New frame!! - Swaping Groups

biserker1

Jan 17, 2011
Very excited - purchased a 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 frame! Big upgrade from my 2.1

Currently running a mixture of ultegra/105 on my current ride. Can i just swap this current components to the new frame?

Also, i believe the madone has internal bottom bracket bearing vs the external on the 2.1. should i replace the bottome bracket bearings? The person i purchased the frame from said i may want to replace them.

Thanks!

PS - To my previous post, Stayed with the 54 H2, glad i did as the 56 just felt "different."

You can just swap all the parts over, except the bottom bracket bearings. You'll need a BB bearings for a BB90 bottom bracket to go with your Shimano cranks. A bike shop can help you with that and should have them in stock (especially if they sell Trek bikes).

Frame came in today. looks good.

I believe i will need a new Front derailleur as this frame uses a braze on. Bike shop quoted me $75 and hour to transfer all components, will take approx. and hour. They will need to replace cables, and other misc parts.

Originally Posted by biserker1 .

Frame came in today. looks good.

I believe i will need a new Front derailleur as this frame uses a braze on. Bike shop quoted me $75 and hour to transfer all components, will take approx. and hour. They will need to replace cables, and other misc parts.
What miscellaneous parts? You should make them be specific. Don't just take it for granted when they something needs to be replaced. You should ask, "Why?", and demand to keep the parts they change so that you can inspect them.

Changing cables and housings is reasonable. Make sure that you have a choice of front derailleur and that they don't immediately opt for a more expensive version. It is also possible that some bearings could need replacing, but could isn't will. The two bikes have slightly different geometry, a difference great enough that you may need to have spacers installed under the stem or have an entirely new stem mounted to achieve fit for you.