am starting to think I am probably doing something wrong - any advise please?! just want to get out riding!

    Thanks
    Jen

    I can't see how this is possible with a floor pump having a hose. Now if it is a frame pump (w/o a hose) then you are definitely screwing something up big time. Ya must be hammering away at the stem.

  8. capwater said:

    I can't see how this is possible with a floor pump having a hose. Now if it is a frame pump (w/o a hose) then you are definitely screwing something up big time. Ya must be hammering away at the stem.


    Its a hand held pump - no hose...

  9. jenc said:

    Its a hand held pump - no hose...

    You're bending the [censored] out of the valve stem thus breaking it. Hold the pump head in one hand (keeping it stationary) while pumping with the other.

    Hand held pumps are fine for roadside use. Get yourself a floor model with a hose AND a guage.

  10. capwater said:

    Hand held pumps are fine for roadside use. Get yourself a floor model with a hose AND a guage.


    I'll second that advice.

    L

  11. I did a totally muppet thing with my first presta valve. I had to buy a new track pump, and up to that point I'd used a foot pump. They clipped on in opposite directions - so I was trying to pump without being properly clipped on, and when I'd finished I would be accidentally securing it before I tried to disengage. Broke a couple of valves that way...:o

  12. Thanks for all your tips folks. tried it again last night and managed not to break the valve! next cycle purchase will definitely be a nice easy floor pump I reckon!

    Cheers again!
    Jen

  13. capwater said:

    You're bending the [censored] out of the valve stem thus breaking it. Hold the pump head in one hand (keeping it stationary) while pumping with the other.

    Hand held pumps are fine for roadside use. Get yourself a floor model with a hose AND a guage.


    A good floor pump with a built in guage will pay for itself with all of the flats you won't get. When using a hoseless pump out on the road, I've always had good luck lying the wheel down flat on some grass. Get a nice big rock to put between the pump head and the ground.

  14. Try the Cyclaire pump

    It will help you to stop ripping the valves out.

  15. artmichalek said:

    A good floor pump with a built in guage will pay for itself with all of the flats you won't get. When using a hoseless pump out on the

    Good floor pumps aren't even expensive. Nashbar/Performance regularly has an older model for around $10-15.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users ยท 0 guests ยท0 bots ยท0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.