rec.sport.unicycling ยท Public discussion

new spray job coming up.

Started by zippy ยท ยท Last activity ยท 18 posts ยท 374 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
19 July 2006
Last activity
28 July 2006
Original author
zippy
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
374
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1โ€“18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I just put in my KH20 for a new powdercoat at my local, and it's gonna
    cost me around 15 quid max ๐Ÿ˜„

    Having it in sky blue.

    --
    zippy

    *'Muni time trial weekend.' (http://tinyurl.com/q5z7m) 1st-3rd
    September.*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  2. Woah, thats cheap! Where are you getting it done?

    Rock on!
    Edd

    --
    Eddbmxdude

    Its like England here....Iv never seen so much sun!

    "May you tread lightly through the dark time of the day and may your
    nose stay chunk-free." - Mrboogiejuice

    "Unicycling only makes you look like a freak when you're riding." -
    Unisteve
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Eddbmxdude's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11584
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  3. zippy said:

    I just put in my KH20 for a new powdercoat at my local, and it's gonna
    cost me around 15 quid max ๐Ÿ˜„

    Having it in sky blue.

    What's that in USD? My guess is that it's roughly $25...which *is*
    cheap! Good deal!

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

    *My Video Gallery*: http://tinyurl.com/e6wt5
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  4. terrybigwheel said:

    What's that in USD? My guess is that it's roughly $25...which *is*
    cheap! Good deal!

    It's about $27.50 at the current exchange rate.

    ยฃ15 is pretty cheap - the place where I had my muni frame done charged
    me ยฃ20 for sand blasting and powder coating, and I thought that was a
    good price.

    I like the "KH blue" though - if I had one I'd leave it alone.

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
    weekend in May 2006
    Same again next year anyone? It'll be dry, I promise.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  5. that sounds awesome. The only thing I don't like about the KH blue, is
    that everyone one else with KH's have it.

    --
    mornish

    Quoted message said:

    <>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO<><

    trials_uni said:

    Where did you hear that Bedford unis are not strong? They are the best
    thing since sliced bread!!


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mornish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11658
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  6. guy actually said around a tenner, but i rekon 15 ๐Ÿ˜„

    --
    zippy

    *'Muni time trial weekend.' (http://tinyurl.com/q5z7m) 1st-3rd
    September.*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  7. zippy said:

    guy actually said around a tenner, but i rekon 15 ๐Ÿ˜„

    I'm gonna strip my kh down to bare aluminum, and leave it thataway!๐Ÿ˜„
    And unlike steel, it won't rust!

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

    *My Video Gallery*: http://tinyurl.com/e6wt5
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  8. no it oxidizes ๐Ÿ˜‰

    --
    zippy

    *'Muni time trial weekend.' (http://tinyurl.com/q5z7m) 1st-3rd
    September.*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  9. zippy said:

    no it oxidizes ๐Ÿ˜‰

    I thought I read somehwere here that it won't even oxidize. The "KH"
    for example that's onthe frame is simply the bare aluminum, and *not*
    painted on, and that hasn't oxidized, so I'm not sure.

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

    *My Video Gallery*: http://tinyurl.com/e6wt5
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  10. terrybigwheel said:

    I thought I read somehwere here that it won't even oxidize.

    If they are anodised before painting (or if you get it anodised after
    you strip it) it won't oxidise - if it's just bare aluminium it'll be
    covered in white powder before long.

    --
    rob.northcott

    'Dartmoor Muni Weekend'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46116) - Last
    weekend in May 2006
    Same again next year anyone? It'll be dry, I promise.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob.northcott's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  11. wait a second...the reason aluminum is cool is because it oxidizes, but
    just slightly...

    when the Aluminum is first exposed to oxygen, it forms a thin layer of
    Aluminum oxide (Al2O3) and this *thin* layer of oxide (like, a few
    molecules) protects the rest of aluminum from oxidizing. when that
    layer is scraped off, a new layer forms that is a few molecules thick.

    i mean, i -think- that's how it happens. So, IMHO, bare aluminum
    should be just fine.

    --
    onelesscar

    mmm...i love my qu-ax...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onelesscar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11127
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  12. Aha! Just found this on the wikipedia page on Aluminum Oxide:

    Quoted message said:

    Aluminium oxide is responsible for metallic aluminium's resistance to
    weathering. Metallic aluminium is very reactive with atmospheric
    oxygen, and a thin passivation layer of aluminium oxide quickly forms
    on any exposed aluminium surface. This layer protects the metal from
    further oxidation. The thickness and properties of this oxide layer can
    be enhanced using a process called anodising.

    So anodizing is just a process to thicken and enhance Aluminum's
    natural coating. Also, earlier in the article it talks about how
    Aluminum Oxide is very hard, so it shouldn't come off very easily into
    a white powder...

    Once again, i think bare aluminum would be very cool and perfectly
    okay.

    --
    onelesscar

    mmm...i love my qu-ax...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onelesscar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11127
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  13. ok finally got it done, needs threading to get the paint out of the
    thread, but it's not a perfect job, they powder coated over the
    original colour ๐Ÿ˜„

    So it's a sky blue ๐Ÿ™‚ for only ยฃ10

    --
    zippy

    *'Muni time trial weekend.' (http://tinyurl.com/q5z7m) 1st-3rd
    September.*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  14. Picture?:p

    --
    Radical Reed

    sorry cheese lovers your outa my sig
    'sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com/)
    ' .' (http://nickciske.com/tools/binary.php)
    'LBS' (http://www.mbps.ca/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Radical Reed's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10427
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  15. i thought they already were sky blue?

    --
    iridemymuni

    Evan Byrne said:

    hope you like my super crappy present, but hey, you said you needed a
    wrench.

    ~~hold bananas and chug counterfeit tobasco for christ~~
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  16. no they was biro blue ๐Ÿ˜‰

    [image: http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1215/untitled1za4.png]

    --
    zippy

    *'Muni time trial weekend.' (http://tinyurl.com/q5z7m) 1st-3rd
    September.*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  17. ohhhh. thats cool colour

    --
    iridemymuni

    Evan Byrne said:

    hope you like my super crappy present, but hey, you said you needed a
    wrench.

    ~~hold bananas and chug counterfeit tobasco for christ~~
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

  18. Very nice! The colour looks great.

    If I could choose a new colour for my uni it would be very simiar to
    that one.

    --
    domesticated ape
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    domesticated ape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8599
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/51289

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users ยท 0 guests ยท0 bots ยท0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.