Road Cycling · Public discussion

new saddle

Started by Frank · · Last activity · 48 posts · 1,151 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
23 September 2004
Last activity
30 September 2004
Original author
Frank
Posts
48
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,151
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–48 of 48
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Pat Lamb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    GaryG said:

    "Zoot Katz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:16:59 -0700, <[email hidden]>,
    "GaryG" <garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote:

    >Adding a Brooks B-17 saddle to an 18 lb bike would increase the weight


    of

    Quoted message said:

    >the bike by about 5% (18.89 / 18 = 1.049444), and would be noticeable.
    >Would it slow me down "significantly"? Probably not. But, as I said,


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >prefer a light bike. I just don't like the idea of dragging excess


    baggage

    Quoted message said:

    >uphill, when there are lightweight, comfortable, reasonably priced
    >alternatives. I apply the same criteria to wheels, tires, tubes, and


    other

    Quoted message said:

    >components.

    Subtract the weight of the saddle it replaces.

    Perhaps I wasn't clear in my example, so here's the clarified version:

    Take a bike that weighs 18 lbs, with a Selle Italia SLR saddle


    installed.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Swap out the Selle Italia SLR saddle for a Brooks B-17. After the swap,


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    overall weight of the bike will have increased by 5%.

    To some people, this is no big deal. Likewise, for some people heavy
    wheelsets, frames, tires, etc. are no big deal. It depends on your


    weight,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    riding style, and cycling goals. Different strokes and all.

    I prefer to ride a light bike, and don't choose components that will
    increase weight when comfortable, reasonably priced, lightweight
    alternatives are readily available.

    GG

    No, Gary, you were very clear the first, second, third, etc. times.
    However, you're missing Zoot's point. If adding a Brooks saddle to
    your bike increases the weight you propel by 5% (including bike,
    saddle, and rider), then you are indeed a lightweight.

    Hmmm...so, we've devolved to name-calling, eh? I'd heard that members of
    the Church of the Copper Rivet were a prickly and defensive lot :-). BTW -
    I never said that adding a Brooks would increase the overall bike+rider
    weight by 5%...only the weight of the bike.

    But, seriously, if you're asserting that an additional 400+ grams on the
    bike is insignficant, at what point does additional weight become an issue?
    1 lb? 2 lbs? 5 lbs?

    From my perspective, excess weight is excess weight. I don't obsess about
    it (much), and clearly there are cost/benefit tradeoffs involved. But, if
    the choice is between two equally functional components, at roughly the same
    price point, I'll choose the lighter one most of the time. Since I average
    around 200,000 feet of climbing per year, I'm comfortable with my bias
    against heavyweight components. Ergo, no copper rivets for me, and I'm OK
    with that.

    GG

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    As pointed out previously, you're moving the weight of the rider and
    the bike up the hill.
    Void your bladder at the bottom if you're counting grams on the way
    up.
    --
    zk

    😉

  2. [cut]

    Quoted message said:


    Hmmm...so, we've devolved to name-calling, eh? I'd heard that members of
    the Church of the Copper Rivet were a prickly and defensive lot :-).
    BTW -
    I never said that adding a Brooks would increase the overall bike+rider
    weight by 5%...only the weight of the bike.

    But, seriously, if you're asserting that an additional 400+ grams on the
    bike is insignficant, at what point does additional weight become an
    issue?
    1 lb? 2 lbs? 5 lbs?

    From my perspective, excess weight is excess weight. I don't obsess
    about
    it (much), and clearly there are cost/benefit tradeoffs involved. But,
    if
    the choice is between two equally functional components, at roughly the
    same
    price point, I'll choose the lighter one most of the time. Since I
    average
    around 200,000 feet of climbing per year, I'm comfortable with my bias
    against heavyweight components. Ergo, no copper rivets for me, and I'm
    OK
    with that.

    GG

    I average as much climbing as I can get in CT, and I honestly care way
    more about function than weight. For me, my Brooks allows me to ride
    80-100 miles comfortably, which keeps me on the bike longer. My previous
    saddles didn't. Moreover, when I ride that long, my Camelback probably
    weighs as much as my darn bike, so I'm not really worried about shaving a
    few grams off my bike. By contrast, I just want to make sure that I get
    home when I'm 60+ miles away from home.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  3. garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com said:

    But, seriously, if you're asserting that an additional 400+ grams on the
    bike is insignficant, at what point does additional weight become an
    issue? 1 lb? 2 lbs? 5 lbs?

    It depends on the application. My heaviest bike is 10 lbs heavier than my
    lightest bike, and although it feels like it makes a bit of a difference, I
    haven't observed any change in my commute times, which includes a 4 km long
    8% grade hill.

    Quoted message said:

    From my perspective, excess weight is excess weight. I don't obsess
    about it (much), and clearly there are cost/benefit tradeoffs involved.
    But, if the choice is between two equally functional components, at
    roughly the same price point, I'll choose the lighter one most of the
    time.

    Well sure; and if I found a plastic saddle that was as comfortable as my
    Brooks and that I thought was just as aesthetically pleasing, that's
    probably what I would go with too. I wouldn't delude myself that it was
    saving me significant time while climbing, however.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
    over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
    --Matt Groening

  4. Benjamin Lewis said:

    I wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    About 0.5 %, obviously, if the hill is reasonably steep.

    Quoted message said:

    Sure, if by "reasonably steep" you mean "vertical" 🙂.

    I said "about 0.5 %", as on a hill that most people would see as
    "reasonably steep" most of the rider's effort goes into beating gravity.
    Rolling resistance increases only linearly with speed and is always
    quite small on a road bike. On steeper hills where even strong riders
    can't go faster than about 20 km/h aerodynamic drag is also a non-issue.
    So, without bothering to do the actual calculations, a good guess is
    around 0.4 %.

    -as

  5. Quoted message said:

    As pointed out previously, you're moving the weight of the rider and
    the bike up the hill.

    Not exactly. From an absolute efficiency standpoint, that's basically
    correct. But when you're off the saddle (climbing), you're essentially
    isolating your weight from that of the bike, and I find it very easy to tell
    the difference, in feel, between a bike that's a pound lighter than another
    one. Probably because you're swinging the bike back & forth underneath you,
    and (especially with a saddle's high center of gravity) you're changing the
    direction of that mass perhaps several hundred times. Obviously, this
    doesn't result in massive lost energy, since you recover nearly all of the
    energy as if it were a spring. But it definitely feels different.

    For what it's worth, when I'm riding my heavier bikes, I don't seem to mind
    the weight difference nearly as much when I stay seated.

    Quoted message said:

    Void your bladder at the bottom if you're counting grams on the way
    up.

    Heck, as you get older, you might not be carrying that much at any one point
    in time anyway. But heck, if you can use weight reduction as an excuse for
    having to stop more often, why not?

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "Zoot Katz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:16:59 -0700, <[email hidden]>,

    GaryG' garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com said:


    Adding a Brooks B-17 saddle to an 18 lb bike would increase the weight of
    the bike by about 5% (18.89 / 18 = 1.049444), and would be noticeable.
    Would it slow me down "significantly"? Probably not. But, as I said, I
    prefer a light bike. I just don't like the idea of dragging excess
    baggage
    uphill, when there are lightweight, comfortable, reasonably priced
    alternatives. I apply the same criteria to wheels, tires, tubes, and
    other
    components.

    Subtract the weight of the saddle it replaces.
    As pointed out previously, you're moving the weight of the rider and
    the bike up the hill.
    Void your bladder at the bottom if you're counting grams on the way
    up.
    --
    zk

  6. Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:

    As pointed out previously, you're moving the weight of the rider and
    the bike up the hill.

    Not exactly. From an absolute efficiency standpoint, that's basically
    correct. But when you're off the saddle (climbing), you're essentially
    isolating your weight from that of the bike, and I find it very easy to tell
    the difference, in feel, between a bike that's a pound lighter than another
    one. Probably because you're swinging the bike back & forth underneath you,
    and (especially with a saddle's high center of gravity) you're changing the
    direction of that mass perhaps several hundred times. Obviously, this
    doesn't result in massive lost energy, since you recover nearly all of the
    energy as if it were a spring. But it definitely feels different.

    For what it's worth, when I'm riding my heavier bikes, I don't seem to mind
    the weight difference nearly as much when I stay seated.

    I wonder if this is what "responsive" means when referring to a bicycle?
    You know, when we read an automobile review, "responsive" means it
    accelerates and brakes quickly, can turn sharply, and so forth. Those
    don't really mean anything on a bike; any bike accelerates as fast as
    the rider makes it, any bike (with decent brake pads) can skid, turn
    rate is determined by lean rate.

    Perhaps, then, when you're reading a review of a bike, "responsive"
    means something like "bike flops back and forth wildly when climbing out
    of the saddle."

    In the same vein, "twitchy steering" doesn't mean it oversteers; it
    means something like "bike wants to fall over when bars turned less than
    10 degrees."

    Anyone want to give odds on these definitions making it into
    Buycycling's FAQ?

    Pat
    early morning (CDT) retrogrouch

  7. Quoted message said:

    Perhaps, then, when you're reading a review of a bike, "responsive" means
    something like "bike flops back and forth wildly when climbing out of the
    saddle."

    In the same vein, "twitchy steering" doesn't mean it oversteers; it means
    something like "bike wants to fall over when bars turned less than 10
    degrees."

    It's definitely part of it, although geometry has a lot to do with how your
    bike handles when you're standing as well. A poorly-designed frameset will
    tend to "flop" from side to side when you're out of the saddle, due to a
    mis-match between the head tube angle and the fork rake.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone want to give odds on these definitions making it into Buycycling's
    FAQ?

    Zero, because it's too subjective for those who write & add to the FAQ. Oh,
    wait, you're talking about BUYcycling's FAQ, not the official usenet
    version. If it can be worded so it pleases the advertisers, I'm sure it
    would be added.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "Pat Lamb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:

    As pointed out previously, you're moving the weight of the rider and
    the bike up the hill.

    Not exactly. From an absolute efficiency standpoint, that's basically
    correct. But when you're off the saddle (climbing), you're essentially
    isolating your weight from that of the bike, and I find it very easy to
    tell the difference, in feel, between a bike that's a pound lighter than
    another one. Probably because you're swinging the bike back & forth
    underneath you, and (especially with a saddle's high center of gravity)
    you're changing the direction of that mass perhaps several hundred times.
    Obviously, this doesn't result in massive lost energy, since you recover
    nearly all of the energy as if it were a spring. But it definitely feels
    different.

    For what it's worth, when I'm riding my heavier bikes, I don't seem to
    mind the weight difference nearly as much when I stay seated.

    I wonder if this is what "responsive" means when referring to a bicycle?
    You know, when we read an automobile review, "responsive" means it
    accelerates and brakes quickly, can turn sharply, and so forth. Those
    don't really mean anything on a bike; any bike accelerates as fast as the
    rider makes it, any bike (with decent brake pads) can skid, turn rate is
    determined by lean rate.

    Perhaps, then, when you're reading a review of a bike, "responsive" means
    something like "bike flops back and forth wildly when climbing out of the
    saddle."

    In the same vein, "twitchy steering" doesn't mean it oversteers; it means
    something like "bike wants to fall over when bars turned less than 10
    degrees."

    Anyone want to give odds on these definitions making it into Buycycling's
    FAQ?

    Pat
    early morning (CDT) retrogrouch

  8. Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps, then, when you're reading a review of a bike, "responsive" means
    something like "bike flops back and forth wildly when climbing out of the
    saddle."

    In the same vein, "twitchy steering" doesn't mean it oversteers; it means
    something like "bike wants to fall over when bars turned less than 10
    degrees."

    It's definitely part of it, although geometry has a lot to do with how your
    bike handles when you're standing as well. A poorly-designed frameset will
    tend to "flop" from side to side when you're out of the saddle, due to a
    mis-match between the head tube angle and the fork rake.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone want to give odds on these definitions making it into Buycycling's
    FAQ?

    Zero, because it's too subjective for those who write & add to the FAQ. Oh,
    wait, you're talking about BUYcycling's FAQ, not the official usenet
    version. If it can be worded so it pleases the advertisers, I'm sure it
    would be added.

    Yeah, I was a bit pejorative there. It was a surprise to me when it
    finally filtered through my thick skull (what, two days after reading
    your post?) that "reponsive" in a bike review was nothing like
    "responsive" in a car review.

    I do notice the difference when I'm not commuting, and take the panniers
    off my touring bike -- it's a lot different, at least for 15 seconds or
    so. After that I just don't notice the difference very much, except on
    those hills.

    "Responsive," given this daffynition, seems like an over-hyped,
    misunderstood term for the average bicyclist. I'm really not trying to
    insult you here, Mike; I know you have to sell bikes to make a living.
    But pitching a bike on how well it "responds" laterally is like
    discussing an NFL running back based on how well he jukes side to side
    in the backfield. I'd think most cyclists are more interested in axial
    responsivity, moving forward -- like NFL backs are rated on how many
    yards they move the ball up the field, vs. sideways. Or am I missing
    something, the human side, that deals with how lateral responsivity is
    perceived as being fun, part of what makes a cyclist want to get out and
    ride? How much of the enjoyable cycling experience (what you REALLY
    want to sell), is bound up in that perception?

    Pat

    Quoted message said:

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "Pat Lamb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mike Jacoubowsky said:

    >As pointed out previously, you're moving the weight of the rider and
    >the bike up the hill.

    Not exactly. From an absolute efficiency standpoint, that's basically
    correct. But when you're off the saddle (climbing), you're essentially
    isolating your weight from that of the bike, and I find it very easy to
    tell the difference, in feel, between a bike that's a pound lighter than
    another one. Probably because you're swinging the bike back & forth
    underneath you, and (especially with a saddle's high center of gravity)
    you're changing the direction of that mass perhaps several hundred times.
    Obviously, this doesn't result in massive lost energy, since you recover
    nearly all of the energy as if it were a spring. But it definitely feels
    different.

    For what it's worth, when I'm riding my heavier bikes, I don't seem to
    mind the weight difference nearly as much when I stay seated.

    I wonder if this is what "responsive" means when referring to a bicycle?
    You know, when we read an automobile review, "responsive" means it
    accelerates and brakes quickly, can turn sharply, and so forth. Those
    don't really mean anything on a bike; any bike accelerates as fast as the
    rider makes it, any bike (with decent brake pads) can skid, turn rate is
    determined by lean rate.

    Perhaps, then, when you're reading a review of a bike, "responsive" means
    something like "bike flops back and forth wildly when climbing out of the
    saddle."

    In the same vein, "twitchy steering" doesn't mean it oversteers; it means
    something like "bike wants to fall over when bars turned less than 10
    degrees."

    Anyone want to give odds on these definitions making it into Buycycling's
    FAQ?

    Pat
    early morning (CDT) retrogrouch

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.