New Mountain Bike

rtd131

Dec 19, 2007
I'm looking for a new mountain bike. I'll need to purchase it at the end of next year, so a 2008 model will be fine. I'm looking for a cross country hardtail in the $1200 range. Any good models or brands I should be looking at? THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

if i had that money to spend on a hardtail, i'd probably get this

btw, you got some errors in your sig dude. Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield.

friendzonehero said:
if i had that money to spend on a hardtail, i'd probably get this

btw, you got some errors in your sig dude. Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield.
You know , i've heard great things about the xtc alliance, I like the SRAM drivetrain. I really am a big fan of the giant frames. Thanks for your help! (and I'll get my signature changed, thanks!)

no problem. you can't hardly beat that paint job too! giant has a nice sense of style when it comes to frame design. i would've gone with the alliance myself but i had a $500 budget at the time so i went with a silver and yellow yukon. it looks pretty sharp to me.

honestly, i am not really a big fan of trek. Partly because about half the stuff on their bikes is made by bontrager, which kinda sucks. You really have a small choice of parts on trek bikes. For a good trek bike, the only good thing is a fuel ex, because their other bikes really aren't that great

The Bontrager parts on my bike seem pretty solid. The crank arms are strong and so are the handle bars. The tires are the same brand and they do really well. Aren't Giant's made in China?

Trekhead said:
The Bontrager parts on my bike seem pretty solid. The crank arms are strong and so are the handle bars. The tires are the same brand and they do really well. Aren't Giant's made in China?

giant frames are made in taiwan. I have two giant hadtails and can't complain about them

rtd131 said:
I'm looking for a new mountain bike. I'll need to purchase it at the end of next year, so a 2008 model will be fine. I'm looking for a cross country hardtail in the $1200 range. Any good models or brands I should be looking at? THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!
We're just doing the same thing for my daughter's BF...his VP-Free is way too heavy for him to join in on our family rides, so we've been looking for an inexpensive, yet serious, hardtail.

After looking at Trek, Giant, Specialized, and too may more, he bought a Marin (Bobcat Trail, no need to get the more expensive ones)...an incredible value, comprehensive warranty, superior components, and that remarkable Marin frame. Blows the competition away.

We're a family again.

Canzures said:
giant frames are made in taiwan. I have two giant hadtails and can't complain about them

Many things are coming out of Taiwan now a days. That could be a good thing (lower cost, high import rate, etc) , or a bad thing (if its high quantity.. that also tends to result in lower quality- lower in terms of a slightly higher fail rate in comparison to a boutique frame builder in the US or Canada).

... $1200 bucks huhhhh, and something new. Well, there is always Ebay. I did see a Columbus steel framed frame on there, some seller was selling several units of, for like $250 per frame. Get your components + fork for $1000 ... then you're good to go.

Adam-from-SLO said:
Many things are coming out of Taiwan now a days. That could be a good thing (lower cost, high import rate, etc) , or a bad thing (if its high quantity.. that also tends to result in lower quality- lower in terms of a slightly higher fail rate in comparison to a boutique frame builder in the US or Canada).

... $1200 bucks huhhhh, and something new. Well, there is always Ebay. I did see a Columbus steel framed frame on there, some seller was selling several units of, for like $250 per frame. Get your components + fork for $1000 ... then you're good to go.
Ended up Buying a Haro Shift R5. Definately worth it. I was seriously looking at the xtc alliance, but after 1 ride on the haro, i fell in love with it. Maybe i'll get an Xtc for xc-racing. Anyways, thank you very much for your help!