UK and Europe · Public discussion

New london commute - route question

Started by Darth. · · Last activity · 10 posts · 438 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
17 April 2005
Last activity
25 September 2005
Original author
Darth.
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
438
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In two weeks I'm moving to Greenwich and I'm going to start commuting
    to my office next to the Milennium Bridge. Does anyone have any advice
    on good routes? Should I go through the foot tunnel to the Isle of
    Dogs and go on the North side of the river? How far does the Thames
    footpath extend on the South side of the river? I'd like to avoid Old
    Kent Road and Jamaica Road if possible!

    Thanks,

    Darth.

  2. Darth. said:

    In two weeks I'm moving to Greenwich and I'm going to start commuting
    to my office next to the Milennium Bridge. Does anyone have any advice
    on good routes? Should I go through the foot tunnel to the Isle of
    Dogs and go on the North side of the river? How far does the Thames
    footpath extend on the South side of the river? I'd like to avoid Old
    Kent Road and Jamaica Road if possible!

    Thanks,

    Darth.

    http://www.cyclemaps.com and select either the direct or backroads route
    option (site seems to be down temporarily at the moment)

    Tony

  3. Darth. said:

    In two weeks I'm moving to Greenwich and I'm going to start commuting
    to my office next to the Milennium Bridge. Does anyone have any advice
    on good routes? Should I go through the foot tunnel to the Isle of
    Dogs and go on the North side of the river? How far does the Thames
    footpath extend on the South side of the river? I'd like to avoid Old
    Kent Road and Jamaica Road if possible!


    You called?

    The fast commuter route is along Creek Road, over Deptford Creek,
    through the one-way system at Surrey Quays and along Jamaica Road.

    The Thames Footpath runs the complete way, but is much slower.
    And do you REALLY want to ride through the Pepys at night?
    Seriously, from Greenwich again over Deptford Creek. Swing right through
    the new flats, round te back of Convoys Wharf and the Dog and Bell.
    Through the Pepys, for speed don't join the river but stay on the road.
    Across South Dock, then follow NCN rout 4 signs. Through the Russia Dock
    Woods, up to Rotherhithe Tube station.
    Follow the river past Cherry Gardens, then Jacob's Island.
    Across the bridge to the Design Museum and up to Tower Bridge.
    At this point you must follow Tooley Street - cycling along the path
    beside City Hall and the development there is forbidden.
    Turn right off Tooley Street past the London Bridge hospital then
    under London Bridge to come out at the Cathedral then follow the riverside
    along to the Tate.
    Quicker and better to follow Park St. and go under Blackfriars Bridge.
    Remember that the riverside along there has plenty of walkers and tourists,
    so you should not be hammering it along there. OK for an leisurely scoot.

    But as I say, the main roads are the way.
    You could work in Southwark Park maybe for a break.
    Jamaica Road is OK actually - full time bus lanes both ways, and at the
    end you get to turn right up Tooley St. along the bus lane. Just be
    careful at this juntion.

    Oh, and make sure to come along to Greenwich Cyclists
    www.greenwichcyclists.org.uk

  4. Darth. said:

    In two weeks I'm moving to Greenwich and I'm going to start commuting
    to my office next to the Milennium Bridge. Does anyone have any advice
    on good routes?

    Join the Greenwich and Southwark cyclists email lists.
    We'll find you someone to do the journey with you for the first few days.

  5. On 17 Apr 2005 07:02:18 -0700, "Darth." <[email hidden]>
    wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    Darth.

    Darth who, though? We know of Darth Ian, Darth Ben and Darth
    Stuart...

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    "To every complex problem there is a solution which is
    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  6. Ooops - Sorry "Old Dove St" should read Great Dover Street

  7. Darth. said:

    In two weeks I'm moving to Greenwich and I'm going to start commuting
    to my office next to the Milennium Bridge.

    Padewan

  8. Darth. said:

    In two weeks I'm moving to Greenwich and I'm going to start commuting
    to my office next to the Milennium Bridge. Does anyone have any advice
    on good routes?


    Padewan, you ask the wrong questions.

    Your route home should be:

    Founders Arms, Market Porter, Jacob's Island

  9. John Hearns said:

    Your route home should be:

    Founders Arms, Market Porter, Jacob's Island


    Apologies. These were some very old messages in my newsreader's outbox.

  10. John Hearns said:
    John Hearns said:

    Your route home should be:

    Founders Arms, Market Porter, Jacob's Island


    Apologies. These were some very old messages in my newsreader's outbox.

    Mostly unfinished. I suppose it's too late to cancel them now?
    --
    Chris

    Have you hever noticed how Windows keep temporary files forever and
    regularly destroys important files?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.