UK and Europe · Public discussion

New Statesman article

Started by Colin Blackburn · · Last activity · 22 posts · 1,029 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
5 April 2004
Last activity
20 April 2004
Original author
Colin Blackburn
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,029
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–22 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Alan Braggins said:

    Wording it as "since selling my family's second car"
    rather than "since selling my car" might be less likely to
    get a "there's no way I could do that, I'll ignore the
    rest this letter" reaction.

    Yeah, maybe, but the mix of "we" and "my" implied it and the
    sentence was already long enough. Or something.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm currently evaluating having our second family car off
    the road for rather longer than planned waiting for a
    replacement part (the downside of a 15 year old car, but
    depreciation is less than your
    V70), but expecting it won't be permanent.

    The "new" V70 is six years old; the previous car (940) was
    also six years old when we bought it. We kept it for a bit
    over seven years, at the end of which it had depreciated
    most of what we paid for it but given excellent service in
    return. It didn't owe us much but was starting to get a bit
    tired. A competent DIY mechanic (which of course I am) could
    keep it going indefinitely, but given that we only have one
    car I want to be sure it is as reliable and versatile as
    possible. And I really couldn't be bothered to change the
    cambelt idler or track down the one lazy tappet (how do you
    find the little bugger when it's mixed up with fifteen of
    its mates?).

    The second car, the one we sold, was a Honda Civic, and my
    neighbour who bought it is still absolutely delighted with
    it. If it wasn't for the camping and the triplet we'd
    probably settle for another Civic, esp. since my BIL works
    for a Honda dealership.

    Who am I kidding? No Civic ever had seats like those in
    the V70 ;-)

    --
    Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  2. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    And I really couldn't be bothered to change the cambelt
    idler or track down the one lazy tappet (how do you find
    the little bugger when it's mixed up with fifteen of its
    mates?).

    Wiggle it, just a little bit. [1]

    Fiddly and time consuming, but you'll find the bugger in
    the end as you'll be able to feel the difference. I've done
    this a couple of times when I used to do my own car
    maintenance (and those days will probably return soonish).
    Filthy, irritating job, but you do get the sense of
    satisfaction from not forking out hundreds for the sake of
    a few hours work.

    Graeme

    [1] Yep, that song was going through my head when I did it.
    Bloody annoying after a few hundred repetitions of the
    chorus (who knows if there was even anything other than
    the chorus!).

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.