General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

New noninvasive test to detect diabetes

Started by Bay Area Dave · · Last activity · 11 posts · 732 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 June 2004
Last activity
19 June 2004
Original author
Bay Area Dave
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
732
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Here is the link. (the premise is that ketones will be
    present in exhaled breath)

    story.news.yahoo.comnews
    ap/20040610/ap_on_he_me/diabetes_testing

    dave

  2. Bay Area Dave <[email hidden]> quoth:

    Quoted message said:

    Here is the link. (the premise is that ketones will be
    present in exhaled breath)

    How on earth would that identify any but 1) people heading
    into DKA or 2) people who are low-carbing?

    Priscilla
    --
    "Come to Planet Earth! Watch people with brains not use
    them! Several shows daily! Free admittance!" Keera Ann Fox
    in alt.support.menopause

  3. I didn't write the article. Ask the reporter.

    My own PERSONAL opinion is that it would find some false
    positives, but it WOULD find some true diabetics. I'm sure
    my own breath would have provided an accurate example of
    someone who's DM could have been spotted literally YEARS
    before the diagnosis. ANYTHING gets people tested more than
    the current status quo is a GOOD THING.

    Your negativity is depressing.

    dave

    Priscilla H Ballou said:

    Bay Area Dave <[email hidden]> quoth:

    Quoted message said:

    Here is the link. (the premise is that ketones will be
    present in exhaled breath)

    How on earth would that identify any but 1) people heading
    into DKA or 2) people who are low-carbing?

    Priscilla

  4. On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:22:43 GMT, Bay Area Dave <[email hidden]> wrote:

    There has been a test for diabetes over 50 years old. It was
    the urine strips. A roll of Testape cost about what two of
    the current strips. when used properly it caught most
    diabetes in time. You just drink a glass of orange juice and
    tested 30 minutes later. It was too cheap and did not find
    diabetics coming out of the woodwork.

    If it was positive they did a glucose tolerance test.

    That was before everyone was trying to get rich off of
    medical care.

    Premature diagnosis has caused so many to lose years of
    their lives and maybe made things worse by some
    treatment methods.

    We now have some tests that are indicated for a real
    diabetic. So many time times is easier to write a
    prescription and send the patient out the door. Also a
    money thing.

    Diabetes is not the only place we are insanity. The game is
    to get rich and richer.

    So often a person comes here to shill. Two or three phone
    calls verifies they are not diabetics and are know for con
    type of businesses.

    NOW, David why did you read this. It was not for you. Take
    care of your real problems it you recognize them. Why don't
    you tell the group about your history. It might interesting.
    Who knows? Guy

  5. "Bay Area Dave" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I didn't write the article. Ask the reporter.

    My own PERSONAL opinion is that it would find some false
    positives, but it WOULD find some true diabetics. I'm sure
    my own breath would have provided an accurate example of
    someone who's DM could have been spotted literally YEARS
    before the diagnosis. ANYTHING gets people tested more
    than the current status quo is a GOOD THING.

    My cousin was dx'd when she was 18 months old (or
    thereabouts) when her doctor came into the HOUSE!. He
    walked in and said "Your baby has diabetes". It was the
    smell of pear drops that pervaded the house as he hadn't
    even been near her.

    I've been in the company of diabetics who REEK of pear drops
    and I've suggested "someone" do a BG test. It doesn't go
    down well.

    Beav

  6. "Beav" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My cousin was dx'd when she was 18 months old (or
    thereabouts) when her doctor came into the HOUSE!. He
    walked in and said "Your baby has


    diabetes".

    Quoted message said:

    It was the smell of pear drops that pervaded the house as
    he hadn't even been near her.

    I've been in the company of diabetics who REEK of pear
    drops and I've suggested "someone" do a BG test. It
    doesn't go down well.

    Silly question perhaps, but... What are pear drops? And I
    have heard of some Drs. who can diagnose some things by the
    way the breath or other parts of the body smells. Can't
    remember the name of this parituclar type of Dr. and I've
    never been to one.

    --
    Type 2 users.bestweb.net~jbove

  7. what are pear drops?? I thought you meant tears, but you
    wrote "pear" twice.

    dave

    Beav said:

    "Bay Area Dave" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I didn't write the article. Ask the reporter.

    My own PERSONAL opinion is that it would find some false
    positives, but it WOULD find some true diabetics. I'm sure
    my own breath would have provided an accurate example of
    someone who's DM could have been spotted literally YEARS
    before the diagnosis. ANYTHING gets people tested more
    than the current status quo is a GOOD THING.

    My cousin was dx'd when she was 18 months old (or
    thereabouts) when her doctor came into the HOUSE!. He
    walked in and said "Your baby has diabetes". It was the
    smell of pear drops that pervaded the house as he hadn't
    even been near her.

    I've been in the company of diabetics who REEK of pear
    drops and I've suggested "someone" do a BG test. It
    doesn't go down well.

    Beav

  8. Julie Bove said:

    Silly question perhaps, but... What are pear drops?

    Glad somebody asked before I had to display my ignorance:-)

    Quoted message said:

    And I have heard of some Drs. who can diagnose some things
    by the way the breath or other parts of the body smells.
    Can't remember the name of this parituclar type of Dr. and
    I've never been to one.

    They're called "experienced family doctors"; not many of
    them around these days. Unfortunately the price for finding
    one with experience may be that you've also found one who is
    behind the times.

    Hopefully, you may find the best of both worlds - experience
    and current knowledge.

    Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and
    carbs to email.
    --
    Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

  9. Julie Bove said:

    ... Silly question perhaps, but... What are pear drops?
    And I have heard of some Drs. who can diagnose some
    things by the way the breath or other parts of the body
    smells. Can't remember the name of this parituclar type
    of Dr. and I've never been to one.

    I googled "pear drops" and all the hits are candy shops in
    the U.K. This one says "Pear Drops - pink and yellow boiled
    sweets with a wonderful flavour of pears":
    aquarterof.co.ukPear Drops.html

    -Wayne

  10. Julie Bove said:


    Silly question perhaps, but... What are pear drops? And I
    have heard of some Drs. who can diagnose some things by
    the way the breath or other parts of the body smells.
    Can't remember the name of this parituclar type of Dr. and
    I've never been to one.

    Most older family G.Ps used this as one of their diagnostic
    methods before we had all of the modern lab tests.

    BJ

  11. "Julie Bove" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Beav" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My cousin was dx'd when she was 18 months old (or
    thereabouts) when her doctor came into the HOUSE!. He
    walked in and said "Your baby has


    diabetes".

    Quoted message said:

    It was the smell of pear drops that pervaded the house
    as he hadn't even been near her.

    I've been in the company of diabetics who REEK of pear
    drops and I've suggested "someone" do a BG test. It
    doesn't go down well.

    Silly question perhaps, but... What are pear drops?

    Not silly if you've never had pear drops:-))

    They're toffees made of our favourite thing: pure sugar, but
    they have a very distinct flavour. I don't know why they're
    called "Pear drops" (apart from their shape which
    is......PEAR SHAPED:-)) coz they don't smell anything like
    pears, even if you drop 'em:-) they actually smell very
    "sharp" and

    They tasted superb though!

    Beav

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.