Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

New rear tire installed...

Started by C.J.Patten · · Last activity · 7 posts · 639 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
29 June 2005
Last activity
29 June 2005
Original author
C.J.Patten
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
639
Views / 30 days
1

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Wow.

    I just got back from my first ride after installing a touring tire on the
    rear wheel of my bike.
    (20" rim folder) What a difference!

    Old tire: Innova 54-406 (20"x1.95) knobby (or "semi" at least)
    New tire: Vee-Rubber 47-406 (20"x1.75"😉 tourer

    I just rode 10km averaging 3km/hr faster than usual - and I don't feel
    nearly as tired as I did on the old tire!

    How much of this is just psychological? Surely not all of it...

    Boy was that fun!

    😄

    HUGE thank you to Sheldon Brown - I was reading either a post or a page from
    the Harris Cyclery discussing the merits of same/different front/rear tires.
    I left the semi-knobby on the front wheel for now and I'm loving the
    handling of the bike. Nice and crisp in corners but so much faster...

    On the topic of "found while riding" - aside from getting a bit closer to
    enlightenment, I also found a lone platform pedal on my ride today...

    Chris

  2. C.J.Patten said:

    Wow.

    I just got back from my first ride after installing a touring tire on the
    rear wheel of my bike.
    (20" rim folder) What a difference!

    Old tire: Innova 54-406 (20"x1.95) knobby (or "semi" at least)
    New tire: Vee-Rubber 47-406 (20"x1.75"😉 tourer

    I just rode 10km averaging 3km/hr faster than usual - and I don't feel
    nearly as tired as I did on the old tire!

    How much of this is just psychological? Surely not all of it...

    Boy was that fun!

    😄

    HUGE thank you to Sheldon Brown - I was reading either a post or a page from
    the Harris Cyclery discussing the merits of same/different front/rear tires.
    I left the semi-knobby on the front wheel for now and I'm loving the
    handling of the bike. Nice and crisp in corners but so much faster...

    On the topic of "found while riding" - aside from getting a bit closer to
    enlightenment, I also found a lone platform pedal on my ride today...

    Chris

    Dear Chris,

    The psychological improvement (if any) should fade within
    two weeks, so you can watch your times for that.

    Meanwhile, you can go here, pick metric units, and fiddle
    with theoretical recumbent styles and front/rear tire
    choices:

    http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

    Using the defaults, I picked a short wheelbase equipped for
    commuting (a middling recumbent), stuck a pair of offroad
    1.75" tires (the worst knobbies), and got 28.7 km/h.

    When I swapped the rear knobby for a wide high pressure
    slick, the speed improved to 29.6 km/h.

    Stick a high pressure slick on the front, and the speed
    improves to 30.8 km/h.

    Now add a 3.5 km/h headwind, and the speed drops back to the
    original 28.7 km/h. Very few of us can notice a 2.2 mph
    headwind change--a very minor wind speed change can blow
    away a rolling resistance advantage, which is why
    calculators and wind tunnel tests are used more than
    attempts at repeated practical runs.

    One possible fudge factor: the calculator may not address
    the horrible wind drag of impressive knobs, which may be
    just as bad as their increased rolling resistance. The FAQ
    for the page shows that the increased drag of pedal cadence
    is noted, but I've found nothing about the relative
    aerodynamic drag of miniature rhino horns versus smooth
    tread.

    Carl Fogel

  3. C.J.Patten said:

    How much of this is just psychological? Surely not all of it...

    Some new carbon fiber insoles could surely add another 3kph?

    :P

    I wouldn't doubt your claims--though new gear does tend to make you happy
    and thus ride better--rubber is one of those things that does make a
    difference. No more knobby squirm to waste energy, that's a good thing.

  4. OH! Speaking of gear(s) - I was averaging one gear *higher* than I've been
    using over the past month. On my ride this morning, I felt like I was
    struggling in 14th gear - tonight, I was in 15th for most of the ride.

    The only thing niggling at me now is I have to start looking at buying a
    larger front chainring! (44 now...maybe a 54 next?)

    I found the source page I was reading last night:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#width

    I love your term: "squirm" Very fitting... 8D

    Chris

    "maxo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    C.J.Patten said:

    How much of this is just psychological? Surely not all of it...

    Some new carbon fiber insoles could surely add another 3kph?

    :P

    I wouldn't doubt your claims--though new gear does tend to make you happy
    and thus ride better--rubber is one of those things that does make a
    difference. No more knobby squirm to waste energy, that's a good thing.

  5. Very cool Carl. Thanks for the info - and detailed test results!
    I'm using a "wedgie" bike - a folding model with 20" wheels - that website
    is fantastic! I'll bookmark that.

    One thing on my mind: I'm VERY out of shape. I notice even slight changes
    during a ride.

    When I have a headwind (tonight's wind was ~4mph) I experience a noticable
    drag versus cross or downwind. My route takes me in all directions so I get
    this from all angles.

    The switch to the slick seemed just as pronounced a difference as the wind
    direction.

    Good suggestion - I'll wait a couple of weeks and see what comes of this. 😉

    Cheers!
    Chris

    p.s. now you got me wanting a WindCheetah recumbant. 8p

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Dear Chris,

    The psychological improvement (if any) should fade within
    two weeks, so you can watch your times for that.

    Meanwhile, you can go here, pick metric units, and fiddle
    with theoretical recumbent styles and front/rear tire
    choices:

    http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

    Using the defaults, I picked a short wheelbase equipped for
    commuting (a middling recumbent), stuck a pair of offroad
    1.75" tires (the worst knobbies), and got 28.7 km/h.

    When I swapped the rear knobby for a wide high pressure
    slick, the speed improved to 29.6 km/h.

    Stick a high pressure slick on the front, and the speed
    improves to 30.8 km/h.

    Now add a 3.5 km/h headwind, and the speed drops back to the
    original 28.7 km/h. Very few of us can notice a 2.2 mph
    headwind change--a very minor wind speed change can blow
    away a rolling resistance advantage, which is why
    calculators and wind tunnel tests are used more than
    attempts at repeated practical runs.

    One possible fudge factor: the calculator may not address
    the horrible wind drag of impressive knobs, which may be
    just as bad as their increased rolling resistance. The FAQ
    for the page shows that the increased drag of pedal cadence
    is noted, but I've found nothing about the relative
    aerodynamic drag of miniature rhino horns versus smooth
    tread.

    Carl Fogel

  6. C.J.Patten said:

    Wow.

    I just got back from my first ride after installing a touring tire on the
    rear wheel of my bike.
    (20" rim folder) What a difference!

    Old tire: Innova 54-406 (20"x1.95) knobby (or "semi" at least)
    New tire: Vee-Rubber 47-406 (20"x1.75"😉 tourer

    I just rode 10km averaging 3km/hr faster than usual - and I don't feel
    nearly as tired as I did on the old tire!

    How much of this is just psychological? Surely not all of it...

    Dunno in your case, but swapping from knobbies to slicks on one of the
    bikes here made a perceptible difference in the coasting range coming
    off one of the overpasses nearby. That bike doesn't have a comp, so I
    don't know what the speeds were.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  7. C.J.Patten said:

    Very cool Carl. Thanks for the info - and detailed test results!
    I'm using a "wedgie" bike - a folding model with 20" wheels - that website
    is fantastic! I'll bookmark that.

    One thing on my mind: I'm VERY out of shape. I notice even slight changes
    during a ride.

    When I have a headwind (tonight's wind was ~4mph) I experience a noticable
    drag versus cross or downwind. My route takes me in all directions so I get
    this from all angles.

    The switch to the slick seemed just as pronounced a difference as the wind
    direction.

    Good suggestion - I'll wait a couple of weeks and see what comes of this. 😉

    Cheers!
    Chris

    p.s. now you got me wanting a WindCheetah recumbant. 8p

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Dear Chris,

    The psychological improvement (if any) should fade within
    two weeks, so you can watch your times for that.

    Meanwhile, you can go here, pick metric units, and fiddle
    with theoretical recumbent styles and front/rear tire
    choices:

    http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

    Using the defaults, I picked a short wheelbase equipped for
    commuting (a middling recumbent), stuck a pair of offroad
    1.75" tires (the worst knobbies), and got 28.7 km/h.

    When I swapped the rear knobby for a wide high pressure
    slick, the speed improved to 29.6 km/h.

    Stick a high pressure slick on the front, and the speed
    improves to 30.8 km/h.

    Now add a 3.5 km/h headwind, and the speed drops back to the
    original 28.7 km/h. Very few of us can notice a 2.2 mph
    headwind change--a very minor wind speed change can blow
    away a rolling resistance advantage, which is why
    calculators and wind tunnel tests are used more than
    attempts at repeated practical runs.

    One possible fudge factor: the calculator may not address
    the horrible wind drag of impressive knobs, which may be
    just as bad as their increased rolling resistance. The FAQ
    for the page shows that the increased drag of pedal cadence
    is noted, but I've found nothing about the relative
    aerodynamic drag of miniature rhino horns versus smooth
    tread.

    Carl Fogel

    Dear Chris,

    It's annoying, but many initial improvements turn out to
    involve a fair amount of the new-toy syndrome--we pay more
    attention to what we're doing when we first play with our
    new toys, and consequently pedal more steadily than we
    normally do.

    We often feel a tremendous improvement with a slightly
    lighter bike and even find our times reflecting some of this
    sensation--but the physics involved indicates that the
    actual improvement due to the weight savings is scarcely
    measurable.

    Still, there's nothing wrong with trying new toys to keep
    our interest up and the manufacturers solvent.

    And your switch to a slick instead of a knobby should indeed
    improve your time slightly because of reduced rolling
    resistance, slightly because of reduced wind drag, and
    slightly because you rode off on your test ride more
    interested.

    As for the wind, there's regrettably a good deal of drag in
    a crosswind.

    Jobst Brandt's theory and testing suggest that at reasonable
    biking speeds, a reasonable wind doesn't go neutral until
    it's around 10 degrees behind the rider:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/wind.html#milliken

    For recumbents, here's another speed calculator to play
    with, which has some tire tables:

    http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/simul/HPV_Simul.asp

    There are so many variables and so many assumptions in these
    calculators that they're unlikely to agree perfectly, but in
    general they give a fairly good idea of what's going on.

    Fooling around with different weights, tires, winds, and
    positions will give a notion of what kind of effects can
    reasonably be expected, as opposed to what the wicked
    marketing departments claim and virtuous riders mistakenly
    think.

    Carl Fogel

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.