New Road bike advice needed....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Rob Woozle, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Rob Woozle

    Rob Woozle Guest

    I am a MTBer who wants a road bike mainly for commuting but also for the odd triathlon and some
    training when I want some variety.

    $$$ are severely limited and I am hovering between an Avanti Edge, Avanti Sprint or the Giant OCR3.
    All are less than a grand which is my budget.

    Any recommendations or other bikes I should look at?

    Thanks, Rob

    Tags:

  2. Etxy

    Etxy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2003
    Out of the options there, go for the higher specced Avanti, or the Giant. The specifications are fairly similar (perhaps the giant has slightly better specs), but it basically comes down to your comfort on the bike. If you're set on a new bike, thats probably the best deals you can do. However, it would be well worth your while investigating the possibilities of a second hand bike. For a thousand bucks, second hand, you can get a whole lot of bike. You'd be looking at Carbon forks, possibly 105 componentry and decent wheels.

    The best advice I can give you is to check out a lot of bikes until you find one that is comfortable for you, for whilst, compared to many road bikes, $1000 isn't that much, its still a decent amount of money.

    Good luck!

  3. Malvern_star

    Malvern_star New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2002
    Have a look at the 2nd hand market too. Bikes tend to lose value fairly quickly and you can usually pick up some bargains. Some unridden and other times a really high quality but older bike for less than $1000.

    Cheers

  4. Rman

    Rman Guest

    "Rob Woozle" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am a MTBer who wants a road bike mainly for commuting but also for the
    odd
    > triathlon and some training when I want some variety.
    >
    > $$$ are severely limited and I am hovering between an Avanti Edge, Avanti Sprint or the Giant
    > OCR3. All are less than a grand which is my budget.
    >
    > Any recommendations or other bikes I should look at?

    For what it's worth, I purchased a Merida 901 in 2000 for $ 900 and have ridden it very hard.
    Consider Merida as well.

    If you are bike-wise, then I would go second hand, if you are not, go brand new.

  5. Sh

    Sh Guest

    "RMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    I too ride a Merida and it been OK, but you may like to consider that the Qld based Merida Cycling
    Team recently handed back their bikes and severe their sponsorship ties because they had trouble
    with the magnisium frames snapping and they are now looked after by Avanti.

    > For what it's worth, I purchased a Merida 901 in 2000 for $ 900 and have ridden it very hard.
    > Consider Merida as well.

  6. Mark Lee

    Mark Lee Guest

    "SH" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > I too ride a Merida and it been OK, but you may like to consider that the Qld based Merida Cycling
    > Team recently handed back their bikes and severe their sponsorship ties because they had trouble
    > with the magnisium frames snapping and they are now looked after by Avanti.

    They had trouble before the Mg frames with their Al ones breaking too. Mark Lee

  7. edd

    edd New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2003
    Check the Trading Post there are some real value
    second hand bikes out there. You can get lucky and find one that fits with all the fine quality bits !

  8. fuelrider

    fuelrider New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
  9. kusamochi

    kusamochi New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2003
    hey bob

    if you like it, I can give it to you bit cheaper. :D
    contact me if you are interested.
    I reckon my avanti is pretty good setup, I put a lot of efford upgrade and maintain it.

    Alan

  10. Rob Woozle

    Rob Woozle Guest

    Thanks for the heads up.

    I have bought a bike. After a lot of research and test rides I went away and found some extra cash
    and bought a Merida Road 904. Heaps of fun. The added couple of hundred dollars got me Tiagra
    shifters, drivetrain and a few other nice bits and pieces.

    Cheers, Rob

    fuelrider <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey Rob,
    >
    > Bought a bike yet? Check this out: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t36259.html

  11. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Out of the three, I would go for the Giant.

    However, I was recently in the market for a new cheap road bike to replace my commuting one. I considered Merida 901 and 902 and Trek 1000. But I ended up with a LearSport bike. I'd recommend you take a look at their line up. The price is very attractive. The Shimano components are the same regardless of the brand. The frame would be under question. The workmanship looks as good as other brands, and they offer 15 years warranty on the frame. This was convincing for me. The Lear7700 is based on pure Tiagra and a carbon fork which sells for $1099. An equivalent of this bike from a major brand with such a fork will fetch at least $700 more.