Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

new SRAM rear derailleur works poorly

Started by Marc Rosenbaum · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,475 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
28 September 2003
Last activity
29 September 2003
Original author
Marc Rosenbaum
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,475
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My brand new Volae Club LX has a SRAM X.9 rear derailleur. It shists fine in the largest 3 cogs, and
    in the smallest cog (12-27 Ultegra cassette. IN the mid-range, it grinds and sounds badly
    misadjusted, and skips, and occasionally changes gears all by itself (I have an automatic
    transmission!) The only pertinent adjustment that I see is the cable tension on the SRAM shifter.
    But if the cable tension is off, why would it shift fine in some of the gears?

    Any thoughts on what to look for would be approeciated. The derailleur appears to be straight (not a
    bent hanger) as far as I can see.

    Thanks

    Marc Rosenbaum

  2. Sounds like your derailleur hangar is tweaked a bit. Look and see if the derailleur pulleys and the
    cog that you are supposed to be in are all lined up.

    (Marc Rosenbaum) said:

    My brand new Volae Club LX has a SRAM X.9 rear derailleur. It shists fine in the largest 3 cogs,
    and in the smallest cog (12-27 Ultegra cassette. IN the mid-range, it grinds and sounds badly
    misadjusted, and skips, and occasionally changes gears all by itself (I have an automatic
    transmission!) The only pertinent adjustment that I see is the cable tension on the SRAM shifter.
    But if the cable tension is off, why would it shift fine in some of the gears?

    Any thoughts on what to look for would be approeciated. The derailleur appears to be straight (not
    a bent hanger) as far as I can see.

    Thanks

    Marc Rosenbaum

    Bryan J. Ball Editor/Publisher www.bentrideronline.com

  3. I would get s Shimano xt and get it over with. "Marc Rosenbaum" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My brand new Volae Club LX has a SRAM X.9 rear derailleur. It shists fine in the largest 3 cogs,
    and in the smallest cog (12-27 Ultegra cassette. IN the mid-range, it grinds and sounds badly
    misadjusted, and skips, and occasionally changes gears all by itself (I have an automatic
    transmission!) The only pertinent adjustment that I see is the cable tension on the SRAM shifter.
    But if the cable tension is off, why would it shift fine in some of the gears?

    Any thoughts on what to look for would be approeciated. The derailleur appears to be straight (not
    a bent hanger) as far as I can see.

    Thanks

    Marc Rosenbaum

  4. "Marc Rosenbaum" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My brand new Volae Club LX has a SRAM X.9 rear derailleur. It shists fine in the largest 3 cogs,
    and in the smallest cog (12-27 Ultegra cassette. IN the mid-range, it grinds and sounds badly
    misadjusted, and skips, and occasionally changes gears all by itself (I have an automatic
    transmission!) The only pertinent adjustment that I see is the cable tension on the SRAM shifter.
    But if the cable tension is off, why would it shift fine in some of the gears?

    Any thoughts on what to look for would be approeciated. The derailleur appears to be straight (not
    a bent hanger) as far as I can see.

    Thanks

    I had the exact same problem on my SRAM 9.0 rear derailleur. I downloaded the SRAM tech manual off
    the internet--it even has troubleshoot charts--and quickly fixed the problem. Turns out my chain gap
    was way off (gap is suppose to be about 6 mm, mine was about 3 times that). So I simply adjusted one
    hex screw to make the gap correct, and now my V-Rex shifts very smoothly and hasn't skipped ever
    since (that was 750 miles ago).

    I'm not sure where to find the current manual, but the 2001 manual I found was at
    www.sram24.com/techdoc/english/dealers/technicalmanuals/ pdf/2001/DTM_MTB_MY01_E.PDF

  5. I agree. Most any shifting problem that is related to adjustment can be corrected by the adjusting
    barrell on the grip shifter itself, on the fly, provided that your high gear (small cog) stop
    adjustment is correct. A misaligned (bent) derailer hanger can cause the symptoms you describe. But
    then again there is another murphy that I see from time to time and that is an improperly assembled
    cassette. Its hard to do but can be done. The last small cog can be put on in such a way (cocked) as
    to cause the 2nd and 3rd cogs to be loose and the 1st to be crooked. I have have lost count of the
    number of tune ups I have done in the past 25 years. I can say I have seen more murphys in a year
    than most see in a lifetime. Deraileur systems and their alignment can be tricky wickets for some
    and simple for others. As for the poster that commented about XTR..I put a SRAM XO deraileur on my
    AERO and it works just as well as the XTR did. SRAM's lesser deraileurs 5.0 and 3.0 are not the
    greatest but set up properly they will shift as well as Shimano deraileurs in the same quality
    range. However, That said the 5.0 Sram stuff on my 98' BikeE AT still works flawlessly. 25 years ago
    Campy or SunTour users called it [censored].
    --
    Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and Sports,
    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "'BentRider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Sounds like your derailleur hangar is tweaked a bit. Look and see if the derailleur pulleys and
    the cog that you are supposed to be in are all lined up.

    (Marc Rosenbaum) said:

    My brand new Volae Club LX has a SRAM X.9 rear derailleur. It shists fine in the largest 3 cogs,
    and in the smallest cog (12-27 Ultegra cassette. IN the mid-range, it grinds and sounds badly
    misadjusted, and skips, and occasionally changes gears all by itself (I have an automatic
    transmission!) The only pertinent adjustment that I see is the cable tension on the SRAM shifter.
    But if the cable tension is off, why would it shift fine in some of the gears?

    Any thoughts on what to look for would be approeciated. The derailleur appears to be straight
    (not a bent hanger) as far as I can see.

    Thanks

    Marc Rosenbaum

    Bryan J. Ball Editor/Publisher www.bentrideronline.com

  6. Thanks very much for your responses to my derailleur post. I hung the bike yesterday from the garage
    ceiling and it looks as though the tension adjustment may have done the trick. I'm not certain why
    improper cable tension would allow the derailleur to shift well in some gears and poorly in others,
    but if it works, great. I'll road test today.

    I've only ridden 15 miles (one ride) on this new bike but I can see that I will probably want to
    change the gearing for the hilly place I
    live. I have always preferred a tight cluster and wide range chainrings. The bike came with a 52 42
    30 Truvativ Elita and an Ultegra front derailleur. I have a 12-27 rear. I'm thinking I'd like
    to change the small front ring to 24 if possible (I have a couple) or 26 if that won't work.
    Then get a custom cassette such as 11 12 13 14 16 18 20 23 27 so I can have higher top end (I
    was in top gear 52-12 on my maiden voyage on a nearly flat road) and get the granny I need
    around here.

    Will the Ultegra front work for this? If not, what might you suggest?

    "Jude T. McGloin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Deraileur systems and their alignment can be tricky wickets for some and simple for others.
    As for the poster that commented about XTR..I put a SRAM XO deraileur on my AERO and it
    works just as well as the XTR did. SRAM's lesser deraileurs 5.0 and 3.0 are not the greatest
    but set up properly they will shift as well as Shimano deraileurs in the same quality range.
    However, That said the 5.0 Sram stuff on my 98' BikeE AT still works flawlessly. 25 years
    ago Campy or SunTour users called it [censored].
    --
    Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and
    Sports, Inc 1-800-586-6645

  7. Just confirming that the cable tension adjuster adjustment fixed the problem - no problems on my
    road test today.

    Thanks

    "Jude T. McGloin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I agree. Most any shifting problem that is related to adjustment can be corrected by the adjusting
    barrell on the grip shifter itself, on the fly, provided that your high gear (small cog) stop
    adjustment is correct. A misaligned (bent) derailer hanger can cause the symptoms you describe.
    But then again there is another murphy that I see from time to time and that is an improperly
    assembled cassette. Its hard to do but can be done. The last small cog can be put on in such a way
    (cocked) as to cause the 2nd and 3rd cogs to be loose and the 1st to be crooked. I have have lost
    count of the number of tune ups I have done in the past 25 years. I can say I have seen more
    murphys in a year than most see in a lifetime. Deraileur systems and their alignment can be tricky
    wickets for some and simple for others. As for the poster that commented about XTR..I put a SRAM
    XO deraileur on my AERO and it works just as well as the XTR did. SRAM's lesser deraileurs 5.0 and
    3.0 are not the greatest but set up properly they will shift as well as Shimano deraileurs in the
    same quality range. However, That said the 5.0 Sram stuff on my 98' BikeE AT still works
    flawlessly. 25 years ago Campy or SunTour users called it [censored].
    --
    Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and
    Sports, Inc 1-800-586-6645 "'BentRider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Sounds like your derailleur hangar is tweaked a bit. Look and see if the derailleur pulleys and
    the cog that you are supposed to be in are all lined up.

    (Marc Rosenbaum) said:

    My brand new Volae Club LX has a SRAM X.9 rear derailleur. It shists fine in the largest 3
    cogs, and in the smallest cog (12-27 Ultegra cassette. IN the mid-range, it grinds and sounds
    badly misadjusted, and skips, and occasionally changes gears all by itself (I have an automatic
    transmission!) The only pertinent adjustment that I see is the cable tension on the SRAM
    shifter. But if the cable tension is off, why would it shift fine in some of the gears?

    Any thoughts on what to look for would be approeciated. The derailleur appears to be straight
    (not a bent hanger) as far as I can see.

    Thanks

    Marc Rosenbaum

    Bryan J. Ball Editor/Publisher www.bentrideronline.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.