new rear tire recommendations?

GV2013

Jun 6, 2010
My back tire is pretty much dead(worn almost smooth down the center) and I am looking for a new one. What kind of tires do you guys use in the rear? Most of the riding I do is on singletrack with a fair amount of climbing. I have also been thinking about getting into racing, but not sure if that would affect what tire I should get. Tires are 26x2.2.

I like 26 x 1.9 or 2.0
Foldable (most modern tyres are) which are much easier to take out or back in for punctures.
Maxxis Ignitor wore out too soon, other models last longer, ask your LBS, but tell them to be honest !!

will different width tires fit on my wheels or do they have to be the same as the ones that came on it? I have never gotten any tires that differed in dimensions from the originals.

im fairly new to MTB, but i would say same rims will do. Anyway it is specified on the tires.
I changed from 2.0 to 1.95 on the same rims no problem. It was a big advantage for me because i did a long holiday trip on gravel but fairly flat roads, wider tires slow you up quite a bit on long distances.
Maxxis Larssen model seem more durable to me.
From road bike experience, anything with kevlar on it is great also

ended up getting a bontrager Jones XR, someone gave it to me for my birthday. Anyone ever used them before?

GV2013 said:
ended up getting a bontrager Jones XR, someone gave it to me for my birthday. Anyone ever used them before?

I have the Jones XR's on my Trek(stock tires). They are pretty quick on hardpack but not the most grippy tires for cornering. Especially if it gets a little loose.
It will be ok on the back but I am soon going to change the front one to something like a Bontrager XR2, XR4 or maybe a Maxxis High Roller.

The best rear tire I have ever used is the Continental Twister Supersonic: 26"x1.9", 180tpi, 370g. I like a thinner back tire for speed and digging into sugar sand. Despite it's light weight, I have only gotten 1 flat in 8 years of use. Highly recommend.

Scotty_Dog said:
I have only gotten 1 flat in 8 years of use. Highly recommend.

Wow 1 flat in 8 years, if I get 1 flat in a month I'm doing good. Between the thorns and rocks on most of the trails I ride they can be tough on tires.

My tires of preference are Kenda Nevegals 2.35 Sticky compound up front and the DTC (dual compound) on the back.

They have big lugs, I love the traction on both dry or wet rocks and roots. But they are definitely slow rollers, but I'm a slow roller too :). Not a tire I'd recommend for racing though.

GV2013 said:

How do you like your Jones XR? Are you using it on the front or rear? If front, how does it corner? What type of trails do you ride? (I'm looking for a great cornering front tire).

9911cycling said:
How do you like your Jones XR? Are you using it on the front or rear? If front, how does it corner? What type of trails do you ride? (I'm looking for a great cornering front tire).

I commented to the OP in the above threads, telling him I have the Bontrager Jones XR tires on my Trek. I am not happy with the way the front one corners. I ride mostly desert conditions, hardpack, loose over hardpack, rocky, sandy and gravelly. It is good on hardpack but not with anything looser. It might be an ok east coast or forest tire, with just enough moisture to keep the ground sticky, but then most any knobby will work in that.

I have the front one. Its decent, but all the trails I ride are a bit muddy and never incredibly dry. It works for the kind of trails I ride, but Im sure there are better tires out there.