General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

New Lifter, What to do about unequal strength

Started by jabadoodle · · Last activity · 107 posts · 2,189 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
28 January 2006
Last activity
4 February 2006
Original author
jabadoodle
Posts
107
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,189
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 107
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just started going to the gym last month. At first was doing cardio
    and then using machines. Yesterday did a few exercises with free
    weights. On one, a triceps exercise, I was working the two arms
    separately. I'm right handed and my right arm was noticeable
    stronger and I could do more reps with it.

    So how important is it to equalize the two sides of the body
    (considering I'm not trying to pose or the like) and how should
    I go about it?

    Should I stick to machines for a while?

    Maybe do just what the left can do, thinking the left will be
    maxing at that and hence growing and the right will just be
    getting an easier workout until the left catches up?

    Or do I do extra sets on just the left?

    Thanks for any advice,
    Gary

  2. "jabadoodle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Just started going to the gym last month. At first was doing cardio
    and then using machines. Yesterday did a few exercises with free
    weights. On one, a triceps exercise, I was working the two arms
    separately. I'm right handed and my right arm was noticeable
    stronger and I could do more reps with it.

    So how important is it to equalize the two sides of the body
    (considering I'm not trying to pose or the like) and how should
    I go about it?

    Should I stick to machines for a while?

    Maybe do just what the left can do, thinking the left will be
    maxing at that and hence growing and the right will just be
    getting an easier workout until the left catches up?

    Or do I do extra sets on just the left?

    Thanks for any advice,
    Gary


    I got the same thing going, I'm curious to hear the answers from the "pros"
    out here. For myself I just work both sides the same until the weaker on
    catches up. but I'm not sure it's the right way to do it.. C'mon guys,
    what's right?

    Will~ (on a new computer with working arrows and an actual mouse ! aren't
    you proud of me David???)

  3. "Willow Herself" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "jabadoodle" <[email hidden]> wrote >>

    Quoted message said:

    Just started going to the gym last month. At first was doing cardio
    and then using machines. Yesterday did a few exercises with free
    weights. On one, a triceps exercise, I was working the two arms
    separately. I'm right handed and my right arm was noticeable
    stronger and I could do more reps with it.

    So how important is it to equalize the two sides of the body
    (considering I'm not trying to pose or the like) and how should
    I go about it?

    Should I stick to machines for a while?

    Maybe do just what the left can do, thinking the left will be
    maxing at that and hence growing and the right will just be
    getting an easier workout until the left catches up?

    Or do I do extra sets on just the left?

    Thanks for any advice,

    Quoted message said:

    I got the same thing going, I'm curious to hear the answers from the
    "pros" out here. For myself I just work both sides the same until the
    weaker on catches up. but I'm not sure it's the right way to do it.. C'mon
    guys, what's right?

    Will~ (on a new computer with working arrows and an actual mouse ! aren't
    you proud of me David???)

    I owe you $10. Visit Las Vegas and I'll buy you dinner.

    David

  4. David Cohen said:


    "Willow Herself" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "jabadoodle" <[email hidden]> wrote >>

    Quoted message said:

    Just started going to the gym last month. At first was doing cardio
    and then using machines. Yesterday did a few exercises with free
    weights. On one, a triceps exercise, I was working the two arms
    separately. I'm right handed and my right arm was noticeable
    stronger and I could do more reps with it.

    So how important is it to equalize the two sides of the body
    (considering I'm not trying to pose or the like) and how should
    I go about it?

    Should I stick to machines for a while?

    Maybe do just what the left can do, thinking the left will be
    maxing at that and hence growing and the right will just be
    getting an easier workout until the left catches up?

    Or do I do extra sets on just the left?

    Thanks for any advice,

    Quoted message said:

    I got the same thing going, I'm curious to hear the answers from the
    "pros" out here. For myself I just work both sides the same until the
    weaker on catches up. but I'm not sure it's the right way to do it.. C'mon
    guys, what's right?

    Will~ (on a new computer with working arrows and an actual mouse ! aren't
    you proud of me David???)

    I owe you $10. Visit Las Vegas and I'll buy you dinner.

    David

    You shouldn't have mentioned the sig. She might've simply forgotten
    to add it.

    I'll show myself out.
    ~GJ~

  5. "Gemini Jackson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    David Cohen said:


    "Willow Herself" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "jabadoodle" <[email hidden]> wrote >>
    > Just started going to the gym last month. At first was doing cardio
    > and then using machines. Yesterday did a few exercises with free
    > weights. On one, a triceps exercise, I was working the two arms
    > separately. I'm right handed and my right arm was noticeable
    > stronger and I could do more reps with it.
    >
    > So how important is it to equalize the two sides of the body
    > (considering I'm not trying to pose or the like) and how should
    > I go about it?
    >
    > Should I stick to machines for a while?
    >
    > Maybe do just what the left can do, thinking the left will be
    > maxing at that and hence growing and the right will just be
    > getting an easier workout until the left catches up?
    >
    > Or do I do extra sets on just the left?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice,

    Quoted message said:

    I got the same thing going, I'm curious to hear the answers from the
    "pros" out here. For myself I just work both sides the same until the
    weaker on catches up. but I'm not sure it's the right way to do it..
    C'mon
    guys, what's right?

    Will~ (on a new computer with working arrows and an actual mouse !
    aren't
    you proud of me David???)

    I owe you $10. Visit Las Vegas and I'll buy you dinner.

    David

    You shouldn't have mentioned the sig. She might've simply forgotten
    to add it.

    I'll show myself out.
    ~GJ~

    You break my heart.. snif..
    Will~

  6. "David Cohen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Willow Herself" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "jabadoodle" <[email hidden]> wrote >>

    Quoted message said:

    Just started going to the gym last month. At first was doing cardio
    and then using machines. Yesterday did a few exercises with free
    weights. On one, a triceps exercise, I was working the two arms
    separately. I'm right handed and my right arm was noticeable
    stronger and I could do more reps with it.

    So how important is it to equalize the two sides of the body
    (considering I'm not trying to pose or the like) and how should
    I go about it?

    Should I stick to machines for a while?

    Maybe do just what the left can do, thinking the left will be
    maxing at that and hence growing and the right will just be
    getting an easier workout until the left catches up?

    Or do I do extra sets on just the left?

    Thanks for any advice,

    Quoted message said:

    I got the same thing going, I'm curious to hear the answers from the
    "pros" out here. For myself I just work both sides the same until the
    weaker on catches up. but I'm not sure it's the right way to do it..
    C'mon guys, what's right?

    Will~ (on a new computer with working arrows and an actual mouse ! aren't
    you proud of me David???)

    I owe you $10. Visit Las Vegas and I'll buy you dinner.

    David

    Now on the question... what does one do when one side is significantly
    stronger than the other? My right hand (arm) is more agile but my left hand
    (arm) is much stronger.. now what?
    Will~

  7. "jabadoodle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Just started going to the gym last month. At first was doing cardio
    and then using machines. Yesterday did a few exercises with free
    weights. On one, a triceps exercise, I was working the two arms
    separately. I'm right handed and my right arm was noticeable
    stronger and I could do more reps with it.

    So how important is it to equalize the two sides of the body
    (considering I'm not trying to pose or the like) and how should
    I go about it?

    Should I stick to machines for a while?

    Maybe do just what the left can do, thinking the left will be
    maxing at that and hence growing and the right will just be
    getting an easier workout until the left catches up?

    Or do I do extra sets on just the left?

    Do exercises that don't isolate either arm, like skull crushers, two-handed
    push downs, and dips (with proper form). They'll eventually equalize to some
    degree.

  8. Willow Herself said:

    I got the same thing going, I'm curious to hear the answers from the "pros"
    out here. For myself I just work both sides the same until the weaker on
    catches up. but I'm not sure it's the right way to do it.. C'mon guys,
    what's right?

    Will~ (on a new computer with working arrows and an actual mouse ! aren't
    you proud of me David???)

    I want you willow...

  9. Willow Herself said:


    Now on the question... what does one do when one side is significantly
    stronger than the other? My right hand (arm) is more agile but my left hand
    (arm) is much stronger.. now what?
    Will~

    Well do what men do when we have that problem, masturbate with your
    other hand every other day.

  10. "Willow Herself" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "David Cohen" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Willow Herself" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "jabadoodle" <[email hidden]> wrote >>
    > Just started going to the gym last month. At first was doing cardio
    > and then using machines. Yesterday did a few exercises with free
    > weights. On one, a triceps exercise, I was working the two arms
    > separately. I'm right handed and my right arm was noticeable
    > stronger and I could do more reps with it.
    >
    > So how important is it to equalize the two sides of the body
    > (considering I'm not trying to pose or the like) and how should
    > I go about it?
    >
    > Should I stick to machines for a while?
    >
    > Maybe do just what the left can do, thinking the left will be
    > maxing at that and hence growing and the right will just be
    > getting an easier workout until the left catches up?
    >
    > Or do I do extra sets on just the left?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice,

    Quoted message said:

    I got the same thing going, I'm curious to hear the answers from the
    "pros" out here. For myself I just work both sides the same until the
    weaker on catches up. but I'm not sure it's the right way to do it..
    C'mon guys, what's right?

    Will~ (on a new computer with working arrows and an actual mouse !
    aren't you proud of me David???)

    I owe you $10. Visit Las Vegas and I'll buy you dinner.

    Now on the question... what does one do when one side is significantly
    stronger than the other? My right hand (arm) is more agile but my left
    hand (arm) is much stronger.. now what?

    Hmmm...usually it's guys who have one hand/arm that's stronger and more
    agile, but, I don't know why.

    Unless you're a competitive athlete who needs very symmetrical strength, who
    cares?

    David

  11. David Cohen said:


    Hmmm...usually it's guys who have one hand/arm that's stronger and more
    agile, but, I don't know why.

    Unless you're a competitive athlete who needs very symmetrical strength, who
    cares?

    David

    You sexist bassturd! Are you implying that men masturbate more than
    woman? It's not only sexist, but wrong.

  12. "Irritating" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Willow Herself said:

    I got the same thing going, I'm curious to hear the answers from the
    "pros"
    out here. For myself I just work both sides the same until the weaker on
    catches up. but I'm not sure it's the right way to do it.. C'mon guys,
    what's right?

    Will~ (on a new computer with working arrows and an actual mouse ! aren't
    you proud of me David???)

    I want you willow...

    I'm so glad

  13. Willow Herself said:
    Quoted message said:

    I want you willow...

    I'm so glad

    That makes two of us. Coincidence? Or divine intervention?

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    Just started going to the gym last month. At first was doing cardio
    and then using machines. Yesterday did a few exercises with free
    weights. On one, a triceps exercise, I was working the two arms
    separately. I'm right handed and my right arm was noticeable
    stronger and I could do more reps with it.

    So how important is it to equalize the two sides of the body
    (considering I'm not trying to pose or the like) and how should
    I go about it?

    Should I stick to machines for a while?

    Maybe do just what the left can do, thinking the left will be
    maxing at that and hence growing and the right will just be
    getting an easier workout until the left catches up?

    Or do I do extra sets on just the left?

    Can you run a little experiment for us? Use heavier weights and more
    reps with your stronger arm? See how unequal you can make them. Report
    back.

    John Black

  15. Willow Herself said:

    "Irritating" <[email hidden]> trolled:

    Quoted message said:


    I want you willow...

    I'm so glad

    Willow, you've made huge, major progress here. You're not top-posting.
    You got rid of the annoying sig. You're asking meaningful questions.
    You just have one lessons left to learn:

    Don't feed the trolls.

    Dally

  16. "John Black" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    Just started going to the gym last month. At first was doing cardio
    and then using machines. Yesterday did a few exercises with free
    weights. On one, a triceps exercise, I was working the two arms
    separately. I'm right handed and my right arm was noticeable
    stronger and I could do more reps with it.

    So how important is it to equalize the two sides of the body
    (considering I'm not trying to pose or the like) and how should
    I go about it?

    Should I stick to machines for a while?

    Maybe do just what the left can do, thinking the left will be
    maxing at that and hence growing and the right will just be
    getting an easier workout until the left catches up?

    Or do I do extra sets on just the left?

    Can you run a little experiment for us? Use heavier weights and more
    reps with your stronger arm? See how unequal you can make them. Report
    back.

    LMAO! Yes, do that.

  17. Dally said:

    You just have one lessons left to learn:

    Don't feed the trolls.

    You'll have to excuse Dully, she isn't aware I'm no longer a troll,
    due to her faux killfiles.


  18. Quoted message said:


    Can you run a little experiment for us? Use heavier weights and more
    reps with your stronger arm? See how unequal you can make them.
    Report back.

    I see you're unballanced too.

  19. "Irritating" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Willow Herself said:
    Quoted message said:

    I want you willow...

    I'm so glad

    That makes two of us. Coincidence? Or divine intervention?

    LOL You are baaaaaaaad funny but baaaaaaaaaaaad

  20. David Cohen said:


    "Willow Herself" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    Beside if you remove the troll post in here, there isn't much left
    really.. It would be very boring to say the least..

    But, maybe Dally is suggesting...as if I know what a flaming left wing
    liberal Massechesetterianite thinks...that if you make it a habit of
    rep[lying constantly to trolls, others may start to ignore your posts.

    Quoted message said:

    In the hope that you have a joyfull love filled day...

    In the hope that the fleas of a thousand camels inhabit your pubic hair...

    No, because the fleas might get on her dog, and we wouldn't want poor
    Gracie to suffer, would we?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.