new cyclist with apparel trouble

linck

Dec 31, 2006
I just started cycling and was wondering if it is safe to ride with just regular running shorts, on my first ride i had alot of pain in my tailbone area, secondly I'm in the army a live on a tight budget, all the shorts I saw at the shop were 80 dollars or more. Are there more bargin prices out there or do I have to just suck it up.

First off props and thanks are in order for being in the military. Irregardless to views on current situations, it shows a lot about ones character and means even more to others when a person is involved with the military. As far as bike shorts go, you can get them as cheap as 20-25 dollars on sale, and I believe Performance Bike online regularly carries them for 30 dollars. If I find it I'll attach a link to the site below. That being said, you get what you pay for. The absolute best 300 dollar cycling bibs aren't needed, but you will feel a difference in comfort between a 30 dollar pair of shorts and a 60 dollar pair of shorts.

In regards to riding in running shorts, they lack padding, the chamois, of the bike shorts. This could cause discomfort and some chaffing.

shorts on sale for $30, gel padding
$30 shorts on sale for $20, won't be quite as comfortable

linck said:
I just started cycling and was wondering if it is safe to ride with just regular running shorts, on my first ride i had alot of pain in my tailbone area, secondly I'm in the army a live on a tight budget, all the shorts I saw at the shop were 80 dollars or more. Are there more bargin prices out there or do I have to just suck it up.
You might want to check out comments re cycling shorts at this link:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t378991.html

Here's a useful link for price-comparison shopping. I've had good experience with PerformanceBike, Nashbar, BikeSomeWhere, SunriseCyclery, and GearLink, among others. Also, be alert for coupons. Performance and Nashbar are always offering 10%-20% off; this in addition to "sale" prices of 25-50% off on some merchandise. Sunrise is now running a MY10 10% off code.

I find that the site www.stingier.com provides good current coupon codes for a number of cycling sites.

linck said:
Also, part of your problem may be your saddle. There are lots of choices in saddles, and as many opinions and price points. The key is to find a saddle that works for you. Some have "strategically placed" cutouts, some have gel padding, some people swear by the 1970's-style Brooks leather saddles, etc. There's even a new high-end (i.e., very pricey) saddle that is intended to keep a guy's gonads from getting smushed. Also, check the level of your saddle.

Max Phillips said:
First off props and thanks are in order for being in the military. Irregardless to views on current situations, it shows a lot about ones character and means even more to others when a person is involved with the military. As far as bike shorts go, you can get them as cheap as 20-25 dollars on sale, and I believe Performance Bike online regularly carries them for 30 dollars. If I find it I'll attach a link to the site below. That being said, you get what you pay for. The absolute best 300 dollar cycling bibs aren't needed, but you will feel a difference in comfort between a 30 dollar pair of shorts and a 60 dollar pair of shorts.

In regards to riding in running shorts, they lack padding, the chamois, of the bike shorts. This could cause discomfort and some chaffing.

shorts on sale for $30, gel padding
$30 shorts on sale for $20, won't be quite as comfortable

Nice sentiments but irregardless aint a word.

OldGoat said:
You might want to check out comments re cycling shorts at this link:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t378991.html

Here's a useful link for price-comparison shopping. I've had good experience with PerformanceBike, Nashbar, BikeSomeWhere, SunriseCyclery, and GearLink, among others. Also, be alert for coupons. Performance and Nashbar are always offering 10%-20% off; this in addition to "sale" prices of 25-50% off on some merchandise. Sunrise is now running a MY10 10% off code.

I find that the site www.stingier.com provides good current coupon codes for a number of cycling sites.
Sorry. Forgot to put in the price comparison link. Here it is:
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes

Xsmoker said:
Nice sentiments but irregardless aint a word.
Haha, oh how I wish I could find an edit button for the above post. I'm not sure how many times I've used "irregardless" despite knowing at some level it's not a word. Thanks for the props though...

Xsmoker said:
Nice sentiments

Max Phillips said:
Haha, oh how I wish I could find an edit button for the above post....
The "Edit" button only appears for a limited time (about 20 mins I think) from the time of your original post so you only have that amount of time to edit a posting. After that time, the edit button disappears (unless you're a mod or an admin) and you'll have to contact a mod or an admin if you want to edit a posting.

Ditto on the feelings for the hard to afford cycling shorts.
www.insport.com
This company usually has gear for quite a bit less, and carries military stuff you might like also.
I've been wearing their gear for over 3 years and it lasts. You won't need a needle and thread to repair any more seams over time than you would need for the more expensive brands.

I bought $25 (retail, not online) Cannondale shorts for riding on the trainer or short rides, but have many 2 to 3 hour hard rides without pain. I am pleasantly suprised by them for the money spent. Full length and nice leg grippers, chamois is thin and soft, not as thick or heavily padded as some.

linck said:
Ironically, my first pair of cycling shorts were bought at the BX. It was company called Insport. Then again, no matter what base you get to AAFES never has to same items in stock. Maybe except shaving cream, but you get my drift.
Anyway, I always mailorder my stuff. I use Nashbar.com a lot for the replacement goods like chains, lubes, etc. They always seem to have a sale on clothing although they don't carry the more high end products, but perfect for guys like you and me on a budget. I bought a long sleeve Canari jersey from them a while ago and it's still my favorite thing to ride in during the cold weather days. Stay away from their Nashbar branded short sleeve jerseys though. That stuff didn't last me 3 weeks and it started to tear up.
There are many other websites out there, just google it.
I started just like you riding in a pair of runing shorts. It sucked. Like you said about budget. I didn't have any money then. I dropped it all on a bike. Nut$ started getting numb. I just wanted to ride so I carried on. Don't do it too long and I think you might shoot blanks.

Hooah Linck!

I KNEW you were a soldier from your post above. Check out my APFT advice.

You can get nice shorts for as little as $40. That's what my Cannondales cost at my local bike shop here in Des Moines, home of RAGBRAI.

Avoid mixing bike shorts with your PFU. Some commands get hissy about this. You can probably wear your bike shorts UNDER your black PFU trunks, though you might have to apply black paint or marker over exposed logos.
The black PFU windpants are awfully baggy and made by prisoners, so tie the legs up with reflective bands or blousing rubbers. I still wear that longsleeve T as an undergarment under my orange hunter parka and over my yellow mesh wifebeater when I ride in winter. BTW, I had a psycho female ANG NCO, who later did time at Leavenworth, accuse me of sexual harassement for wearing uncovered bike shorts. Consider the source.

Some commands also get hissy about backpacks, helmets, etc. Some O's or SNCO's may not like your bike helmet or your civilian backpack. You may be able to explain the bike helmet in the same manner that motorcyclists on post wear civilian helmets. If you have a bright orange backpack, usually purchased around deer season, this constitutes a safety vest. Wear a combat helmet on your bike may require you wear full battlerattle.

Brooks leather saddles are the best, but they are best broken in with neatsfoot oil. This MIGHT stain the crotch of BDU's or especially these new ACU's, but maybe not. If you avoid riding long distances in uniform and the seat is not oily to the touch, you will probably be OK. That's why bike shorts have always black BTW.

What do ride and where are you stationed?

Brian

BTW, try to liberate 1 or 2 pairs of those orange reflective roadguard gauntlets. When you bend over the bars and your sleeves ride up, they keep the wind off your wrists.
B

I found insport shorts at Academy Sports (box store) for about 25$. They've served me pretty well and I will most likely buy my next set from them as well. Academy also had some decent jerseys for around $40. Might be worth checking out if there's an Academy in your area. www.academysports.com It appears though that it's a southern chain store.

A beautiful word actually. Takes the place of am not, will not and is not. It should probably rate its own key on a keyboard and is far more descriptive then hooah or oorah:)

I think I'll put that on my Schwinn when I repaint it.
"It's a Schwinn AINT."
Brian